Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:55 pm 

smiffyz (geoff) wrote:
JD wrote:
JD wrote:
The council called a conference of local authorities with Pink Ladies franchises in July. "The view from everybody present was the law needed to be sorted," said Phil Barnes, the taxis licensing officer.

It would appear Phil Barnes of Warrington was a prime mover in bringing these councils together.

Regards

JD

Yes he's on the ball, there have been time's when we've had words but all in all he's good for the industry.
I belive he's recently won a national award to. =D>

Yes he seems ok, we had a long discussion back in June about Pink ladies and I expect you guys in Warrington have also been bending his ear.

I'm going to sort out a campaign thread next week on the Pink Ladies issue but for the time being here is a link to all MP's just type in your post code and an email box will present itself, all you have to do is put in the text.

http://www.upmystreet.com/commons/l/

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:22 pm 

House of Commons
Westminster
London

Dear

Please find attached;

1. DFT letter
2. NTA Press Release
3. Article from Warrington Guardian

During July, the DFT announced plans to repeal section 75(1)(b) of the Local Government Miscellaneous Provisions Act.

This section of the act permits vehicles and drivers to operate outside the licensing remit, provided they are on contracts of not less than 7 days. It has in effect created a loophole.

This loophole has led to vehicles and drivers effectively operating as private hire, but without regulation of any description.

If you consider the type of work carried out by vehicles and drivers under the contract exemption, such as carrying children, it seems patently ridiculous, in this day and age, that we have allowed this to happen for so long.

The DFT announcement has been warmly welcomed by the licensed trade as a sensible step.

Having stated the above, it is my understanding that a lobby is growing to persuade the government to change its mind. I must admit I find this difficult to understand, and sincerely hope the Government and your fellow MP’s have similar thoughts.

Is the lobby seriously suggesting the public should be able to hire unlicensed vehicles with un-vetted drivers? That would appear to be the argument against the repeal of section 75(1)(b).

As I am sure you will be aware, licensing is in place to protect the public, and as the NTA press release suggests, it isnt particularly burdensome to people who want to operate legitimately.

I hope you support the repeal.

Sincerely,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:01 pm 

Alex wrote:
JD wrote:
I think that goes without question, there is website that has a link to every MP I'll post that on here if I can find it.

On our database we have all the e-mail addresses of both MPs and MSPs, as of three years ago.

Although I didn't compile the list, I think the MPs addies are incomplete, although all the MSPs are there - they're all on the Scottish Parliament website, so harvesting them were relatively easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:03 pm 

Of course, the amendment will only apply to England and Wales, but the problem seems to be largely similar in Scotland, so if anyone wants to lobby the MSPs on the matter then presumably that wouldn't do any harm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:49 pm 

Quote:
Of course, the amendment will only apply to England and Wales, but the problem seems to be largely similar in Scotland, so if anyone wants to lobby the MSPs on the matter then presumably that wouldn't do any harm.

thats if anyone wakes up the STF :sad:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:52 am 

captain cab wrote:
thats if anyone wakes up the STF :sad:

Sleepy hollow syndrome?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:41 pm 

Quote:
Sleepy hollow syndrome?

I think its a little worse, I dont think there's a pulse :lol: