Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:31 pm 

Quote:
how do you know the girls had ever even been to where they were picked up before

i dont! but most customers have some idea, as the guys say its a communication error, thats all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:24 am 

Well perhaps most do, but presumably the girls were part of the rest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:27 am 

187ums wrote:
Quote:
how do you know the girls had ever even been to where they were picked up before

i dont! but most customers have some idea, as the guys say its a communication error, thats all

Yes, I agree that it was a communication error, but the point was that you were trying to blame it on the girls without any evidence.

And surely the point of the discussion is the limitations of sat-nav equipment and unsuitable drivers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:57 am 

There is only one reason why this incident manifested itself and that is because the driver couldn't converse in our native language.

No one in their right minds would take a passenger on a 57 mile trip without first asking the punter where they were going. The first thing you ask a passenger is "where to luv" and as soon as they said a caravan site in the "New Forest" Lymington that should have been the end of it. There should have been no need for these passengers to write the address on a piece of paper after all, New Forest Lymington is only 18 miles away, no matter how you spell it.

If Lymington was spelt Leamington the very fact that "New Forest" was part of the address should have been sufficient to make the driver aware of the intended destination.

The fact remains that everything points to this driver's command of the English language and the area where he worked as being inadequate.

I'm not buying into the theory that Taxi drivers in Bournemouth don't know where the New Forest is?

I think I'm going to give up pressing for higher driver standards because perhaps Trevor Jones is it right when he says, "let anyone have a badge because Sat Nav will take care of the rest? None of the Taxi associations have ever "pressed" for Quality driver controls because they are all run by individuals who can't see past quantity controls.

NTA, T&G if you are listening get your act together and write to the DfT "DEMANDING" "PROPER" HIGH STANDARDS in Quality driver controls, before this industry sinks to even lower depths.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:17 am 

Maybe the girls were drunk, and the driver could not understand them :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:43 am 

rambo wrote:
Maybe the girls were drunk, and the driver could not understand them :wink: .

What I can't understand is that they could send a cabbie 57 miles all the way to Yeovil and get them to thier destination in the New Forest, yet they couldn't get them to their destination from Bournemouthy railway station, which is only 18 miles. That suggests to me that the girls new the address of where they were going but the dopy driver obviously doesn't know where the New Forest is?

Regards

JD