Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:55 pm 

B&H Council has sent out an email informing drivers of the new rules coming in on 1st April.

I still think less than a quarter of the trade will know about it when it comes in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:03 pm 

Quote:
when you first got your licence

I would hope that's more a case of a drop-down menu that you can just click on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:25 am 

I thought this was only aimed at those seeking a Taxi or PH license for the first time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:38 am 

Meantime as they lump Taxi and PH drivers in the same business grouping as 3rd Generation Travellers Scrapyards as if we were all Tax avoiding fellons many cash in hand Tradesmen in the building sector fly well below the taxmans radar and live the life of Riley that they never used to could afford.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:22 pm 

bloodnock wrote:

I thought this was only aimed at those seeking a Taxi or PH license for the first time.

If you had read previous posts on this subject you would have noted that it only applies to renewals of licence. L/As only have to inform new applicants of their tax responsibilities and cannot refuse to grant a licence whereas they will refuse if a renewal applicant does not provide the HMRC check information.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:05 pm 

heathcote wrote:
bloodnock wrote:

If you had read previous posts on this subject you would have noted that it only applies to renewals of licence. L/As only have to inform new applicants of their tax responsibilities and cannot refuse to grant a licence whereas they will refuse if a renewal applicant does not provide the HMRC check information.

Thats bit Arse for Tit....rather pleased it's not yet happeing in Scotland.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:54 pm 

Will this apply to a person who holds a Hackney vehicle license but does not drive one

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:57 am 

MR T wrote:
Will this apply to a person who holds a Hackney vehicle license but does not drive one

No

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:38 am 

heathcote wrote:
MR T wrote:

No

Maybe in time it will.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:29 pm 

grandad wrote:
So what happens to all those who have had a badge for years and never declared any income?

Suspect the vast majority of such cases won't reapply, or will abandon their application when they realise the new tax check information they have to provide.

But will be interesting to know what will happen if they do go ahead - not sure if local authorities have any obligation to inform HMRC if there's something amiss. But they won't be able to issue a badge anyway if the applicant doesn't provide the tax check reference number.

But surely if someone hasn't been declaring income for years, when they realise that they won't get a tax check reference number, then they won't proceed with their licence application? #-o

But I suspect it'll be an easy enough process for long-term badge holders who've been declaring their income 8-[

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:51 pm 

I know of at least one that has never declared anything, who is now registering as self-employed.

Not sure how the tax folks will deal with drivers like this, but I suspect they will just be glad to get them on the books and allow things to progress as if they were new to the trade.

But the ones who are going to suffer IMO are the ones that are claiming. [-X

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:35 am 

Sussex wrote:
I know of at least one that has never declared anything, who is now registering as self-employed.

Not sure how the tax folks will deal with drivers like this, but I suspect they will just be glad to get them on the books and allow things to progress as if they were new to the trade.

But the ones who are going to suffer IMO are the ones that are claiming. [-X

Think that person will be in trouble when he informs the HMRC the date they obtained their 1st licence.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:18 am 

heathcote wrote:
Think that person will be in trouble when he informs the HMRC the date they obtained their 1st licence.

Might depend what they tell HMRC, and to what degree HMRC cross-check any information disclosed with local authorities.

I mean, say someone got a badge in 2010, but never declared anything, but renewed in 2016, and started declaring income then. When HMRC asks when they were first badged, they could say 2016, and unless HMRC cross-checked this with the council, they'd never know they actually got a badge in 2010.

But anyone renewing a three-year badge this May, say, but just registering with HMRC a few weeks beforehand, then that would flag up that they've not been declaring their earnings. Which might in turn alert HMRC and open up a whole can of worms about their history.

So a lot will depend on to what extent HMRC liase with LAs if anything is flagged up, and to what extent a dodgy applicant is willing to take that risk.

So suspect a lot of them won't reapply, because they don't want to declare earnings. Some might want to reapply and start declaring, but they might not want to risk opening up a can of worms.

Of course, it will depend how long they've not been declaring for. The longer they've not been declaring, the bigger the can of worms that could be exposed, therefore not worth the risk of reapplying.

And there's also wider risks that could be thrown up for dodgy drivers, such as other income that hasn't been declared, or fraudulent benefit claims, for example.

So it will depend on the individual, and the extent to which they think they'll be found out, and the wider risks attached to that.

And that's just for a straightforward case of someone actually working in the trade. A lot of people have badges that are genuinely never used, and that's one avenue a non-declaring driver could try if they're questioned.

But even for badgeholders who genuinely don't use them, the tax check process will deter a lot of them from renewing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:33 pm 

HMRC will spare no one

when someone magically appears in the system they WILL go back as far as they wish,forget all the bla bla about only going back X number of years,they can go back as far as they want
they cross check with everyone from your bank to the passport office and everyone in between,including all LA,s
when they hit GTL they were merciless
guys hit with 35k bills were not uncommon
anything else is just wishful thinking
they will take no prisoners

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:18 pm 

Just because you have a badge to drive does not mean you have been using it, I know a few Hackney drivers That have licenses and have never worked and then you come to the fiasco that was going on in London where people were getting licensed as private hire drivers and their vehicles licensed so they didn't have to pay the road charges. HMRC too Busy at the moment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next