Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sign the petition
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:07 pm 

Melton Council have just given another grant to vehicle owners.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:12 pm 

Wanna wrote:
BUT, you had no running costs (looking at the SEISS grants) so you were probably no worse of after not buying fuel, tyres, servicing, etc AND you were sat at home...

Lets put it this way, were your costs down by not turning a wheel?

Slight oversimplification there [-(

Can't speak for everyone, but:

SEISS only covers profits, so doesn't cover fixed costs, most obviously licensing and insurance for cab drivers. OK, there's maybe some scope for mothballing and avoiding these costs, but a year ago we all thought it would only last a few weeks. Then by summer we thought it was all over, so not good for long-term planning like mothballing.

And even if you did mothball, no certainty of an insurance refund, and presumably if you cancelled a policy and reinsured some time later it could affect NCB.

Likewise, you won't get a refund on a badge or plate, and not renewing for a period might mean additional costs if your repappliction was treated as a new grant rather than renewal. And if you're plated HC in a restricted area (like me) then you're effectively forced to renew even if your HC is effectively mothballed.

As for car running costs, it's certainly true that a significant proportion of that is mileage-dependent. But, and particularly on older cars, a lot of repairs are at least partly dependent on time, and would have to be done anyway, maybe because they're partly due to corrosion, metals weakening and rubbers perishing, and stuff like that. For example, I had to replace my seven-year old a battery a few weeks ago (£164, and my stop-start is working again :roll: ) Have also had a broken spring and other suspension problems in the last year, and also a wiring issue. All of which I suspect would have happened anyway, regardless of mileage.

Also, strictly I suspect most manufacturers specify at least a minor service every twelve months (VAG certainly does), so with MoT and car tax, you could easily be £300 down on just that without turning a wheel.

And, of course, if you've got a newish motor or a second-hand one on HP, you've got capital and interest repayments. And any payment holidays etc won't have covered the whole of lockdown.

And SEISS can be a double kick in the teeth if you've got a newish motor, because that's likely to have supressed your profits in the last couple of years, which in turn means lower SEISS payments :sad:

Then there's depreciation, which is partly dependent on age, and again affects those with newer motors worst.

Even after all those uncovered costs, at best SEISS only covers 80% of profits, or 70% for the second grant. And it didn't cover a couple of months at all. Some in the trade with a reasonable income from other sources have received nothing from SEISS, despite maybe normally getting almost half their income from the trade. And while it's maybe difficult to feel much sympathy for those in the trade declaring more than £50k per annum, if they have then they'll get nothing from SEISS either (someone running an office as a sole trader or in a partnership, maybe).

And while no doubt those who do things like eat in restaurants a lot or take a couple of foreign holidays a year will have saved on that, for those like me with a fairly basic lifestyle there's not a lot of spare flesh to cut out. (Don't want to sound like the victim, but in the year before lockdown my total electricity bills (no gas) came to not much more than £500, and think they'll be less than £500 for lockdown year despite mostly being at home 24 hours a day. Go figure :sad: ). So apart from giving up my TV licence and having a shower every other day rather than daily, and small potatoes like that, there's not really that much to cut back on, although I'm not quite claiming to be surviving on bread and water or relying on food banks. Yet :roll: )

Of course, there are people a lot worse than me. For a start, *every* *badgeholder* in Scotland got an extra £1,500, with very little in the way of hoops to jump through. Some down south have got a lot less apart from SEISS, if anything at all.

And no doubt a small number in the trade have done quite well out of it all, particularly those with guaranteed school money or other contracts etc. But for the independents in our town like me who rely on the ranks, trade's effectively been wiped out for a year now, apart from a few weeks in late summer/early autumn, and even then it was pretty poor.

But apart from that... :-o

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:19 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
the ARG is not being paid to anyone in receipt of Seiss

And even if you don't turn a wheel I have still had to pay Insurance, Licensing ,Phone bills compliance tests and maintenance on vehicles plus advertising , website fees business rates etc etc.

My business costs £15000 a year to run even if I don't turn a wheel !

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:44 pm 

edders23 wrote:

That is not true here in Melton.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:06 pm 

grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

it is in Lincolnshire !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:19 pm 

The guv have paid the money to the councils but the councils are not paying it out or some are not #-o To Taxis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:13 pm 

grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

the ARG is NOT linked to the SEISS in anyway

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:13 pm 

MR T wrote:
The guv have paid the money to the councils but the councils are not paying it out or some are not #-o To Taxis

They are...........if you pin them down

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:15 pm 

StuartW wrote:
But apart from that... :-o

so tell me

whats best

take £20,000 but spend £5000 in fuel or...

get 80% of £20,000 and spend nowt in fuel?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:17 pm 

edders23 wrote:
as for ARG no chance

Have you been in touch with InvestSK?

https://investsk.co.uk/businessgrants/

https://southkesteven-online.victoriafo ... nt%202.wdf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:21 pm 

I had to point out the ARG was - originally - not available to sole traders/self employed/home based businesses and got the council to include us in the coverage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:37 pm 

EDDERS, looks like you MAY have missed out on it but that doesnt mean it wasnt available, just that you were slow off the mark... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://investsk.co.uk/wp-content/uploa ... -FINAL.pdf

However, they were wrong to suggest it was only for businesses forced to actually close, the criteria was to prove a 30% reduction in income only

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:03 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
edders23 wrote:
as for ARG no chance

yes invest SK stated that taxis are ineligible and even put that on their website hence various campaigns the next step is to try and get them to read an impact statement on the effects of the pandemic on our trade

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:17 pm 

edders23 wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
edders23 wrote:
as for ARG no chance

yes invest SK stated that taxis are ineligible and even put that on their website hence various campaigns the next step is to try and get them to read an impact statement on the effects of the pandemic on our trade

They are wrong, its open to all businesses, ours had to amend the requirements when I pointed out the home based/sole trader/self employed were being excluded

If they have acted in error they can be forced to reconsider applications

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:20 pm 

How much you can receive
Eligible businesses will be entitled to receive a one-off grant of £7,500 per business and not per property.

To complete this form, you will need to:

Supply bank statements from 1 September 2020 to 30 November 2020, compared with 1 September 2019 to 30 November 2019, showing an impact on your income.
If you are unable to provide or unable to present the impact of the coronavirus pandemic upon their business within these requested months, the business must provide bank statements from 2020, whereby a comparison of none lockdown and lockdown months shall be undertaken to provide evidence of an income loss above 25%:
None lockdown months
January and February 2020
September 2020
Lockdown months
April and May 2020
November 2020
or last year’s annual accounts in comparison to the current year’s management accounts and profit and loss statement to show a 25% loss in trade.
Provide evidence (qualitatively) of how the local and national restrictions and the pandemic have impacted upon their income and business operation.
Outline what other government support they have received (e.g. small business grant, extended retail grant, self-employment Income support scheme, bounce back loan, local restrictions support grant etc.)
Home based businesses to highlight if they receive any benefits (such as universal credit).

Supply at least one of the following references: business rates account number, company registration number, VAT registration number, charity registration number, unique tax reference/partnership number or national insurance number.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next