Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Front luggage pen
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:33 pm 

hi all, looking into purchasing new cab, will be either procab or vito,6 seater version, have not seen a procab with front luggae pen yet, just wondering if anybody has one and if so is it adequate

Post subject: Re: Front luggage pen
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:08 pm 

Mine has a single front seat fitted.
But looking at it if the seat was to be removed the space would be just as big as the vito.
As the boot is much bigger than my old E7
So i personally have never needed extra space up front

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:58 pm 

ok thanks Perry, looks like im being swayed towards 6 seater procab, got boot space and front luggage space also if needed, vito got front luggage pen but no boot space

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:13 pm 

taxitone wrote:
ok thanks Perry, looks like im being swayed towards 6 seater procab, got boot space and front luggage space also if needed, vito got front luggage pen but no boot space

What sort of money are we looking at?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:58 pm 

Other big down side to the vito for me apart from no luggage space is that the rear windows don't open at all.
I had a colleague that had to stop working for 3 weeks in the summer as he was waiting for the aircom to be repaired. And it was unbearable for customers being completely seal off in the rear compartment. Procab windows not great but they do open giving customers some fresh air when moving. Both cabs are a sh_t design if you have someone feeling sick. BOTH cabs say they are designed for the modern day taxi drive in mind if that was the case they would have fully opening windows in rear like my E7 had
I got 411.000 miles out of my E7 original engine and gearbox. That cab will take some beating best cab i have ever had

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:32 pm 

perry wrote:
Other big down side to the vito for me apart from no luggage space is that the rear windows don't open at all.
I had a colleague that had to stop working for 3 weeks in the summer as he was waiting for the aircom to be repaired. And it was unbearable for customers being completely seal off in the rear compartment. Procab windows not great but they do open giving customers some fresh air when moving. Both cabs are a sh_t design if you have someone feeling sick. BOTH cabs say they are designed for the modern day taxi drive in mind if that was the case they would have fully opening windows in rear like my E7 had
I got 411.000 miles out of my E7 original engine and gearbox. That cab will take some beating best cab i have ever had

I’ve never seen a Vito whose rear windows don’t open. The ‘middle’ windows don’t but the rears do, they’re also a lot easier to use than the fiddly procab windows, (they’re electric in my Vito) One of our drivers bought the voyager version of the tourneo without aircon and the passengers found it unbearable in the back. He actuality took apart the ventilation pipes to the drivers feet and fitted a 1” flexible pipe to the rear compartment. If it’s a deal breaker, a window fitter can put a sliding window in for around £250-£300
If you do a lot of airport runs, yes luggage space is limited, Ive done a couple of six seaters to the airport and it hasn’t really been a problem. Three big cases in the front, two under the flip downs seats and one sat in the middle between the passengers, not perfect but doable.
I would have to agree with you regarding the E7 though, a very well thought out cab, my 09 Reg is still doing the rounds around here, it’s just approaching 400,000 miles on its original engine and gearbox.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:41 am 

Yes i remember now the very back windows do open about 2 inches probably same amount as procab middle row windows. Still not like the E7 when someone could stick there head out if you haven't had time to stop. But before covid most of my work became airports and contract so not many pi__ heads
With my procab i will probably be spending most sundays valeting cab out when pubs reopen until airport get going again