UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:22 pm 

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:28 pm 

YOUR happy with no choice, fine by me, most disagree though, still this site does attract the DREGS of the London Hack Trade!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UP THE REPUBLIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:11 pm 

GMB Branch secretary wrote:
YOUR happy with no choice, fine by me, most disagree though, still this site does attract the DREGS of the London Hack Trade!!!!!!!!!!!!!

. . . and the fool from the GMB.

Dregs? No, no GMB members in our trade. I was under the impression they worked on your side, whilst the real Taxi drivers / career men stuck with the Licensed London taxi trade?

Have another drink. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:11 pm 

I do not know why LTI did not just put the new engine into the tx2, it would have saved a lot of bother, that would have eliminated the fly wheel and timing chain problems.
i spoke to the sales at Paton's and they said that they had sorted the fly wheel out by fitting a solid one, but they could not answer the timing chain question, I think it could be sorted with an extra tension-er fitted, or a slightly larger drive cog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:01 am 

skippy41 wrote:
I do not know why LTI did not just put the new engine into the tx2, it would have saved a lot of bother, that would have eliminated the fly wheel and timing chain problems.
i spoke to the sales at Paton's and they said that they had sorted the fly wheel out by fitting a solid one, but they could not answer the timing chain question, I think it could be sorted with an extra tension-er fitted, or a slightly larger drive cog

By putting a solid flywheel in it did solve some problems,but it created a new one the gearbox tended to Fcuf..up :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:16 am 

skippy41 wrote:

And didn't they need to redo most of the front end to get abs?

And redo the shocking rear end?

All mounts up doesnt it. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:56 pm 

GBC wrote:
cabby john wrote:
Sounds more like political spin - when are these guys going to realise that every E7, Tournedo,V.W etc equals a lost sale. Between them there must be thousands up and down the country, all lost sales. When I used to have one people (punters) used to ask how much Lts cost, and to a man at times could not believe the price.

Right, now that Terry's off to seek help, I'll answer some of your points.

It's not spin, they've sold over 400, which in Taxi sales terms, is a record.
The TX2 has had it's share of problems, but the latest version (TX4) seems to be doing well, no problems to speak of as such.

A choice would be good, but you have to understand thousands of drivers want to keep the current model, monopoly or not.
Are the alternatives up to the job? Or would problems appear similar in scale to those on the current choice? I admire the E7, but again would I be cursing it after a couple of years? just look at the stories on here about all the different models / dealers and theres a bad news story about them all.

Would the £8K saving be lost after a couple of years as the E7 seems to loose all of its value within a few years, or would it hold it?

cabby john wrote:
For a vehicle that has been in production for well over 50 years (1) Far to many problems and (2) They are extremely over priced.

They are, but it's hardly been the 'same model' for 50 years.
You may remember from 1988, until early 2002 the cab was produced with the Nissan engine, this is acknowledged as the best Taxi (power unit) they've ever produced, most of the critisism about reliability is aimed at the 2002 - 2006 Ford Duratorque engined model's, and I may add it's mainly about the infamous timing chain and flywheels, not the model in general.

cabby john wrote:

It is about time that the guys who purchase these vehicles got together and let Mann & Overton know what they think of their vehicle. Until you do that they will continue along in their own smug way protected by Ken, without London sales M & O would not be in business.

We did, and a second review of the COF took place, amidst a threat of legal action by the Faceena's of Cab Direct.

We all know the result.

As I said, there are many (including me) who would welcome a choice, but there are also many who swear by the LTI model, and they do have a point when it comes down to telling the difference between a real London Taxi, or a wanabee one. Therefore a united front against LTI will never happen unless theres a serious alternative contender comes along.

cabby john wrote:
P.S As an afterthought what about your unions making a representation to Mann & Overton that the cars are not up to standard, they are working in a protected market (M & A) and as such are ripping the members off.

We only have one 'Union' and that's the TGWU with about 600 members.

About 11000 of us belong to the LTDA or the LCDC which are assosciations run by elected members who are all working Licensed London Taxi drivers, not people who have barged in from failed industries proclaiming to be the saviour of mankind. :D

The LTDA tackle both M&O and KPM when it comes to members problems, suffice to say a satisfactory outcome is usually acheived without a hint of Agrivate or Aggitate.

The LTDA also worked with Cab Direct to bring the review of the review of the COF about.

GBC

I take on board what you are saying and in many respects the London cab is iconic, and to that degree I can understand you defending it. It would be interesting to see how many of the 400 were sold in this country and how many in London, as for the rest of the country Ummmm!

What I was basically saying is that seeing how they had such a head start on everyone else, by now it should be perfect. Style wise 10/10 but the rest! they have taken the P**s over the years and it does not help you as drivers when the LA or Ken (whichever) sticks their noses in at your cost.

M&O should be taken to task over their pricing and lack of quality, this would affect their reputation around the world, and they would not like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:13 pm 

The 400 plus TX4's are all London registered.

The figure I've quoted only concerns London sales, clearly there are many other TX4's in service around the other cities of Britain, like Edinburgh or Birmingham.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:43 pm 

GBC wrote:
The figure I've quoted only concerns London sales, clearly there are many other TX4's in service around the other cities of Britain, like Edinburgh or Birmingham.

I see you didn't mention Blackpool. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:47 pm 

GBC wrote:
The 400 plus TX4's are all London registered.

There's 2 down here now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:43 am 

BLACKPOOL AND THIS HEAP A MARRIAGE MADE IN CHINA??????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:50 pm 

GMB Branch secretary wrote:
BLACKPOOL AND THIS HEAP A MARRIAGE MADE IN CHINA??????

This will be your wealth of experience speaking then. Having driven how many LTI vehivles as a Minicab driver? and having lived in Blackpool for how many years?

:-#