Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: voyager renault rx8 Taxi
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:29 am 

hi all.
anybody got one of these, if so any reviews would be welcomed, looking into replacing my E7 with one of these, would like mercedes M8 but dont seem any luggage room in mercedes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:47 pm 

Quite a few on the cabs here in Chester, one major problem seems to be the timing chain. A couple have snapped catastrophically. They tend to be the ones who do the minimum amount of servicing. If you’re buying second hand, make sure it’s been serviced regularly before the 25,000 recommended interval.(my Vito’s schedule is around 22,000 but I give it an oil and filter every 10,000-11,000) if you’re buying new, do what I do!
The longer version is BIG.
DO NOT buy an auto, every single one around here, six or seven, has gone bang!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:45 pm 

Thanks X Ray
wont be buying lwb renault the swb for me is enough, lwb mrecedes m8 would be nice but nobody does the lwb, the only one ive seen is xlwb from taxi shop

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:06 pm 

All i can say that me and my mate brought a new cab on the same day. I got the Pro cab he brought the voyager renault. And he constantly says that he wishes he brought a procab. The ford custom is like driving a Executive car with all the toys the renault is more of a Agriculture van. But cab direct after sales can be TERRIBLE. But they do build the best cabs. My old E7 done over 411.000 and was still in perfect condition showing that the build quality is the best of the conversion. I would definitely take a look at the custom before you commit to the renault. Then you can be rest assured you have made the right decision for your needs Good luck things are going to get better this year

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:33 pm 

perry wrote:
But cab direct after sales can be TERRIBLE. But they do build the best cabs.

There’s no ‘can be terrible’ about it, it is terrible!
Do they build the best cab? You only have to compare the Penso built Vito to the M8 Vito to realise they don’t. Yes, the finish is better than voyagers, but it isn’t anywhere near as good as Penso.
Voyager vehicles tend to be a lot cheaper as well. Procab £38,795 Renault RX8 £30,995.
The Penso built Vito that cab direct now sell is only £3,000 more than the Procab, that’s where my money would be spent if it was my choice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:41 am 

Yes you are right on 2 accounts cab direct aftersales are terrible. And the vito is slightly better built but when i was looking at changing my E7 i went for the procab because i had a vito as a Courtesy cab when my cab was damaged in an accident. And at the time the vito was about £8000 dearer than the procab. And as the vito is basically designed for london. It had no boot space at all and only built as a 6 seater the only luggage space was up front which only carries 2 or 3 suitcase. Only had fm radio no fog lamps and ugly plastic wheel trims but was still £8000 dearer but the worst thing about it for me was the rear windows . dont open so aircom had to be constantly on. I personally dont like the Renault voyager conversion. But at the end of the day you have choose what's right for you

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:50 pm 

hi perry, how long you had procab have you had any problems with it

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:54 am 

Only problem was fare assisted doors got a bit intermittent. Brought it March 2020 done 32.000miles so far. It's Beautiful to drive and conversion is well built
But that was when cab direct aftersales went bad. They sent out an unqualified technician to repair the far assisted doors and in the process he dented both rear doors and they couldn't be opened from the inside when he left .Then a 3 month battle began.
If they had sent out someone with experience this wouldn't have happened
But if i put that battle behind me I'm very happy with it so far. But I've only done half the mileage i would normally do.

The reason I'm not happy with cab direct
I have brought all my new cabs from them spending around £100.000 and the service had been excellent.
This time they didn't give a sh_t about me or my future custom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:31 am 

I would also look at the new flexi cab ford custom conversion it definitely looks to be a better finsh than voyager. I was torn between the flexi cab and procab but went with cab direct because past experiences had been good.

WELL THEY USE TO BE GOOD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:41 pm 

ok thanks Perry, the only thing noticeably different from E7 TO Procab is it seems a lot higher to get into, also deciding as to buy it as a 6 or 7 passenger, i rarely us my front tip seat in E7 but always handy knowing you got an extra seat, but no front tip seat available for Procab or the Renault

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:22 pm 

I went for single passenger seat up front. The procab has a flat bulk head Which gives the passenger a full size seat with full leg room. Not like the E7 which has a dog Leg shape partition which makes the passenger side leg room tiny.
Hight getting in was also one of my main concerns for my customers. But to be honest with the massive self deploying steps it hasn't caused me any problems at all.
Ask flexi cab or cab direct for a free demo before you commit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:04 am 

i take it you got electric steps then, never been keen on electric steps everybody i know who has had then have had problems, my preference is always the fixed steps

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:27 am 

Normally ok if maintained well.
Jet wash out once a month then sprayed with silicone.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:39 pm 

perry wrote:
Normally ok if maintained well.
Jet wash out once a month then sprayed with silicone.

I find just a hose and silicone once a week works, especially in the winter with all the salt and grit about. I would have preferred fixed steps but it wasn’t an option, just like the flaming electric doors on the Vito!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:27 pm 

After driving E7's for 13 years when you have to get out and shut the door properly after every customer. Electric doors would seems like there from heaven. But after having a vito for 3 weeks. I got just as pi--ed off telling people DON'T pull it DON'T touch it
ITS ELECTRIC
People in my town are very bewildered with sliding doors and seem to get very confused