Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Day of Action
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:32 pm 
The T & G are organising a day of action, Cab trade news Jan/Feb edition. T & G are calling on all licensed Cab drivers to join its National day of action on Feb 24th and its mass lobby of parliament on March 3rd. Will you be going?

Inside there is an interesting advert for recruitment into the T & G. It states, As a member of the T & G Cab section you will make policy on all Taxi issues, including "New legislation on a one-tier Taxi system with legitamate PH provision".

Obviously the T & G omitted the words "restricted" It should have read,
"New legislation on a one-tier restricted Taxi system with legitamate PH provision".

Or do the T & G really mean a one tier Taxi system open to all?

And what new legislation are the T & G infering? There is also a reference to negotiating with rail track. Perhaps someone should inform the T & G that rail track no longer exists.

Best wishes

John Davies
Manchester.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:16 pm 

John many of us have been trying to see this mythical act for many moons.

It gives the impression of them knowing what they are doing, but regrettable they don't, and in my opinion never have.

Still as you say, it is quite impressive when a transport union doesn't know who runs the railways. :?

Post subject: Re: Day of Action
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:00 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
The T & G are organising a day of action, Cab trade news Jan/Feb edition. T & G are calling on all licensed Cab drivers to join its National day of action on Feb 24th and its mass lobby of parliament on March 3rd. Will you be going?

Inside there is an interesting advert for recruitment into the T & G. It states, As a member of the T & G Cab section you will make policy on all Taxi issues, including "New legislation on a one-tier Taxi system with legitamate PH provision".

Obviously the T & G omitted the words "restricted" It should have read,
"New legislation on a one-tier restricted Taxi system with legitamate PH provision".

Or do the T & G really mean a one tier Taxi system open to all?

And what new legislation are the T & G infering? There is also a reference to negotiating with rail track. Perhaps someone should inform the T & G that rail track no longer exists.

Best wishes

John Davies
Manchester.

Kin ell does this moron ever give in??? Tell you what John come and meet some real Cabbies on Tueday at Watford train station, I'll be there along with many others decent HC drivers insted of hiding behind a keyboard spouting your bile, tell you what move down to Eastbourne AKA god's waiting room where you Sussex can live in harmony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:18 pm 

It's those stupid cabbies in Watford themselves, that led to them being booted off the station's rank. :shock:

If they didn't follow the big mouths and instead paid the increase, which I'm led to believe was a couple of quid a week, then all this grief wouldn't be happening.

But some pretend to know best. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Anyway could someone tell Mr Cgull, when the union will be demonstrating at Brighton station, thus allowing that station to be 'free and open' to all HC drivers, not just those in the union.

Same union, 100 mile gap, different policy. :? :? :? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:32 pm 
Why should people pay to work???? Alot of firms are getting rich off the backs of Cabbies and it's going to stop. If you are daft enough to pay it then go ahead, principles are a mighty thing Sussex something you don't have. It might only be a couple of quid a week but if they pay the extra couple of quid then next year the train operators will want an extra £20 a week once they see how easy it is to rip Cabbies off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:50 pm 

If a union is going to have a policy, then really it should apply to all. You get pick and mix from a sweet shop, not from a union. :? :? :?

If the HC lads at Watford decided they didn't want to pay, then that's fair enough. But if others are, then what's the problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:51 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Why should people pay to work???? Alot of firms are getting rich off the backs of Cabbies and it's going to stop. If you are daft enough to pay it then go ahead, principles are a mighty thing Sussex something you don't have. It might only be a couple of quid a week but if they pay the extra couple of quid then next year the train operators will want an extra £20 a week once they see how easy it is to rip Cabbies off.

Poole Taxis boycotted the station some years ago and now no-one pays to get the work. There are far too many parasites on the taxi trade, supermarket, hospital payphones etc. they sell our service and we are daft enough to pay them for doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:23 pm 

Well I am happy to pay the rail company a small fraction of the income I generate from parking on their forecourt and taking their customers onto the end of their journey.

And seeing as how they spend just as much with me on carrying their staff around I feel it is justified.

What we have with the rail company is a committment to work together. We ensure their customers receive a good service (which reflects on the whole train experience) and we benefit from the supply of quality work.

Where I do take exception is paying a fraudulent, incompetent outfit like Medigen. I would be happy to pay a supermarket a reasonable amount for the 'exclusive' provision of a free phone to their customers but I won't pay a third party who pocket the vast majority of the money and show no loyalty past the 'biggest backhander'.

