Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zettle v SumUp
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:20 pm 

Anyone having persistent problems getting the Zettle Card Reader 2 to connect to the app?

Mine's just a proper pain, and is often very slow, taking up to a minute or two to connect from the app to the card reader, or sometimes it just won't connect at all.

Recently I've used it after a 12 hour gap and it's fired up instantly, but after a gap of just 20 minutes it won't do a thing.

I see the SumUp readers are £19 just now (usually £29), and the commission rate seems about the same, so thinking of changing. Anyone been able to compare the two?

(I've used two different phones recently using the older and newer versions of the app, but doesn't seem to make any difference.)

Post subject: Re: Zettle v SumUp
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:01 pm 

With iZettle I think you need to just delete the app and reboot it every now and again.

Takes a few minutes with face ID, but other than that I've not really had any issues.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:18 am 

Sussex wrote:
With iZettle I think you need to just delete the app and reboot it every now and again.

Takes a few minutes with face ID, but other than that I've not really had any issues.

We use Sumup and we also have to do regular updates to keep connection quick.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:08 am 

I use izettle, I have not had any problems yet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:10 am 

Zettle.

Prompt payment and I really find their Payment Link over mobile phone a real easy option for taking customer deposits.

It's just such an easy and pain free system.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:48 pm 

Sussex wrote:

Do you mean reboot the card reader? How do you do that? If you mean holding the power button down on the card reader for a few seconds then I've done that often enough :evil:

And what do you mean by face ID, precisely?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:49 pm 

Anyway, thanks for all the responses. Looks like most people aren't having any issues at all.

I'm happy enough with it when it connects quickly, and even if it takes a minute or more to connect, after it does fire up the whole thing and the payments into my bank account etc is fine.

Then another problem last night soon after I made the post - although the charge normally lasts a couple of weeks (although I normally charge it a couple of times a week as a precaution), the battery went dead last night after just a couple of days from a full charge :evil:

Hoping that's just because I've being doing regular dummy runs to keep the reader active rather than letting it go to sleep, in the hope that will avert any connection problems, so hopefully that's why the battery went dead :-|

And on a typically pedantic note, I think they dropped the 'i', so it's now just Zettle [-(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:33 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Do you mean reboot the card reader? How do you do that? If you mean holding the power button down on the card reader for a few seconds then I've done that often enough :evil:

The way I read it was to delete the app from your phone and reinstall it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:38 pm 

It might not be relevant but I’m using the i Zettle 2 card reader.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:19 pm 

Another Zettle 2 user here, no problems at all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:41 pm 

Zettle 2 here as well and ive only had to charge it once in 4 months and even then i'm not sure it really needed it, it just lies switched off in an old camera case until i switch it back on.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:02 pm 

Quote:

Delete the app from your phone and re-install it.

Face ID to get your phone to open, rather than numbers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:22 am 

Thanks for all the replies. Just to confirm it's Card Reader 2 I'm using, as I said in the first line of the thread :wink:

Anyway, it's always been a bit tempremental connection-wise, but got worse when I got a new phone and installed the new app. I'd been using the old version of the app on my old phone.

So I've been swapping my sim between my old phone and new one, and to complicate things there was a fault with the new phone, so had to return that yesterday ](*,)

So I've reinstalled the new Zettle app several times over the last couple of weeks, and reinstalled it a couple of hours ago on the replacement new phone.

App installs easy-peasy, and pairs with the card reader OK. So that went fine, and it was connecting OK to make a transaction.

But after leaving it for just 15 minutes, I retried it, and it just wouldn't connect. App often says to press the power button on the card reader, when the reader is obviously active, and pressing the power button doesn't seem to help anyway.

Then tried unparing them, then pairing them again, and that was fine. And it did work about half an hour later, so it just seems to randomly not want to connect. (And the app says the card reader software is up to date.)

Not perfect on my old phone, but seems to work slightly better on my old phone with the older version of the app.

Anyway, looks like I'll have to try Zettle support, but the card reader is a couple of years old now, and certainly don't want to buy a new one if it's faulty.

So might have to give SumUp a try...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:43 am 

Ask them to send you another unit for free, Cant see why they wouldn't when it's them that takes a cut of your fare...It's just such a faff providing proof of who you are when you change suppliers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:11 pm 

Quote:
Anyway, looks like I'll have to try Zettle support,

I've contacted them in the past and they have been quite helpful.