Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:29 am 

Thug tried to rob Bolton taxi driver and stabbed him with scissors

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/20 ... -scissors/

A thug tried to rob a taxi driver in Bolton by tightening a seatbelt around him and stabbing him with a pair of scissors.

Stephen Mambwe went into the United Taxis on Lever Street in the early hours of the morning and requested to be taken to a nearby Sainsburys.

But Bolton Crown Court heard when it was time to pay he grabbed the seatbelt tight leaving the driver in fear for his life.

During the terrifying incident he pulled out a pair of scissors and struck the driver to the hand.

Aubrey Sampson, prosecuting, revealed the threats made by Mambwe.

He said: “The defendant shouted ‘empty your pockets or I am going to kill you.’”

The driver said the money bag was under his seat.

But Mambwe continued to hold the seatbelt.

The driver eventually opted to put his foot on the pedal and drive into a bollard which meant he was able to get out of the car.

Mambwe was detained by police at a later date.

He appeared in court to be sentenced after admitting attempted robbery and possession of a weapon in a public place.

The 28-year-old also admitted the offence, which took place in February this year, occurred while he was serving a suspended sentence for possession of an offensive weapon.

Nick Ross, defending, said Mambwe was “realistic” about the sentence which would be imposed.

He said he had shown genuine remorse displayed by a letter he had written to the court in which he wished to apologise.

Mr Ross said there were also psychiatric issues and Mambwe still spoke of “hearing voices” and this had been “no doubt compounded by the fact there was class A drug use” at the time.”

Recorder Jeremy Lasker said: “This sentence is so serious that only a custodial sentence can be imposed.”

He jailed him for six years for the attempted robbery and another six months for the breach of the suspended sentence.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:30 am 

Quote:
Mr Ross said there were also psychiatric issues and Mambwe still spoke of “hearing voices” and this had been “no doubt compounded by the fact there was class A drug use” at the time.”

Yes, there could well be a link between taking hard drugs and hearing voices :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:22 am 

StuartW wrote:

But Bolton Crown Court heard when it was time to pay he grabbed the seatbelt tight leaving the driver in fear for his life.

Isn't this the very reason that we have the exemption from wearing seatbelts?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:55 am 

It's an exemption, though, it's not compulsory.

So who doesn't wear their seatbelt? I tend to wear mine, even though HCDs are exempt all the time.

I suspect most PHDs do likewise. And aren't PHDs only exempt when carrying passengers?

Which would make it a tad awkward, I'm guessing. I mean:

PHD: "Where to, Sir?"

Headbanger: "The Slug and Lettuce."

PHD: "OK, but hold on till I remove my seatbelt in case you try to strangle me."

:roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:48 am 

StuartW wrote:
It's an exemption, though, it's not compulsory.

So who doesn't wear their seatbelt? I tend to wear mine, even though HCDs are exempt all the time.

I suspect most PHDs do likewise. And aren't PHDs only exempt when carrying passengers?

Which would make it a tad awkward, I'm guessing. I mean:

PHD: "Where to, Sir?"

Headbanger: "The Slug and Lettuce."

PHD: "OK, but hold on till I remove my seatbelt in case you try to strangle me."

:roll:

I take mine off when working at night between jobs. I certainly don't have a conversation about it. I pull up at the pick up point and as the customer gets in I unclip the belt. How is that awkward? once I drop them off I simply put it back in. No problem whatsoever. the only time I wear the belt with customers on board is school runs and jobs where I will be driving on duel carriageways and motorways (airports).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:04 am 

I was being sarcastic - it wasn't supposed to be literally a conversation.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:30 pm 

Quote:

Around the city I don't wear mine, on a run I do.