Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:37 pm 

Couple got in the other night, said where they wanted to go (eventually) so I just got going. I assumed they were an item.

Got to the destination, I asked for £30, guy gave me £15 and disappeared inside. I think the girl had intended going with him, but changed her mind, and asked me to take her on a bit to her own home.

I asked her for another £20 (ie £35 total), but she disputed that, and I think she thought that the guy was going to pay the full fare, but he disappeared.

I said that her arrangement with the guy was nothing to do with me, and that she was liable for the difference in the fare.

So what's the precise legal position here?

(I did get the money after a bit of minor abuse and aggression, and I had taken a couple of pounds off the metered fare. She was also one of those who says she normally gets a taxi home for £30 (which I wouldn't dispute, even though the metered fare is a couple of pounds higher), and then thinks two drops should be done for the same price.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:40 pm 

When people offer me part of the fare on a multi drop job I tell them to give it to the other person or the last one to be dropped off, that way there can be no dispute over the amount I have received. If your passenger knew that you had only been given £15 she has no excuse if she can see the meter clearly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:08 pm 

Quote:

They are both liable for the first part, and she was also liable to the last bit.

But a lot depends on what the punters said, who initiated the hire, and what was said when the fella got out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:05 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

They are both liable for the first part, and she was also liable to the last bit.

But a lot depends on what the punters said, who initiated the hire, and what was said when the fella got out.

with proper joint debts both parties are liable "equally and severally".........

i.e. if a partnership of 2 owes HMRC a total of £10,000 HMRC can ask BOTH for £10,000 til its paid...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:23 pm 

x-ray wrote:
When people offer me part of the fare on a multi drop job I tell them to give it to the other person or the last one to be dropped off, that way there can be no dispute over the amount I have received. If your passenger knew that you had only been given £15 she has no excuse if she can see the meter clearly.

Sound advice, but although I have done as you say sometimes, I'm normally more inclined to take the money on the basis that if things go belly up then I've at least got something to show for it.

Not often that people have disputed what another person has given me, and in fact in this case she didn't dispute that he'd given me £15, just that she didn't think she should be liable for the rest, and also thought I was overcharging her as well.

Think she thought the guy was going to pay the whole lot, and it was thus up to me to get the fare from the guy. Which was why I was questioning the exact legal position - my usual stance is that it's nothing to do with me what they agree between themselves, and thus last one out is responsible to me for the full amount.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:29 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

Well it was all a bit messy - that was part of the problem.

Guy was totally pished, basically, in fact I've had problems with him before - falling asleep, not having enough money etc, but normally all's worked out well in the end.

In fact wouldn't have taken him, or would have asked for money up front if he'd been on his own, but because the girl seemed quite sober, and it's a good fare, I just thought it would all work out OK.

So guy was incoherent, but eventually fished out £15, and said he'd go inside and get the rest. Girl said she'd stay in car until he came back. Never reappeared, and I knocked on his door, but no reply. Suspect he'd just fallen asleep the minute he got in.

Thing is he's a really nice and polite guy, just gets incredibly pished up, and don't think he tried to dodge the fare on purpose.

Anyway, girl then said she just wanted to go home and she would pay the fare, but things kicked off a bit by the time we got there :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:03 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
with proper joint debts both parties are liable "equally and severally".........

i.e. if a partnership of 2 owes HMRC a total of £10,000 HMRC can ask BOTH for £10,000 til its paid...

Yes, I think that's kind of how I look at it - last one out is responsible for the fare, unless they've made some kind of arrangement with me first.

How they split the fare is up to them, but nothing to do with me [-(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:39 pm 

And another thing, a couple of weeks previously a girl had asked me how much it would cost to get to a village about eight miles away. Can't remember if she offered a figure unprompted, or if I asked, but she said she normally paid £30. I said it would be a bit less than that. (She actually wanted the taxi for later on, and I didn't get the fare.)

But 99% certain that was the same girl as the one who kicked off a couple of weeks later, or at least one of her family.

Thing is she's not actually going to the village, but to a farm more than two miles beyond it, half a mile of which is up a bumpy farm track.

Of course, that kind of thing isn't that unusual - they say they're going to A but they're actually going to B - which partly explains why she kicked off. And also because she thought the guy would pay the fare for the trip to his house a couple of miles away.

I've no doubt she does normally get a taxi home for £30 (it meters about £32) but it's annoying when they're a bit dishonest about it, and that also led her to kick off on this particular occasion.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:57 pm 

Quote:
half a mile of which is up a bumpy farm track.

That's a no from me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:41 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

That's a no from me.

Prefer to avoid them, obviously, but usually quite good fares, so tend to grin and bear it.

Recall years ago though there was a couple who went up this farm road just out of town, which was very long and one of the worst around - underside of car scraped on the ridge up the middle of the road :evil:

Zero tip either, as I recall it :evil:

Wasn't up there for years, then got a young guy going up one night, was telling me that he'd given up his car because he'd wrecked the suspension going up the road after a few weeks. Aye, thanks for letting me know, that's really cheered me up. And no tip either. :evil:

Recall that when Prince William was a student here he actually moved into a farmhouse up that very road. So what about the unmarked Mondeo police car that used to cruise round town all the time he was here, bit hard on the suspension, no? Er, they got a nice new 4x4 :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:43 pm 

But another grey area that could be used as a 'reasonable excuse' to refuse fares.

Although, as I said, the farm road trips are usually decent fares, so the drivers just tend to grin and bear it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:57 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Although, as I said, the farm road trips are usually decent fares, so the drivers just tend to grin and bear it.

Had one the other night, and was a bit annoyed, but it was a £20 run, and can't afford to turn these trips down, particularly just now.

Have heard drivers talking about this road for years, but first time I've actually done this one since I started in 1998 :-o

By no means the worst farm road I've been on, but it must have been about half a mile in total :x

(Fare actually clocked at £19.80, and was a card job. Of course, she just said to round it up, didn't she? :evil: )

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:28 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

That's a no from me.

We losst a sump going up a farm track once.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:36 pm 

StuartW wrote:
StuartW wrote:

Had one the other night, and was a bit annoyed, but it was a £20 run, and can't afford to turn these trips down, particularly just now.

Have heard drivers talking about this road for years, but first time I've actually done this one since I started in 1998 :-o

By no means the worst farm road I've been on, but it must have been about half a mile in total :x

(Fare actually clocked at £19.80, and was a card job. Of course, she just said to round it up, didn't she? :evil: )

That is just horrible. [-X

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:06 am 

Sussex wrote:
StuartW wrote:
StuartW wrote:

That is just horrible. [-X

I work in a Hicksville country area and I would not use a road like that, it'd be farm road end only.