Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 4:29 pm 

Taxi driver lured into dead end street and beaten with knuckle duster in vile racist attack

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... d-23903615

Victim managed to get CCTV of suspect but no action for a week by police

Image: Manchester Evening News

A taxi driver was the victim of a vicious racist attack after being lured into a dead end street. But six days after the assault he was still waiting for GMP to interview him.

Mohammed Zubair, suffered a fractured cheekbone and believes he was assaulted just because he was wearing "Asian clothing" on the second day of Eid. He has slammed police for their slow response after he managed to secure a CCTV image of the suspect, and told police he had it.

Mr Zubair required hospital treatment as he suffered a break due to the thug wearing a knuckle duster when he hit him. He reported the attack immediately to police.

"I had a job to pick up a couple in Monsall at 4.30pm. It was a young girl and a guy who wanted to be taken to a convenience store on Rochdale Road in Harpurhey. On the way back they asked to take a right instead of going back to exactly where I picked them up which was a dead end street," said Mr Zubair, 35, who works for Cresta Cars.

He added: "Before my car had stopped the man punched me from behind. There had been no dispute about the fare or anything else. He started using the P word and I got out of the car straight away. He started making comments about my clothes. For the first time ever I was wearing Asian baggy clothing as it was the second day of Eid and I was planning to be with family later.

"He had a knuckle duster on and was more aggressive when we got out of the car, and was going to attack me further, so I backed off. He said 'I am going to knock you out'. The girl tried to grab him and said 'don't hit him'. They then walked off without paying.

"I am speaking out because I don't want anyone else to experience what I did. Taxi drivers, and delivery drivers have no protection at all - we get abused and attacked. I have been doing this job for ten years, with five years at Cresta. We have runners all the time - but this was not about not paying. The man who hit me was about 25/26 and white."

Mr Zubair picked up the pair near Canons Grove, Monsall, but was directed to Pitsford Road to drop them off.

Superintendent Paul Walker, from GMP’s City of Manchester division, said: “On Tuesday 3 May, a male taxi driver reported an assault at the front desk of a local police station that took place in Monsall, where a passenger assaulted him at around 4.30pm on the same day.

“The crime was recorded by the member of staff on the front desk to be allocated to an officer for attendance where there has been a delay. This is not the right level of service the public expect, especially in a case where the man has been assaulted in his own vehicle, and for this we apologise.

"This matter has now been picked up by CID who have spoken to the victim and will follow up all lines of enquiry in order to find those responsible.

“GMP will always strive to make sure who those get in touch with us receive the best, most appropriate response and I am grateful that this has been brought to our attention, meaning we can continue to learn and improve to continue to help make the streets of Greater Manchester a safer place to live, work and visit.”

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 4:29 pm 

'Helping make' [wherever] a 'safer place to live, work and visit' is a classic PR/comms cliche right at the end there, so makes you doubt their sincerity in relation to the apology etc [-(

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:52 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
they aren't taking this seriously :sad:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:11 pm 

edders23 wrote:
they aren't taking this seriously :sad:

Indeed, but they bloody well should be.

Two of the police's top priorities are hate crime and domestic violence.

The police hierarchy will be fuming this has been left on someone's desk with no action taken for a week.