TDO wrote:
jimbo wrote:
But no answer as to why only LTI vehicles were targeted? No answer why a TX11 is polluting but a Transit is not, when they are sharing an identical engine? Cabs in London are surely the best maintained vehicles on the road, subject to constant checks, including emmissions.
I thought London taxis were only tested once a year? Therefore effectively less often than the average vehicle. Thus hardly 'constant checks'?
They would be hard pressed to test 41,000 cabs in 254 days, that's assuming they don't work weekends and bank Holidays. It works out at 161.4 each day. It could happen if they farmed out the testing to other testing stations but even then, it would probably be a full time job just testing cabs.
I'm afraid once yearly tests for London Cabs in this day and age might be seen as inappropriate by some? However the PCO set the standards so I assume they know what they are doing? As for policing black cabs on the street I haven't a clue if this is done on a daily basis or periodically? If they follow the model of the rest of the country it is done periodically but may be London operates differently?
Considering London cabs contribute 24% to the pollution of the Capitol I'm surprised Mr Livingstone hasn't been more demanding of both LTI and Metrocab, to clean up their act?
The PCO won't allow cleaner greener vehicles to ply for hire on the streets of London unless they comply with the 25ft turning circle so the citizens of London are stuck with the status quo.
Regards
JD