Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:05 am 

I see the diference here guy's :oops:

We are PH not hack's therefore have no metre. When asked how we calcutate our fares we tell them on a base to base basis, which is totally correct. we charge for ALL dead mileage regardless of where the job actually starts or finishes, for example hetahrow to gatwick to heathow, then if you get a landing from gatwick also to take you home effectivly you are being paid twice :shock:

Take care

Eric 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:53 pm 

I've just run it through our computer, and we achieve an average across the fleet of nigh on 50% dead mileage. On some cars it is quite low 36% is the lowest while 71% is the highest. We are a rural area, and quite often have to do a few miles to pick up then a few miles back, but its swings and roundabouts.

I remember an Inland Revenue document somewhere (was it IR35?) where it gave 50% as an acceptable figure, but based this also on fuel amounting to no more than 20% of the cars gross take. That was a few years ago, before the fuel price hikes though.

If you cahrge base to base prices, it would appear that you have no dead mileage Eric. Which makes me understand why you can afford a Merc. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:39 pm 

Yes, it will depend on the type of area, how the firm works and individual driver preferences etc.

Someone like GBC may have a lot less than 50%, for example, especially when it's busy, because he won't have to go far for the next flag, and he'll broom anything that might mean difficulty in securing his next trap :wink:

In more rural areas, at least 50% is likely to be the norm, since cars will tend to return to the rank empty (assuming the have one). It could even be a lot less - in my small town the office cars all return to the centre after a job to await there next one - but this could mean hiking half a mile for a half mile job then half a mile back to the centre again, thus on 33% of mileage paid.

In the bigger cities some cars tend to stay in the area where they drop until they get another job, while some will prefer to hike to areas where they're more likely to get a job quicker, thus more dead mileage in the latter scenario, but in the hope of offsetting this with less dead time.

And while drivers may have a choice in this, in other cases their office may have more say in how they work things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:15 pm 

Andy7 wrote:

Quote:
If you cahrge base to base prices, it would appear that you have no dead mileage Eric. Which makes me understand why you can afford a Merc.

Sick & wrong end is a phrase that springs to mond here.

If you charge £2.00 per mile and £1.00 base to base it is a broad as it is long, however it is the fact that all dead mileage is paid for by the punter which the important isue here not how much per mile they pay :wink:

Yes of course I charge extra if they want a Merc but that is also charged base to base PH can legitimatly do this as it is the operator who calculates a fixed fare not some pocky metre. :D

Take care

Eric 8)

PS my Merc does not cost anymore than a black Taxi with the obvious exception I only have to pay a license fee and not pay for a plate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:35 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I doubt i could work out my dead mileage as such because only a proportion of fares are metered the rest are fixed prices for regulars contracts etc. I had to go through an investigation about 6 years ago. The IR tried to work on %age of fuel to takings but this is a very rough measure. It is important to stick your ground with them a bit because they go into the investigation assuming that they are going to find something. That doesn't mean to say that they have any real evidence of wrongdoing but they will push hard to force you to accept their "enhanced" assessment of your taxes based on a few often false assumptions about how much you really take and they will spend hours trying to prove that fuel receipts are private mileage not business. If you go in prepared to argue the case with them it will generally work out better give a little ground and that gives them the satisfaction of having achieved something but do fight your corner or you'll end up paying too much tax plus interest for the year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:00 pm 

as stated before if you charge for the daed mileage then you can claim all the fuel charge. Alas this is not possible to do fo hack only PHV :lol:

Eric 8)