Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: drivers suspended
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:09 am 

One of the policies here is that drivers must sign up to annual updates on the DBS. It was put in the policy quite a while ago but some drivers did not do it when they last renewed their badges. Some of them were recently asked for their update code and of course they had not got one. Our council now check your DBS every 6 months. These drivers were asked to get a new DBS and were suspended from driving until they had shown the new one to the Council. Some of them have refused to do this stating that the DBS is for 3 years and they will not renew it until then.
On the public register it now states that their license in suspended.

Post subject: Re: drivers suspended
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:31 am 

I guess it’s unlucky for them but the Statutory Taxi & Private Hire Vehicle Standards July 202
States, so they still have to have a check every 6 months, so just easier and cheaper to do the update service.

All individuals applying for or renewing a taxi or private hire vehicle drivers licence licensing authorities should carry out a check of the children and adult Barred Lists in addition to being subject to an enhanced DBS check (in section x61 of the DBS application ‘Other Workforce’ should be entered in line 1 and ‘Taxi Licensing’ should be entered at line 2). All licensed drivers should also be required to evidence continuous registration with the DBS update service to enable the licensing authority to routinely check for new information every six months. Drivers that do not subscribe up to the Update Service should still be subject to a check every six months.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:53 pm 

Absolute muppets in my opinion. We also have drivers who just ignore any of the rules. One ws saying the other day, " it is my car and I will do what I like. When the Council start paying for the car then they can tell me what to do." That sort of attitude can only end one way really.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:37 pm 

grandad wrote:
Absolute muppets in my opinion. We also have drivers who just ignore any of the rules. One ws saying the other day, " it is my car and I will do what I like. When the Council start paying for the car then they can tell me what to do." That sort of attitude can only end one way really.

It never ends well, and sometimes you just have to let f***wits act like f***wits.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:03 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Luckily this came in after I had renewed BUT next renewal will require setting this up although I still fail to see the point of 6 monthly as it is unlikely things would appear that quickly after an offence

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:48 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Luckily this came in after I had renewed BUT next renewal will require setting this up although I still fail to see the point of 6 monthly as it is unlikely things would appear that quickly after an offence

Why not?

Cases happen all the time, judgements are made all the time, bad things are added to the naughty person's database all the time. :-k

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:50 pm 

edders23 wrote:

Police forces can tell Councils when someone has been prosecuted ,convicted or arrested. The DBS every 6 months will catch out those drivers who do not inform the Council of any convictions or pending proceedings.
Think this initially will lead to an increase of people loosing their license until everyone is running on this system.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:04 am 

edders23 wrote:

if your LA check tomorrow (as they can) your stuffed then

ive been on the updates ages, before we needed to, back when my LA said they couldnt allow it for renewals, guess what...

they do now

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:38 pm 

Not sure if every council in Scotland is the same, but here we have the Disclosure Scotland scheme, and I don't think it's even mentioned on the Fife driver's application form - the council will get in touch with Disclosure Scotland and it all goes on 'behind the scenes' as far as applicants are concerned.

Which is all very well, but suppose someone is convicted of something immediately after a three-year badge is granted. If the applicant doesn't inform the council it could be three years until the council becomes aware, and if the driver has otherwise kept his nose clean during that period then it would be a bit of a nonsense to punish them via suspension or revocation, depending on how serious the offence is, as a few recent cases in Glasgow demonstrate.

Or the council might OK a driver who has informed them about something, then three years later Police Scotland object to the renewal when it comes up and they search their database.

So I suppose in principle it's only sensible to have frequent DBS checks, but how frequent they should be I'll leave to those down south, but as far as Scotland is concerned it all seems a bit daft :?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:01 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
heathcote wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Police forces can tell Councils when someone has been prosecuted ,convicted or arrested. The DBS every 6 months will catch out those drivers who do not inform the Council of any convictions or pending proceedings.
Think this initially will lead to an increase of people loosing their license until everyone is running on this system.

our LO admitted to me a couple of years ago that our local police do NOT inform the council if a driver is arrested or charged with anything

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:34 pm 

Quote:
our LO admitted to me a couple of years ago that our local police do NOT inform the council if a driver is arrested or charged with anything

I suppose with 6 monthly online checks becoming the norm, that's not such an issue now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:17 am 

ours do 6 monthly checks

last was done 3years ago...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: