Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:59 pm 

Cyclist rushed to hospital after colliding with Uber driver in Brighton

A CYCLIST was rushed to hospital after colliding with an Uber driver during rush hour.

Police received a report of a vehicle having crashed with a cyclist in Spring Gardens, Brighton, at 8.35am on Monday morning.

Pictures taken from the scene show the aftermath of the incident with a damaged Jaguar at the crash site.

The injured cyclist and his bike were seen on the floor, with several onlookers coming to his aid.

Sussex Police said they “engaged with the driver” while the cyclist was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital.

A spokesman from Sussex Police said: “Police received a report of a vehicle having collided with a cyclist in Spring Gardens, Brighton, at 8.35am on Monday morning.

“The cyclist was taken to hospital by the ambulance service and police officers have engaged with the driver of the vehicle.”

A South East Coast Ambulance spokesman added: “One ambulance crew attended the scene and that a male cyclist was assessed and treated before being taken to Royal Sussex County Hospital.”

An Uber spokesman said: “The safety of riders and drivers is a top priority for us. We investigate the details of any reports of accidents we receive and we are looking into this incident.”

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:41 am 

I don't know who was at fault but I do know who'll end up getting all the blame. :(

Why is it Always "Car collided with cyclist" and never "Cyclist collided with car" ??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:50 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
because in law it doesn't matter who is to blame the car carries insurance the cyclist doesn't cars insurance has to pay

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:37 pm 

I have always had third party insurance for cycles through household insurance. Had one claim about forty years ago. Rode into a parked car, wrote off bike, some damage to the car. My fault obviously. All cycles should carry insurance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:49 pm 

edders23 wrote:
because in law it doesn't matter who is to blame the car carries insurance the cyclist doesn't cars insurance has to pay

Just because the Driver is the insured should not mean the driver should automatically become the guilty party.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:31 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
I don't know who was at fault but I do know who'll end up getting all the blame. :(

Why is it Always "Car collided with cyclist" and never "Cyclist collided with car" ??

Pretty certain it's down to the driver.

The road the driver came up is one way, however the numpties at B&H council have put in place a one way cycle lane going down the other way.

A good friend of mine who is one of the country's leading transport safety experts says such a cycle lane is unique to B&H, and then says a lot of fruity words.

So what has happened is the driver turned right into the side street and didn't notice/expect the cyclist to be whizzing down the road.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:01 pm 

A cyclists exemption to go the wrong way on a one way street was always going to end in tears....is B&H council run by nut jobs ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:04 pm 

We have several streets in St Andrews with one-way cycle lanes against the one-way traffic. However, there's no right/left turns on the streets, and the potential problem more about cars parking and pulling out.

This is incidentally where the temporary taxi rank was situated during lockdown :roll:

Top of the rank was halfway up the street on the left, but it was back to front and the taxis were reversing into the dog leg near the junction rather than going to the front of the rank ](*,)

https://www.google.com/maps/@56.3403279 ... 8192?hl=en

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:04 pm 

This is another one, with a naughty taxi driver on the left parking in the cycle area because they can't get on the rank at the other side of the junction.

https://www.google.com/maps/@56.3392336 ... 384!8i8192

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:11 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
A cyclists exemption to go the wrong way on a one way street was always going to end in tears....is B&H council run by nut jobs ?

One hundred per cent.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:59 pm 

StuartW wrote:
This is another one, with a naughty taxi driver on the left parking in the cycle area because they can't get on the rank at the other side of the junction.

https://www.google.com/maps/@56.3392336 ... 384!8i8192

both of those links put me onto the same street view and I couldn't see the taxi in either shot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:01 pm 

edders23 wrote:
both of those links put me onto the same street view and I couldn't see the taxi in either shot

Well you couldn't have looked tonight, because I corrected the duplicate link late last night [-(

But you're correct in that I did initially have the same link twice :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:08 pm 

This is another one, right beside the R&A Clubhouse, Old Course 1st tee, 18th green, blah, blah:

https://www.google.com/maps/@56.3432756 ... 384!8i8192

A bit further up, and not a lot of room for cyclists coming the 'wrong way' particularly if it's a large vehicle going up. But not unknown for cyclists to play chicken with motorists in some of the one-way streets here. Guess who always wins? :-o

https://www.google.com/maps/@56.3430842 ... 384!8i8192

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:41 am 

StuartW wrote:
This is another one, right beside the R&A Clubhouse, Old Course 1st tee, 18th green, blah, blah:

https://www.google.com/maps/@56.3432756 ... 384!8i8192

A bit further up, and not a lot of room for cyclists coming the 'wrong way' particularly if it's a large vehicle going up. But not unknown for cyclists to play chicken with motorists in some of the one-way streets here. Guess who always wins? :-o

https://www.google.com/maps/@56.3430842 ... 384!8i8192

ah so that's what the gentlemen Only ladies forbidden play area looks like didn't think it would be open like that plenty of scope for wayward balls to smash peoples windows

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:07 pm 

Not sure if you're looking at the same thing as me, but the golf stuff is in the opposite direction from where the Streetview camera is pointing in the link.

That view also shows the 'women' and 'girls'-only St Regulus Ladies Golf Club. No men allowed. Nor plebs like me.

https://www.st-regulus-lgc.co.uk/