Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:52 am 

Man admits attacking taxi driver with glass bottle

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/20596 ... ss-bottle/

A customer beat his taxi driver over the head with a glass bottle – after he turned up to collect the fare late.

Malcolm Njururi's victim said the attack had left him wanting to leave the driving profession.

His 24-year-old attacker, who was given a suspended sentence in December for dealing class A drugs, ordered the Royal Cars cab to pick him up from an Abingdon cul-de-sac on April 30 last year.

Prosecutor Anna Fitchett told Oxford Magistrates’ Court: “When he arrived, there was nobody around. He called the defendant, Mr Njururi. The defendant told him he was too late. He didn’t want the taxi anymore.”

As the first driver was waiting, a second cab arrived. Njururi, who had ordered the second vehicle, came out the house and spoke to the waiting driver.

The second cabbie told him to take the first car. A heated discussion began with the first taxi driver, the court heard.

Ms Fitchett said: “[The defendant] has tried to pull the victim out of the taxi before hitting him over the head with a glass bottle.”

The driver was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital and treated for a 5cm wound to his head.

Photographs shown to the court by the prosecutor pictured pooled blood on the pavement and the taxi driver’s bloodied head.

In a victim personal statement, the minicab driver said: “I feel very scared and shaken up by what happened.

“I am no longer going to be a taxi driver because of this incident.

“I do not come to work to be assaulted by someone when I am just trying to complete my job.”

Njururi, of Normandy Crescent, Oxford, pleaded guilty to causing actual bodily harm. He had seven previous convictions for nine offences and was currently subject to a suspended prison sentence, although as it was imposed after cab driver assault he was not in breach of that court order.

Mitigating, Angela Porter said her client had approached the second taxi when his driver spoke to the first cabbie ‘in a language he didn’t understand’.

“In the course of the heated discussion with the first taxi driver he accepts he had a beer bottle in his hand and that connected with the taxi driver’s head,” the advocate said.

The magistrates bailed Njururi to return to court on September 1 for sentence and ordered a probation report.

Last year, Njururi was given a two year suspended prison sentence. Recorder John Hardy QC said: “If you want a tip from me, young man, about how to live your life, live it with your family...who depend upon you; not with people who represent the dark side of life.”

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:52 am 

Quote:
He had seven previous convictions for nine offences and was currently subject to a suspended prison sentence, although as it was imposed after cab driver assault he was not in breach of that court order.

](*,)

Quote:
“In the course of the heated discussion with the first taxi driver he accepts he had a beer bottle in his hand and that connected with the taxi driver’s head,” the advocate said.

I thought people only said that kind of thing as a joke these days ](*,)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:55 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
another out of control animal that needs caging to protect the public

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:04 am 

Got lucky, this banger :roll:

Taxi driver struck with bottle after 'arriving late' to Abingdon flat

https://www.heraldseries.co.uk/news/208 ... gdon-flat/

Image: The Herald Series

An irate customer who beat a late-arriving cab driver over the head with a glass bottle has walked from court with a suspended sentence.

Malcolm Njururi’s six month suspended jail term will be served when an existing two-year term – imposed last December for dealing hard drugs – comes to an end in 2023.

Yesterday, Oxford Magistrates’ Court heard how the 24-year-old ordered a Royal Cars car to pick him up from a property in Allder Close on April 30 last year.

When the driver arrived, there was no one waiting for the car. He called the number of the man who had booked the cab. Njururi answered, telling the driver he was too late and he no longer wanted the taxi.

As the first cab was waiting outside the property, a vehicle from another firm turned up. Njururi went to speak to the second driver.

The defendant was directed to the first taxi and a heated discussion began, the court was previously told.

Prosecutor Ann Sawyer-Brandish said the driver of the first vehicle was unsure whether Njururi opened the car door or reached through the open window.

He felt a crack to his head and, when he touched the wound, discovered he was bleeding.

The driver was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital and treated for a 5cm wound to his head.

Photographs previously shown to the magistrates’ court pictured pooled blood on the pavement and the taxi driver’s bloodied head.

In his police statement, the minicab driver said the fracas had left him ‘very scared and shaken up’.

“I am no longer going to be a taxi driver because of this incident,” he added.

“I do not come to work to be assaulted by someone when I am just trying to complete my job.”

Njururi, of Normandy Crescent, Oxford, pleaded guilty last month to causing actual bodily harm.

On Thursday, when he returned to Oxford Magistrates’ Court to be sentenced, the justices heard that the assault was committed before he received a two-year suspended sentence from a crown court judge in December.

That was important, defence advocate Gordana Austin said, as it meant he was not in breach of the judge’s sentence – and would not face a near-automatic activation of the two year jail term.

Ms Austin asked the bench to bear in mind the delay in the case being charged – the reasons for which were unclear. Her client, a dad-of-two, had moved back in with his mum, was in work and had stayed out of trouble.

Njururi had not realised he had a bottle in his hand when he struck the cabbie, she added.

The bench imposed six months’ imprisonment suspended for two years, with 200 hours of unpaid work and ordered he pay £300 in compensation and £213 in costs and surcharge.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:05 am 

Quote:
Njururi had not realised he had a bottle in his hand when he struck the cabbie, she added.

:---)

Luckily the bottle he's carrying in the photo looks like it's just plastic =D> ](*,)

Hope he didn't take it into the courtroom - not a good look for someone accused of hitting someone with a bottle :lol: