Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:27 pm 
Our local trade has asked for a increase in fares bewtween 12pm and 6am of an extra pound. This is to make more drivers work on Fri/Sat and Sat/Sun night.
Now I work those hours but I think im going to get grief when they get in my car and the meter says £4.10.
The thing is they want more drivers to work at night but if you work from 12 till 4 and do 4 jobs an hour. Bearing in mind most of the jobs that time of night are good/long. Then that is £16 a night or £32 a week.
How many people are goiung to change their lifestyle for £32 a week?
Ive spoken to my mates and they dont want it. So why are we having it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:28 am 
Cgull wrote:
Our local trade has asked for a increase in fares bewtween 12pm and 6am of an extra pound. This is to make more drivers work on Fri/Sat and Sat/Sun night.
Now I work those hours but I think im going to get grief when they get in my car and the meter says £4.10.
The thing is they want more drivers to work at night but if you work from 12 till 4 and do 4 jobs an hour. Bearing in mind most of the jobs that time of night are good/long. Then that is £16 a night or £32 a week.
How many people are goiung to change their lifestyle for £32 a week?
Ive spoken to my mates and they dont want it. So why are we having it?

Do what I will do, write in and object when it is advertised. In my mind what should happen perhaps is a calander triggered night tariff calibrated on the yardage.... if a different night charge is wanted in the first place ,apart from the existing 80p from 10pm to 6am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:30 am 
Above posted by scanner... keep "%$"$"!!! forgetting to login!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:19 am 
Anonymous wrote:

lets get this right scanner

you write in to oppose a pay increace for the boys? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:25 am 

Well if it's going to kill the night trade for no real gain, I have to agree with him.

If we used your analogy, then we should charge £50 a mile and allow no-one to object.

The amendment of the yardage on the tariff is by far the best way.

Then they get in the car, and don't get the hump straight away. London has been doing it this way for years, but are they classed as cheap?

Lets give them the stealth tax way, like my mate Gordon. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:23 pm 

In November 2002 the PH companies in Southport introduced Tariff 2 at the same time as the price increase which meant we were the same price as the Hackneys, T2 is T1 + 25% and is from midnight till 5am (Hacks start at 11pm). When we started using T2 I had no one complain but in the first month or two I had to tell each and every passenger just so they knew when it came to paying when I got to their destination.

Adding £1 per journey seems a little strange as one driver could only be doing 1 job of a decent milage per hour while others are doing short trips non stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:44 pm 

I also think the best way is to adjust the tarrif.

Then the short journeys don't pay over the top, and the long ones under it. :?

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:52 pm 

Whatever Mick wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

lets get this right scanner

you write in to oppose a pay increace for the boys? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Not sure what you are getting at here. And there was another post on here that raised the point of objection. However, you did not pick up on that one did you. Any chance of not making remarks about my posts without your hidden agenda of a grudge. GROW UP "WHATEVER MICK"!!

However, in answer to your remark. Yes I do object to having to put up with the hassle from Joe Drunk on a Saturday night who is looking for a fight to see the meter start at £4.10. Working weekends is stressful enough as it is without the extra hassle this will cause.

And "Whatever Mick" if you took the f***ing time to actually read my post I have not made any objecting to charging more at night. I just dont want it slapped up there in front to be met with "HOW MUCH ALREADY, IVE ONLY JUST GOT IN THE CAB" senario.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:28 pm 

Im a little confused by this one, you say that the local trade has applied for an increase but you and your mates dont want the extra charge.

Why would the trade apply for an increase that wasnt wanted?

Im not sure how you apply for increases in your area, but in mine its done by the local association, the members decide if an increase should be applied for, discussions then take place with the treasury department of the council to work out a fare prior to any meetings.

I can take your point of the initial hiring charge scaring customers, but surely at the times and days you suggest there is a sufficient demand, the high initial charge would probably ensure that those short hires that we all get pay sufficiently.

Just a few thoughts, and for what its worth I see your point and Im being objective in this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:41 pm 

As like you, I don't know the fine details in Cgull's manor, but from experience of other manors, it's usually the lads with the biggest gobs that set the fares. :oops:

The others just sit back and take it, just like most other issues. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:30 pm 

Sorry I am amazed that the opportunity to seriously bump up your income at peak hours is a chance to shun.

From my experience it takes punters two weeks to get used to such surcharges and they believe prices displayed on a meter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:19 pm 
I and my mates dont want the increase i suppose for the same reason you dont put up your prises at night to a level that will lose you customers.
My meter will start at £4.10 and i know it will lose us some custom and [edited by admin] off many.
I would sooner have a different rate and start with a lower flag fare. At that time of night most of the jobs are good one.
But the increase is being held as something to get more drivers out. It wont they can earn bundles now if they work nights. An extra quid will do nothing to get more out.
But im not sure I want more out anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:57 pm 

I suppose the quicker we get them home, the less likely there is to be trouble.

And according to OFT, the trade will then increase. :? :?

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:58 pm 

Cgull wrote:
I and my mates dont want the increase i suppose for the same reason you dont put up your prises at night to a level that will lose you customers.
My meter will start at £4.10 and i know it will lose us some custom and [edited by admin] off many.
I would sooner have a different rate and start with a lower flag fare. At that time of night most of the jobs are good one.
But the increase is being held as something to get more drivers out. It wont they can earn bundles now if they work nights. An extra quid will do nothing to get more out.
But im not sure I want more out anyway.

I can see now. Sounds like biting your nose of to spite your face!

Your arguments contradict themselves.

A higher flagfall won't affect the 'good jobs', just the dickheads who keep you waiting outside a pub for ten minutes to go 500 yds via a ten minute stop at the kebab house.

You say it won't encourage more drivers out, so why worry about it.

Long term, get the punters to conditioned to paying more at flagfall makes it easier to raise the flagfall during the day at a later date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:02 pm 

A contradiction in the HC/PH trade, surely not !! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Alex