Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:56 pm 

grandad wrote:
What is to stop a person from registering for tax purposes and only declaring a very small income just as many of them do now?

Well nothing, but the question one must ask is why haven't they already?

Clearly it's to not pay any tax, so even a little bit is more than nothing.

However once an audit trail is established the taxman can follow it, and that will include those that work undercover for an owner who doesn't declare any income from that person. So the taxman gets double money.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:01 pm 

heathcote wrote:
There is a simple solution to this, every licensing authority must inform HMRC of the details of any person it grants a license to, which would stop the need to have to apply for this unique code number when the majority of the trade are already tax compliant.

HMRC want to put the onus on licensees, and this way is a no brainer for them.
heathcote wrote:
If this had been adopted every license holder would be known to the HMRC from day one.

I agree, but within three years we will be there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:13 pm 

It will not stop those who flit in and out of this trade as they will hand the licence back and at a later date apply for a new one, which means they will never fall into the renewal syndrome.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:26 pm 

heathcote wrote:
It will not stop those who flit in and out of this trade as they will hand the licence back and at a later date apply for a new one, which means they will never fall into the renewal syndrome.

should be checked every time, however DBS should be checked every 6 months but 3 years here seems the norm

and just because someone HAS a badge doesnt mean they are working

and under £6000/year employers need not register them for PAYE

Quote:
Check you need to pay someone through PAYE. You usually have to pay your employees through PAYE if they earn £120 or more a week (£520 a month or £6,240 a year). You do not need to pay self-employed workers through PAYE

https://www.gov.uk/new-employee/check-s ... %20PAYE%20.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:43 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
heathcote wrote:

should be checked every time, however DBS should be checked every 6 months but 3 years here seems the norm

Quote:
Check you need to pay someone through PAYE. You usually have to pay your employees through PAYE if they earn £120 or more a week (£520 a month or £6,240 a year). You do not need to pay self-employed workers through PAYE

I think you still have to record their earnings and also report their earnings to HMRC.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:55 pm 

Quote:

Think it's now best practice to DBS every 6 months.

Most councils have now adopted that timescale.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:58 pm 

Quote:

Nothing stopping anyone returning a nil tax return, suspect many tens of thousands will be doing it this year.

The new tax checks will merely check that you have kept your tax returns up to date, nothing to do with the amounts you earn/declare.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:35 pm 

grandad wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
heathcote wrote:

Quote:

I think you still have to record their earnings and also report their earnings to HMRC.

if you didnt youd be liable for tax on it....lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:24 pm 

According to this article Councils are very concerned that many people don't know about the new changes.

https://www.localgov.co.uk/Councils-con ... ecks/53508

Personally I doubt they are concerned, but I do agree with the number of drivers who are aware of the changes to be minimal at most.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:22 pm 

HMRC has issued at least four new notices on 10 January. Two are aimed at licensing authorities, while two are aimed at the trade (and scrap metal dealers - some might say there's not a lot of difference between the two, at the extremes at least :lol: ).

But don't think there's anything particularly new in them, so here's just the links in the two posts below, and titles and subtitles to each notice.

But I hadn't really been thinking too much about the start dates, and thus hadn't really been aware that all this start in less than three months :-o

(But only in England - rest of UK not coming into line for a year or two, which was maybe why I wasn't paying enough attention 8-[ )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:24 pm 

These are aimed at licensing authorities. The first is about ensuring new applicants are aware of their tax responsibilities, while the second is about the compliance checks for renewals:

Confirm an applicant's tax responsibilities for taxi, private hire or scrap metal licence applications

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/confirm-an- ... plications

Licensing authorities must get an applicant's confirmation that they're aware of their tax responsibilities on first-time licence applications for taxi, private hire and scrap metal licences.

Confirm a tax check for taxi, private hire or scrap metal licence applications

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/confirm-a-t ... plications

Licensing authorities must confirm a tax check has been completed by applicants renewing taxi, private hire and scrap metal licences, or applying for a licence already held with another authority.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:25 pm 

These are aimed at the trade. The first is about new applicants being aware of their responsibility to pay tax, while the second is about renewal applicants providing the tax compliance information:

Confirm your tax responsibilities when applying for a taxi, private hire or scrap metal licence

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/confirm-you ... al-licence

You must confirm you are aware of your tax responsibilities when you apply for a taxi driver, private hire driver, private hire vehicle operator or scrap metal dealer licence for the first time.

Complete a tax check for a taxi, private hire or scrap metal licence

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/complete-a- ... al-licence

You must complete a tax check to renew a taxi, private hire or scrap metal licence, or to apply for the same type of licence with a different licensing authority.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:26 pm 

HMRC wrote:
You will be able to complete a tax check from 7 March 2022.

:-o

It looks a bit like these DVLA checks you do for renewing badges and your insurance.

So you can do it at any time, whether or not you're renewing a badge, but if it's not close enough to when you actually renew then you'll have to do a new one. The 'tax check codes' expire after 120 days.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:38 pm 

Sussex wrote:
https://www.localgov.co.uk/Councils-concerned-taxis-not-aware-of-upcoming-tax-checks/53508

Forgot to read that, but even the first couple of paragraphs look a bid dodgy:

LocalGov wrote:
Due to come into force in April 2022, conditionality will require all self-employed taxi and PHV drivers to pass a ‘tax check’ to renew their operational licence.

But not just self-employed drivers. Those under PAYE will have to complete the tax check as well [-(

LocalGov wrote:
A new study from untied, a personal tax app, has found that over eight in 10 local authorities believe that operators as well as drivers should be preparing in advance of the forthcoming changes.

No $hit, Sherlock :-o

But, maybe more worrying, what did the other 20% of local authorities think :-s

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:24 pm 

To carry out a tax check, you need a Government Gateway user ID and password. If you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you start the check.

You’ll also need to know:

when you first got your licence
the length of your most recent licence
how you pay tax on the income you earn from your licensed trade
You will not be able to complete the tax check if the information you give about your tax affairs does not match HMRC’s records.
Well that will be me f***ed, I haven't a clue when I got my first license. It was about 20 years ago.
So what happens to all those who have had a badge for years and never declared any income?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next