Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:05 pm 

A few more of these, in fact they're getting to the stage that I've lost track of them, so not sure if they've been posted already without looking back...

But also getting to the stage where it's barely worth posting them at all...

And they're mostly the usual boilerplate, except for a couple of oddities, as per next two posts.

Uber to allow passengers to book trips with local taxi firm in parts of West Yorkshire

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... re-3660828

Uber has announced it is to allow passengers the option to book trips with Local Cab in Pontefract.

Uber launches 'local cab' service in boost for Bedminster taxi firm

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris ... ce-6984663

Uber is also offering a 25 per cent off promotion in Bristol right now

Uber joins forces with ABC Taxis in Benfleet

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/200782 ... -benfleet/

A POPULAR taxi firm has launched a partnership with Uber, giving travellers the chance to book with them through the app.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:06 pm 

Bristol Post wrote:
At the time of writing, a trip from Ashton Gate to the Memorial Stadium would cost £12.11 via Uber directly or £14.90 via the local cab option in the app. Uber is also offering a 25 per cent off promotion in Bristol right now, meaning that trip would cost just £9.08 via Uber direct; this promotion doesn't apply to local cab options, however, making them comparatively even more expensive.

So much for transparent and consistent pricing :-s

Bristol Post wrote:
Uber has not had the smoothest of rides in Bristol in recent months, with drivers and passengers moving across to newer competitors, which are sometimes cheaper, such as Bolt and Ola. Its drivers also protested outside the company's Bristol office just last month over "low fares, safety, and unfair dismissals".

Uber, Bolt and Ola, as well as the longer-established locals. Sounds messy.

Bristol Post wrote:
Other local taxi firms also continue to operate, while Yellow Cabs are still available for private hire outside of its Uber partnership.

Would that be cheaper than the price for Yellow Cabs via the Uber app, or dearer, or the same price. Or cheaper or dearer than Uber itself. But I suppose it depends on whether Uber offering 25% off for direct bookings ](*,)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:08 pm 

The Essex one is different because it includes a quote from the Castle Point Council leader. The councils, towns and cities ain't half confusing down that way #-o

But I'm sure his comments likely to go down like a bag of sick with the rest of the local trade :roll:

And he makes it sound like local firms can't have their own app...one of those who think Uber and other app-only operators have reinvented the wheel...

Basildon, Canvey and Southend Echo wrote:
Andrew Sheldon, leader of Castle Point Council, said it is something welcomed to the borough and he hopes it becomes a success.

He said: “If it is going to benefit taxi users and drivers it is welcomed.

“As long as all drivers remain licensed and properly regulated.

“I think people like the convenience of apps like Uber, but also like to use tried and trusted local taxi services too.

“So, I hope the partnership is successful and delivers for customers and drivers.”

This chap in the comments is obviously happy :lol: :oops:

Quote:
I wouldn't want a Uber arriving instead of ABC cabs, I guess the owner is thinking if you cant beat them, join them, well not for me thanks I do not want to get in a uninsured stinking rust bucket of an Uber being driven by someone that has zero personal hygiene, does not know where the hell anything is and cant speak the English. No, no thank you, and no no no. How on earth is this a good idea.

I'm guessing he's not just some disinterested reader of the Basildon, Canvey and Southend Echo :-s

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:06 pm 

Noticed that Uber is ramping up its 'local' service.

I wonder if it will actually make them money. :-k

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:28 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Sussex wrote:
Noticed that Uber is ramping up its 'local' service.

I wonder if it will actually make them money. :-k

I'm sure they wouldn't do it if they thought it would not. The Autocab deal was always going to lead to this and I doubt they went into the deal without doing their sums.

I have been UNreliably told that both bolt and uber are eyeing up expanding into Stamford, Spalding, the Deepings, Bourne, Yaxley, Wisbech, Kings lynn , Huntingdon and Grantham using Peterborough as the main base

I am guessing this is now the plan establish a main base and expand outwards

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:58 pm 

Uber will get a cut from each job, and there's not much in the way of identifiable ongoing costs that I can think of, so it's win-win for them.

As I said at the time of the Autocab deal and the Local Cab plan, it's an easier, low-cost, low-risk way into local markets than setting up from scratch.

Trojan horse, and local operators cutting their own throats.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:39 am 

StuartW wrote:
Uber will get a cut from each job, and there's not much in the way of identifiable ongoing costs that I can think of, so it's win-win for them.

As I said at the time of the Autocab deal and the Local Cab plan, it's an easier, low-cost, low-risk way into local markets than setting up from scratch.

Trojan horse, and local operators cutting their own throats.

not so sure about that it looks like uber are bullet proof and will dominate the world taxi market so I think it's more a case of ensuring survival because I honestly believe in 5 years time that Uber will have 20 percent + of the UK market so working with them and not in competition might be a good survival strategy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:02 pm 

Uber's 'partnering' with local ops is just their usual PR spiel - what they intend, effectively, is more like a takeover rather than a merger.

Of course, that's not to say it'll work out that way, but if Uber could effectively put local ops out of business, then I'm sure they would.

And, whichever way you look at it, even as things stand Uber gets a cut of every booking that goes through its app. And that's a cut that would previously have gone to local operators.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:06 pm 

Can't remember precisely what happened in Southend with Uber, but it was all very messy.

But I'm guessing this piece is in essence nonsense - if Uber wanted to operate in Southend using cars plated elsewhere, I'm quite sure they could. They can't be 'banned' from Southend.

By the same token, I'm quite sure if they could find an operator willing to 'partner' with them, then that would happen as well :?