How did Medigen keep the contracts after the Money Programme.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:24 pm 

Quite right Mr Poole, but the biggest parasites of the lot are those who get a plate for nothing and then use it to milk working drivers either by selling it to them or renting vehicles at sums amounting to usury.

Like the T&G man in the Wirral for example, who got a free plate in a resticted area then cried foul when others were to be afforded the same treatment. He even had the gall to suggest that his free plate, which had attainted an immediate five figure value, would become worthless and this would breach his human rights.

I also recall our man Nidge bragging about getting a free plates and Ashfield and selling them on - that must be what he means by 'real cabbies'.

BTW Nidge, if anyone is spouting bile it's you, but nothing changes.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:37 pm 

"the biggest parasites of the lot are those who get a plate for nothing and then use it to milk working drivers either by selling it to them or renting vehicles at sums amounting to usury."

Only a fool would refuse such a gift-horse. You should not critiscise someone who takes advantage of the system because the system is wrong. Thats sour grapes because you have not had that oportunity.
The system does need change but overnight solutions rarely work. The standards need to be set first, then work towards a single tier system.
Generally we have ourselves to blaim for the situation.
In-fighting, no national body, apathy, arogance, lack of professionlism its all there. Who ever wanted to be a taxi-driver when they were growing up ? Most of us come into the trade as a last resort, its never a career choice. We badly lack credability and self-esteem.
T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:48 pm 

PooleTaxis wrote:
You should not critiscise someone who takes advantage of the system because the system is wrong. Thats sour grapes because you have not had that oportunity.

Well you started it Mr Poole, have another read of your post that I responed to, or is it the usual double standards.

As for sour grapes, I have a taxi plate in unrestricted area, and I'm very happy for it to stay unrestricted.

I could advocate restrictions but I prefer not to be given the opportunity to be a 'parasite', to use your language.

If you think it's a case of sour grapes on my part then perhaps it's a case of you judging other people by your own standards?

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:16 pm 

PooleTaxis wrote:
Only a fool would refuse such a gift-horse. You should not critiscise someone who takes advantage of the system because the system is wrong. Thats sour grapes because you have not had that oportunity.
The system does need change but overnight solutions rarely work. The standards need to be set first, then work towards a single tier system.

I don't think anyone should refuse the gift-horse, it's just that I think everyone should be able to ride one.

What sense does it may when large amounts of money earn't in this trade, are leaked out to those how couldn't give a dam?

If you work in a restricted area, you must know dozens of HC vehicle owners who wouldn't know their car if it run them over.

Now there's a thought. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:06 am 

Sussex Man & Dusty Bin.

My point is that rules should be in place to ensure that plates only go to those that qualify. Money should not go out of the trade, but as with most businesses good will has a premium. The work has been built up over the years by the existing drivers why should a new comer get that for free. In my area you have to have 3 years as a driver to get on the waiting list. This at least ensures you have made some contribution. I am not against de-regulation but we need time to change and controls to ensure standards are maintained. Look at the fiasco caused by bus de-reg. The railway de-nationalisation. Regulation was introduced years ago to end chaos and give the trade stabillity. Does anyone believe in a free-for-all totally unregulated market. Who would invest in 20k+ vehicles, computer data systems etc. in that business environment. We all know there has to be rules, but who will set them.
T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:29 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:
PooleTaxis wrote:
You should not critiscise someone who takes advantage of the system because the system is wrong. Thats sour grapes because you have not had that oportunity.

Well you started it Mr Poole, have another read of your post that I responed to, or is it the usual double standards.

As for sour grapes, I have a taxi plate in unrestricted area, and I'm very happy for it to stay unrestricted.

I could advocate restrictions but I prefer not to be given the opportunity to be a 'parasite', to use your language.

If you think it's a case of sour grapes on my part then perhaps it's a case of you judging other people by your own standards?

Dusty

What did I start ?
I was refering to the marketting agents etc as being the parasites not those who sell plates. That is a different issue, but I do take your point it is something that needs addressing.
I do judge everyone by my own standards why should I use anyone else's. If we don't have standards we are no better than animals, or lawyers.
Any offence caused (to lawyers) by my last comment purely intentional.
T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:02 am 
PooleTaxis wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Poole Taxis boycotted the station some years ago and now no-one pays to get the work. There are far too many parasites on the taxi trade, supermarket, hospital payphones etc. they sell our service and we are daft enough to pay them for doing it.

but wait a minute poolie
who started the backhanders in the first place?
our rivals are always giving backhanders, even to mark up supermarket tenders.