Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:12 pm 

jimbo wrote:
Sussex wrote:
I would place a bet that in most areas of the country when a council say the fare is going up x%, no-one ever checks it.

That includes councillors and the local trade. :roll:

Sussex, I have asked this question of you before, and I will ask you again. When, to your certain knowledge, has a Council imposed an increase on the tariff against the wishes of the trade? Locally,I know of a taxi driver who wrote to his LA complaining that fares had not increased in NINE years. They wrote back to him saying, " but no one has asked for an increase in nine years!" If you do not ask, you do not get? Surely it is the case that a Council could not,and would not, impose an increase against the wishes of the trade? Why would they?

Didn't Mansfield implement a rise with disregard to the wishes of the trade?

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:12 pm 

jimbo wrote:
Sussex, I have asked this question of you before, and I will ask you again. When, to your certain knowledge, has a Council imposed an increase on the tariff against the wishes of the trade?

My point wasn't about a council imposing an un-wanted rise, although that happens, but that many drivers haven't a clue what the rise is and the justification for that rise.

Back to the imposition. Fare rises are negotiated with a few drivers and LOs. The first time most drivers know about an increase, and what that increase is, is when they get a note from the council to go and change their tariff. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:44 am 

Sussex wrote:
jimbo wrote:
Sussex, I have asked this question of you before, and I will ask you again. When, to your certain knowledge, has a Council imposed an increase on the tariff against the wishes of the trade?

My point wasn't about a council imposing an un-wanted rise, although that happens, but that many drivers haven't a clue what the rise is and the justification for that rise.

Back to the imposition. Fare rises are negotiated with a few drivers and LOs. The first time most drivers know about an increase, and what that increase is, is when they get a note from the council to go and change their tariff. :?

A bit of a vague answer, but no matter. I do not accept that a council would be bothered to impose an increase without consultation.

You are correct in your supposition that increases are negotiated with a few drivers. It's down to apathy, isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:54 am 

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/internet/At ... s_2006.pdf

new fare table

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:17 am 

chipper wrote:
http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/internet/Attachments/Internet/Business/Licensing/licences/Taxi/Fares/taxi_fares_2006.pdf

I note that Edinburgh have no idea about the law in relation to the number of customers. [-(

If the plate says licensed for 5, then that means licensed for 5, not licensed for 4 adults and 2 kids. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:10 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I note that Edinburgh have no idea about the law

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
now there would be a first :wink: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:01 pm 

Sussex wrote:
chipper wrote:

I note that Edinburgh have no idea about the law in relation to the number of customers. [-(

If the plate says licensed for 5, then that means licensed for 5, not licensed for 4 adults and 2 kids. :shock:

Where does it say that you can carry more than 5? If you learned to read properly instead of trying to be the smart arse all the time, you would have understood that this part of the fare table:-

EXTRA PAYMENTS
When more than 2 passengers - Each £0.20
Note: Only 2 children under 12 years will be reckoned as one passenger.
No extra fare will be charged for one child under 5 years of age.
Each Passenger must be properly seated.

as the heading states, only applies to "extra payments" - not to carrying capacity.

Should you still be unable to grasp this (or now claim that you were being sarcastic or tongue in cheek), please contact your nearest primary school for advice!! 8-[ 8-[

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:06 pm 

alan G wrote:
as the heading states, only applies to "extra payments" - not to carrying capacity.

I can't believe I've got it wrong. For the first time in my life. :oops:

Sorry it's the second time, the first time was when I thought you was a honest admin chappy. :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:31 pm 

alan G wrote:
Should you still be unable to grasp this (or now claim that you were being sarcastic or tongue in cheek), please contact your nearest primary school for advice!! 8-[ 8-[

The phraseology does seem a bit strange, however, particularly the use of the word 'only'.

I would guess that previously the rule did apply in the context of the maximum number of passengers and that the wording on the fare card is a legacy of that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:40 pm 

TDO wrote:
alan G wrote:

The phraseology does seem a bit strange, however, particularly the use of the word 'only'.

I would guess that previously the rule did apply in the context of the maximum number of passengers and that the wording on the fare card is a legacy of that?

Sorry but no. If you carried four children only 2 would be classed as 1 adult the other 2 would be classed as if they were adults. So you would be entitled to charge as if you had 3 passengers.

It used to say "only the first 2 children."

Hope this clarifies it for you
:) :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:01 pm 

Yes, thank you, I did realise what the rule meant.

What I did say was that the wording of the rule seemed a bit odd in that context, I wasn't querying its meaning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:32 pm 

TDO wrote:
Yes, thank you, I did realise what the rule meant.

What I did say was that the wording of the rule seemed a bit odd in that context, I wasn't querying its meaning.

Whats the extra charge if you have two adults and one child aged 12, or three children all under 12, or 4 children all under 12? two adults and 3 children aged 12? and finally 5 children all aged 12?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:12 am 

Why do you ask?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:17 am 

By the way, you would need to be more specific about the ages if you want the question answered :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:15 am 

TDO wrote:
By the way, you would need to be more specific about the ages if you want the question answered :wink:

The fare chart is a little ambiguous don't you think? Then again most fare charts are. Perhaps someone in Edinburgh can tell us what Extras are charged for the number of persons I quoted?

Regards

JD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next