Uber taxis in Southend? Residents call for service to return

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/200869 ... ce-return/

CALLS are mounting for Uber to return to Southend and join forces with local taxi firms to offer easier transport links to residents.

The global taxi giant launched its “local cab” scheme in Benfleet and Canvey last week, which allows passengers to book a trip with “local taxi companies” via the Uber app.

Now, residents are calling for a similar service in Southend.

Four years ago Southend Council, then run by the Conservatives, banned Uber from operating in the area.

“When we used to have Uber in this area it improved the situation immeasurably,” Barry Jones, 51, of Leigh, said.

“It’s quick, efficient, reasonably priced, and safe. Unfortunately, whenever the subject is raised the organised traditional taxi collective rallies round to spread scare stories to save their own hides.”

“Not having the service is hurting the night-time economy, as people won’t go on nights out there as it’s hard to get a cab back.

He added: “Denying Uber to the area is surely a restrictive practice? Closed shops aren’t very modern Britain.”

Harriet O’Brien, 58, of Leigh added: “I think it would be great to have Uber here. Our taxi services are overstretched at the moment and often you have to wait a long time to get one.”

Both residents say they would like to see Uber’s “local cab” scheme which has now been launched in more than 40 locations across the UK replicate in Southend.

The scheme means anyone using the Uber app in Benfleet and Canvey will now be presented with the “local cab” option, which will connect them to Benfleet-based ABC Taxis.

Southend council leader Ian Gilbert said there were no concrete plans to bring the firm back in but added he would be willing to give a fair hearing to any future proposals.

“Things have moved in in terms of the way Uber operates since they were banned from Southend in 2018,” Mr Gilbert said, referring to improvements to driver vetting and safety the firm has made in recent years.

“If Uber were to apply for a licence to operate here we would give them due consideration, same as any other firm.”

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:41 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Uber's 'partnering' with local ops is just their usual PR spiel - what they intend, effectively, is more like a takeover rather than a merger.

Of course, that's not to say it'll work out that way, but if Uber could effectively put local ops out of business, then I'm sure they would.

And, whichever way you look at it, even as things stand Uber gets a cut of every booking that goes through its app. And that's a cut that would previously have gone to local operators.

But the operator gets a very strong partner backing them in exchange for giving them "a piece of the action" now maybe for those operators they would rather do that than see their rivals partner up with uber ? Protection !

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:50 pm 

Quote:

But they currently get a 25% cut from work issued to Uber vehicles, and yet they still lose billions.

I get your point as they really don't have much to do rather than promote their app, but really Uber should be making billions anyway as the software is much the same as it's always been.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:57 pm 

Quote:
“If Uber were to apply for a licence to operate here we would give them due consideration, same as any other firm.”

Not sure Uber can be arsed to get any new UK operator licenses.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:49 pm 

Edders wrote:
But the operator gets a very strong partner backing them in exchange for giving them "a piece of the action" now maybe for those operators they would rather do that than see their rivals partner up with uber ? Protection !

To a degree, yes, but still wonder if it's a Trojan horse in that, say, people could start booking via Uber rather than directly with the local operator, so to that degree it's a lost job in that it comes back to the local operator, but at a price.

At the time I wondered if, once Uber have a toehold via the local cab scheme, they could start using their own cars directly, so that would be an even bigger Trojan horse. Don't know if that's happened yet, or if it ever will, but it's maybe worth noting that the local cab option now available in places where Uber already have their own cars working, therefore...

And, even assuming it's good for the local operator Uber is 'partnering' with, it's work lost for the other local firms, assuming some of the new Uber app work is jobs that would previously have gone to them.

Of course, it's all largely uncharted territory and, unlike the more straightforward historical case of Uber simply taking work from local offices like any new player in local markets, it's slightly more complex now, and difficult to disentangle who benefits and who's losing out.

But, at the end of the day, every job that now goes through the Uber app is money out of the pockets of the longer-established local firms.

(Another aspect of the Trojan horse is perhaps drawing attention to the fact that there's not a whole lot of difference in terms of the employment status thing (and the Supreme Court judgement) between Uber cars and cars booked via the Uber app and a Local Cab office, but of course all that seems to have been forgotten about in the meantime.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:52 pm 

Quote:
I get your point as they really don't have much to do rather than promote their app, but really Uber should be making billions anyway as the software is much the same as it's always been.

It's years since I've paid much attention to Uber as a global brand financed by Wall Street, so don't know all the ins and outs as regards why precisely they're still losing shedloads of money. But I'd imagine that, once start up costs and the like are out of the way, costs are pretty low because of automation and their booking and payment systems are not labour-intensive, and to that extent some markets must be quite profitable for them.

It may be that, eventually, they'll undertake a large scale rationalisation, and dump the loss-making markets, and keep the more profitable ones, as a loss-making chain of shops would do, say. (And, of course, to an extent they've done that already, withdrawing from more difficult markets, be it the likes of Southend-on-Sea, or whole countries where the regulatory environment is unfavourable to their business model.)

Alternatively, the whole thing could eventually collapse in a heap, but any liquidator (or whatever), will sell the profitable parts on. So to that degree, even if it all come tumbling down, the whole thing ain't going to just disappear with regard to competition for the likes of you and me in local markets :?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:23 pm 

Quote:
regards why precisely they're still losing shedloads of money.

Most of it at the mo is on food delivery.

Uber isn't the biggest player, and they weren't the first in the market.

So to get the market share they are losing billions in discounts, and the other main players are losing more billions to stop Uber from getting to number one.