Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:29 pm 

I find that my local paper shop and cafe will always take change off me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:33 pm 

I knew a guy who always used to pay his settle in coins until he recieved his monthly contract money in a big bag of COINS !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:55 pm 

The bank cant refuse to take the coins of you as long as there in proper bank bags i take mine in every few weeks loads of coins at one time and that's the halifax here in glasgow they take them of me all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:23 pm 

I rarely have a problem with change, in fact it's more often a shortage of it rather than trying to get rid of it. Its only rarely that I use coins to pay for fuel, and haven't used loads of coins to pay bills etc for years.

If I ever have a shortage of change I just make sure I use notes to pay for most thing and then build up a bit of change that way.

I suppose it depends what kind of work you do. I tend to sit at our local station where most jobs are about £8/9 or so so people tend either to give you a tenner and leave the change as a tip or take the change so it tends to be notes in and change out.

In st Andrews itself the shorter runs tends to mean more change, but doing some station work and some town centre work seems to balance things out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:18 pm 

I am sure taxidrivers are under no obligation to give change the customer should give you the right money I never give notes back to the customer allways small change

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:40 pm 

:shock: :shock:

Loads a love from BERTIE !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:14 pm 

tcabbie wrote:
I am sure taxidrivers are under no obligation to give change the customer should give you the right money I never give notes back to the customer allways small change

Sounds a bit like the Brisol taxi driver a while back, who said on his website:

Quote:
I find this case worrying as in my opinion it is not the responsibility of the driver to carry change for any notes that a passenger might come up with.

In these days of ATM that dish out £20 notes all day long, and customers give them to you expecting £17 change. How are drivers expected to cope with small fares and big notes. I do not think a driver should be expected to give his time for free, while the person who owes him money arranges their finances. Would a bank?, or indeed the City Council.

Change is often a pain, but I can't ever recall not being able to give people the correct change, although somtimes if I'm running short I often ask them if they have something smaller , and very often they do.

I said:

Quote:
I think his attitude is pretty ridiculous, he's probably the type who goes on about being a businessman, but doesn't have enough change to his customers like any other business.

Mabye it's because as a customer he always proffers the exact amount (presumably) that he never has any change left to give to his own customers.

I usually take out a float of around £50 (twenty in notes), which seems to be a bit higher than the other drivers, maybe that's why I have less problems?

What float do others take out, or maybe it's not a qood question to ask in public.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:19 pm 

It should be pointed out that his comments were made in the context of a driver being taken to court for supposedly overcharging customers because he didn't have the correct change.

http://www.taxidriver.fsnet.co.uk/CHANGEDR.htm

But I suspect it's merely a question of common sense - indeed, since I don't know any driver who don't take out a float then presumably there's an expectation that change will have to be given.

If we all assumed otherwise then the whole world of commerce would grind to a halt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:10 am 

Open another account at a different bank or just change all the coins there my wife does this before going to the building society sometimes she has £250 all bagged up