Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ***SCAM WARNING***
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:11 pm 

Please be aware, I am sure some of you will have heard of this before but a local driver here has just fallen for it.
They received a call from someone saying they were the owner of a local business and they needed some boxes of computer software collecting from an address near London and then a couple of passengers from a hotel about 30 miles from the parcel pick up and then taking back to the local business. money would be paid either back at the local business or by the 2 passengers. On picking up the parcels the driver was asked for £200 in cash for the parcels and the driver phoned the customer and cleared that this would be paid by the passengers.
The driver paid the money over and left.
It was at this point that the drivers wife rang me and mentioned it. I immediately told her that I thought it was a scam and what the hell were they doing not getting payment up front. Anyway to cut a long story short there were no passengers at the hotel and the phone was no longer connected. just to make matters worse the cam belt on the car snapped and wrecked the engine as well.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

Post subject: Re: ***SCAM WARNING***
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:23 pm 

grandad wrote:
Please be aware, I am sure some of you will have heard of this before but a local driver here has just fallen for it.
They received a call from someone saying they were the owner of a local business and they needed some boxes of computer software collecting from an address near London and then a couple of passengers from a hotel about 30 miles from the parcel pick up and then taking back to the local business. money would be paid either back at the local business or by the 2 passengers. On picking up the parcels the driver was asked for £200 in cash for the parcels and the driver phoned the customer and cleared that this would be paid by the passengers.
The driver paid the money over and left.
It was at this point that the drivers wife rang me and mentioned it. I immediately told her that I thought it was a scam and what the hell were they doing not getting payment up front. Anyway to cut a long story short there were no passengers at the hotel and the phone was no longer connected. just to make matters worse the cam belt on the car snapped and wrecked the engine as well.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

O/K Get it Service vehicle regularly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:09 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
That old chestnut

That scam was doing the rounds about 8 years ago because a local driver here fell for it. In his case it was to collect urgent computer parts for M & S until he got to M & S and they new nothing about it ! In his case he was out of pocket about £80 plus fuel.

Mind you he's an Arsenal supporter so deserved it :badgrin:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:13 am 

A Lewes driver fell for that scam down here about 5 years ago.

Can’t believe that drivers are still falling for it.

Other current scams are the £2.99 text messages saying your letter/parcel is being held at the depot pending payment.

And the HMRC are going to arrest you phone call.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:15 pm 

Sussex wrote:

They were desperate for money and I think common sense left the room. once they had driven the best part of 100 miles to the pick up they didn't want to just turn around empty handed and lose the fare. It was a very difficult lesson to learn and it could finish them as a business, things ere that tight. Quite simply they can't afford to replace the car. The one that broke was still under finance and I doubt that they can just return it with a knackered engine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:16 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:

They were desperate for money and I think common sense left the room. once they had driven the best part of 100 miles to the pick up they didn't want to just turn around empty handed and lose the fare. It was a very difficult lesson to learn and it could finish them as a business, things ere that tight. Quite simply they can't afford to replace the car. The one that broke was still under finance and I doubt that they can just return it with a knackered engine.

someone will be looking for a job then ! :wink:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:35 pm 

A couple of years ago one of our drivers answered a call through the Taxicall system and was asked to pick up some jewellery from a shop on Cheshire oaks (for those who don’t know it, it’s a massive out of town shopping centre on the outskirts of Chester) and take it to an address near London, he thought it sounded strange but they offered to pay over the phone by credit card, which they did. He turned up at the jewellers and was immediately arrested by plain clothed police officers! He was released once they ascertained he wasn’t part of the crime, the jewellery and cab was paid for with a stollen credit card. Obviously, the payment was voided by the card company.