Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:01 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
jimbo wrote:
edders23 wrote:
Sussex wrote:
edders23 wrote:
But not since :sad:

Not getting the 'Good News Thread' theme are you. :roll: :roll:

just reminding everyone don't get too exited this could all go pear shaped and a 4th wave follow

I have learned over the years to take good news with a pinch of salt :wink: when you get to my age maybe you will too

Is it being so cheerful that keeps you going? I guess your glass is half empty.

It is these days I used to be glass half full before I started this as a living :wink:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:13 pm 

https://www.covidlive.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:46 pm 

Deaths are currently just one sixteenth of the level seen during similar infection rates in previous Covid waves, the latest figures show.

The most recent data show that, despite a rise in case numbers, the seven-day rolling daily death rate is just 40 compared to 654 on Dec 26 when the seven-day case rate was close to the current rate of 45,000 new infectious per day.

Death rates in England and Wales are currently 5.2 per cent below the five-year average, according to figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS), with Covid now accounting for just 1.2 per cent of deaths.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:08 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:26 pm 

A lot has been said about the number of people who have covid despite having two jabs. The graph below shows that the higher percentage of people with covid, who have had two jabs, the better.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:30 pm 

I saw the graph via a tweet which also had a valid comment attached to it.

The comment basically says that a good analogy is the wearing of seat belts.

Two thirds of people dying in car crashes had their seat belt on, but no one is saying that seat belts are a waste of time for the rest of us.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:31 am 

Professor Neil Ferguson: 27/07/2021

“The Effect of vaccines is hugely reducing risk of hospitalisations and death, and I’m positive that by late Sept or Oct we’ll be looking back at most of the pandemic”.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:19 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Professor Neil Ferguson: 27/07/2021

“The Effect of vaccines is hugely reducing risk of hospitalisations and death, and I’m positive that by late Sept or Oct we’ll be looking back at most of the pandemic”.

what year?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:50 am 

Only 59 fully vaccinated people without serious health conditions died from Covid-19 out of more than 50,000 deaths in England this year, new figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show.

In the first study of deaths by vaccination status, the ONS found that around 99 per cent of Covid-19 deaths between January 2 and July 2 2021 were in people who had not had two doses.

Overall 640 (1.2 per cent) of deaths were in those who had received both vaccine doses, but the ONS said many of those could have been infections picked up before the second dose.

Just 256 deaths (0.5 per cent) were considered true “breakthrough” infections where the second dose had long enough to work, but still did not offer protection.

However, the average age of those “breakthrough” infections was 84 and the majority (76 per cent) were classed as “extremely clinically vulnerable”. Just 59 did not have serious medical conditions.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:20 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Only 59 fully vaccinated people without serious health conditions died from Covid-19

Im sure the 59 felt so much better knowing that

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:22 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Only 59 fully vaccinated people without serious health conditions died from Covid-19

Maybe they wouldn't have caught it but for coming into contact with unvaccinated selfish folk.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:02 pm 

Sussex wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Maybe they wouldn't have caught it but for coming into contact with unvaccinated selfish folk.

like 9000 dover dinghy riders per month?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:41 pm 

Loads of people getting it here

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:52 pm 

MR T wrote:
Loads of people getting it here

87% of the population are vaccinated

but...thats 87% of the known population, and we are allowing flights in again now

call it 60%

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:21 pm 

Covid will eventually become like the common cold, says Professor Dame Sarah Gilbert

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/covi ... 56846.html

Covid-19 will eventually become like the other coronaviruses which circulate widely and cause the common cold, a world-leading scientist has said.

Professor Dame Sarah Gilbert, whose work led to the development of the Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid-19 jab, told a Royal Society of Medicine webinar the virus will weaken over time and “eventually” become like the others.

“We already live with four different human coronaviruses that we don’t really ever think about very much and eventually Sars-CoV-2 will become one of those,” she said.

“It’s just a question of how long it’s going to take to get there and what measures we’re going to have to take to manage it in the meantime.”

Dame Sarah also revealed she is struggling to get funding to help prevent future pandemics.

She told the audience on Wednesday that she is “waiting” for funding to look into vaccines for other infectious diseases.

Work must be done to prepare for future pandemics, she warned, adding that small amounts of investment now could potentially save billions of pounds in the long run.

She agreed that the lack of investment from governments and other research funding sources shows they have not learned lessons about the importance of pandemic preparedness.

“We're still trying to raise funds to develop other vaccines that we were working on before the pandemic against diseases that have caused outbreaks in the past and will cause outbreaks in the future - Nipah virus, lassa fever virus and Mers coronavirus were three that I'm working on and still trying to raise funds to work on.”

Dame Sarah said there is still support for her Covid work, adding: "But when we try to return to projects that we were working on earlier and move them forward, we thought we'd be able to go faster but actually we're still waiting to rise the funds to get those projects moving again.”

The professor of vaccinology at Oxford's Jenner Institute and Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine added: "We do need to start planning for a future pandemic.

“I don’t want to depress people by making them think that this is all going to happen again - it's really something that only a few people should have to think about.

“Those of us who work on pandemic preparedness really want to be able to put all plans in place so that we can respond better next time, so that we have a faster response, and maybe have the opportunity to stop a new virus spreading at the stage where it is an outbreak, rather than a pandemic.

“We need to be able to respond to outbreaks as soon as they're identified - vaccinate the local population, contain that outbreak and stop it going any further.

“Because with all of these outbreaks, they will spread if we can't respond to them and that's why we need to have the vaccines for these other viruses that we already know about so that we're able to bring those outbreaks to an end really quickly and then they don't spread to multiple countries and they don't become a pandemic.

“There's less cost in containing everything if we do it really early.”

Asked if this suggests that funders and governments have not learned lessons about the importance of pandemic preparedness, Dame Sarah said: “Yes, I think it does, and we should really be working now to do everything we can to prepare for a potential future pandemic, while we have all the knowledge.

“I think it's really important that we do it now - by spending a small amount of investment now potentially means that we don't have to have the massive costs of a pandemic at a later stage.”

Getting a vaccine through a phase two trial and making a stockpile for emergency use would cost “under £100 million, compared to the billions of billions that have been spent on trying to respond to the pandemic - so being prepared is going to save us money”, she added.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next