Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:57 pm 

Help please,I have a Vito with electric steps,they both extend all the way then close again,the only way I can get them to stay out is to turn ignition off,any one have any ideas?thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:10 pm 

Josh1234 wrote:
Help please,I have a Vito with electric steps,they both extend all the way then close again,the only way I can get them to stay out is to turn ignition off,any one have any ideas?thanks

Clearly an electric fault, can you not get someone just to fit a separate switch?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:22 pm 

I’ve only just bought the cab,I thought it may have been a common fault and an easy fix,they are already on separate individual switches.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:40 pm 

Josh1234 wrote:

That’s very strange, I have a 2019 vito and the steps slide back in again automatically when the ignition is switched off. They have sensors on them that retract the step back in if they feel any resistance, sounds like this could be the problem. Mine occasionally retract straight back in when they are dirty. I haven’t had any trouble for a while. When I now wash the vehicle I extend the steps and give underneath a good spraying with the hose, I wouldn’t use a jet wash in case it damages the connectors or motor. Once dry I give them a good spray with a silicone lubricant (do NOT use WD40 or grease, this will attract dirt etc) using the straw that usually comes with the can, to get right underneath the step (if you look underneath there is a large gap) there are rollers either side as well, just give them all a liberal spray including the sides of the steps themselves. It’s a PITA but only takes five mins a week. You can also take the bottom of the step off to clean it better as well, I’ve never bothered and never needed to.
If the steps won’t stay out to do this method, try ‘helping’ them out gently by hand once you’ve pressed the button.