UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:24 pm 

Polish shop steward at Tesco Distribution site sacked
29 Aug 2006

T&G say Tesco must act to end unfair practices

The Transport & General Workers' Union said today (Tuesday 29th August 2006) that one of its shop stewards at a Tesco Distribution warehouse in Middleton in the north west has been sacked, and the union believes he was sacked following comments in an article in the Daily Mail. For a number of months the T&G has been campaigning to end the two tier pay and conditions and other problems that exist on the site.

The T&G believe that the fact that Wincanton workers and Driving Edge workers, both groups permanently employed on site, have different pay and conditions is discriminatory. It also causes friction between the two groups of workers.

The T&G is pursuing this matter at an employment tribunal.

The union is also concerned about a number of other problems workers face such as deductions from wages, the way they are charged for the accommodation and the way accommodation is tied to the job.

The sacked shop steward, Adam, has not only been told that he has lost his job, he has also been given just seven days to leave the company accommodation.

Mick Cashman, senior organiser for the T&G, said: "I believe that Adam and his fellow workers are being treated in a disgraceful and unacceptable manner and Tesco have a responsibility to intervene and put a stop to what is taking place on their distribution site.

"We are demanding that Tesco and Wincanton meet with us within seven days to resolve these issues, and if such a meeting does not take place we will take the campaign to Tesco's customers in the UK, Poland and Ireland to ask for their support."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:36 pm 

Tesco today PHV soon if not already!
Any ideas how to stop it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:55 pm 

Quote:
Tesco today PHV soon if not already!
Any ideas how to stop it?

It's a difficult one, and perhaps the word you use 'stop' isnt the ideal choice (unless you mean the exploitation).

The biggest danger in my own eyes is flooding a relatively unskilled occupation with more labour, the result of which can only drive down the wages of those in the trade, and leading to decent people leaving the trade.

Is the solution higher entry standards (like what has been mentioned on here)?

I'm not too sure, it will certainly have the effect of at least stemming the flow from a flood to a drip.

I have grave doubts about the training, whilst some training is better than none, given the examples set out by JD from Saturday evening, given the examples cited my some of my colleagues and friends, given the proof of certain local authority websites, we have to question the standard of training available.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:28 pm 

Eh?

Last week we were broadly in disagreement about this issue, now we seem to be a broadly in agreement. :-k

But you know what they say, a week is a long time in the taxi trade :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:35 pm 

Quote:
Eh?

Last week we were broadly in disagreement about this issue, now we seem to be a broadly in agreement.

But you know what they say, a week is a long time in the taxi trade

could you say which specific points? I dont think there was a disagreement (other than in your mind) :lol:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:43 pm 

I would point out where you're contradicting yourself, but I wouldn't want to upset the new found consensus :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:44 pm 

Quote:
I would point out where you're contradicting yourself, but I wouldn't want to upset the new found consensus

no please dont let me stop you :lol:

CC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:45 pm 

Captain as regards Tesco situation in PHV,we have recognition agreements that limit number of drivers at companies,if propriotor wants too increase driver numbers he HAS to negotiate with local on site rep,this rep then consults MEMBERSHIP at company,MEMBERSHIP agreement assures no new drivers on lower rates.It is irrelevant drivers racial origin,for if agreement is reached on increasingdrivers numbers management then recruit from where they like[until we achieve pre entry closed shop] one requirement for this situatuon substantial UNION membership within company another advantage of organisation.Come DEC 31 no more temporary permits in London should get interesting massive driver shortages,drivers able to cherry pick companies propriotors battle each other for staff we ORGANISE AGITATE AGITATE AGITATE EDUCATE ,cant wait.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:59 pm 

GMB Branch secretary wrote:
Come DEC 31 no more temporary permits in London.

About time too. =D>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:50 pm 

GMB Branch secretary wrote:
Come DEC 31 no more temporary permits in London should get interesting massive driver shortages

Chi-ching, rustle rustle. :wink: