Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:15 am 

LondonCabbie7861 wrote:
I put another battery in, next day the cab started, cranked really slowly but fired up, think another few turns and it would not have started, it’s literally like try to start a car with dead battery, once i can get her to start I can use the Cab throughout the day with no problems, this start problem is only happening when I park it up overnight and try starting the next day.

Mr T headlights on with cab running or off?

Parasitic drains can be a nightmare to pinpoint, and the fused system causing it may be running several potential cause items.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:23 pm 

LondonCabbie7861 wrote:
I put another battery in, next day the cab started, cranked really slowly but fired up, think another few turns and it would not have started, it’s literally like try to start a car with dead battery, once i can get her to start I can use the Cab throughout the day with no problems, this start problem is only happening when I park it up overnight and try starting the next day.

off

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:52 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
LondonCabbie7861 wrote:

Parasitic drains can be a nightmare to pinpoint, and the fused system causing it may be running several potential cause items.

All my cabs that are parked up have the battery disconnected

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:00 pm 

LondonCabbie7861 wrote:

1 have you had a oil change lately
2 lazy starter motor from what you are saying this time

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:33 pm 

Thanks mate I’ll have a look into that, just have it in the boot,but just scratching my head as what could be causing battery to go flat overnight, once i get it to start I’ll have no problems throughout the day, it’s only when parked up overnight and doesn’t seem to start the next day.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:41 pm 

I am getting a parasitic drain from the taxi meter it’s showing around 0.036 and radio is showing 0.02 ive spoken to the taxi meter company and they said that draw is from the internal battery which is in the meter itself, Starter motor would just click and or if it’s jammed nothing will happen at all? This is a slow crank so engine will turn but really slow then the clicks and battery flat... I’ve literally checked everything,took out all the interior light bulbs, disconnected the radio, took out the taxi meter fuse and the radio fuse one by one but it’s happening, Thing is I don’t want to spend money on a starter and it turns out that I’ve still got the issue or even change the alternator, I’ve just purchased a new battery and I’m having the same issue as I did with my old battery,so spending £89 on a new battery has done nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:40 pm 

LondonCabbie7861 wrote:
I am getting a parasitic drain from the taxi meter it’s showing around 0.036 and radio is showing 0.02 ive spoken to the taxi meter company and they said that draw is from the internal battery which is in the meter itself, Starter motor would just click and or if it’s jammed nothing will happen at all? This is a slow crank so engine will turn but really slow then the clicks and battery flat... I’ve literally checked everything,took out all the interior light bulbs, disconnected the radio, took out the taxi meter fuse and the radio fuse one by one but it’s happening, Thing is I don’t want to spend money on a starter and it turns out that I’ve still got the issue or even change the alternator, I’ve just purchased a new battery and I’m having the same issue as I did with my old battery,so spending £89 on a new battery has done nothing.

look at your PM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:28 pm 

fit a battery off-lock

you MIGHT have a faulty alternator diode pack allowing back current/drain when vehicle is left

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:30 pm 

Certainly after a shift, take the red/POS+ cable off the battery terminal

if its fine next morning at least you can rule out the battery, and clean up the battery earth and engine eart straps

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:49 pm 

This a battery drop tester... (FYI)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:47 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:

Thats an old fashioned piece of Kit, as an apprentice car mechanic (not a technician) I spent a lot of time using those heavy duty discharge testers during the winter months..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:33 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

Thats an old fashioned piece of Kit, as an apprentice car mechanic (not a technician) I spent a lot of time using those heavy duty discharge testers during the winter months..

and they get fffffkin hot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:13 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:
bloodnock wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

I still have mine bought them in 1989 and still working good

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:02 am 

MR T wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
bloodnock wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

I still have mine bought them in 1989 and still working good

not much to go wrong though really, just a dial and big load resistor