Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My diet
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:47 pm 

6 months ago today I decided that I should try and lose a pound or two of weight. Today I have lost 46 pounds and 7 inches from my waist. By my calculation by Easter 2022 I should have dissapeared.

Post subject: Re: My diet
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:13 pm 

grandad wrote:
6 months ago today I decided that I should try and lose a pound or two of weight. Today I have lost 46 pounds and 7 inches from my waist. By my calculation by Easter 2022 I should have dissapeared.

Well done. =D>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:05 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
well done !

I have to do something about mine I am up to 16 stone again and being threatened by the diabetic nurse with big increases in medication. :sad:

Trouble is my lungs were damaged by a very bad bronchitis infection in my mid twentys so I cannot do jogging/running :?

Tried a 5 mile walk yesterday and now my feet are too sore to do even one mile despite building up to it with daily walks for the last week !

I'm sure if my feet could tolerate it I could walk a stone in weight off in 2 to 3 months

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:05 pm 

Well done to Grandad =D>

I lost slightly more weight a few years ago when diagnosed Type 2 diabetic, but over a longer period (one year at least).

I've put on maybe almost half a stone over lockdown, despite walking 6-8 miles per day. Simply been eating more, and I'd need to be walking a few more miles per day to deal with it.

(Roughly speaking, one pound in weight equals over twenty miles walking :-o )

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:53 pm 

edders23 wrote:
I have to do something about mine I am up to 16 stone again and being threatened by the diabetic nurse with big increases in medication. :sad:

My blood sugar was quite high when diagnosed, but the weight loss means I've been off the medication for years now. Of course, weight loss can make a *huge* difference to blood sugar levels, but I know how difficult even maintaining a steady weight can be. (I went from over 14 stone to under 10 - not sure I could summon up the willpower these days.)

Quote:
Trouble is my lungs were damaged by a very bad bronchitis infection in my mid twentys so I cannot do jogging/running :?

Tried a 5 mile walk yesterday and now my feet are too sore to do even one mile despite building up to it with daily walks for the last week !

I'd be better running as well, but it's my feet that stop me doing that, although think my lungs are good enough for my age.

But think I've got arthritis in both big toes, and tend to lean on my foot to one side as a consequence, so doing that for several miles every day means it can get painful along the side of my foot. I've also got poor circulation in the same foot because of an old disc/sciatica problem, which seems to restrict the blood flow, and the diabetes just made the circulation worse :sad:

Not that my feet are in great pain all the time, or anything like that, but the circulation thing in particular means it feels uncomfortable walking on that foot, never mind running :-o

Quote:
I'm sure if my feet could tolerate it I could walk a stone in weight off in 2 to 3 months

Eating less is the easiest way, though, but obviously that's not easy either.

But one Breakaway biscuit is equal to a one-mile walk, while even a small cheeseburger would need 3-4 miles walking to burn it off :shock:

So a stone in weight is equivalent to walking over 300 miles, or 300 Breakaways, or 100 cheeseburgers :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:02 pm 

edders23 wrote:
well done !

I have not done any exercise at all during the six months other than climb the stairs to our office and up to bed at night.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:06 pm 

Well done grandad! =D>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:09 pm 

Thank you all, just another 90 pounds to go now.
My use of insulin has dropped quite significantly as my weight ha gone down and my aim is to get off of it completely by February.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:13 am 

lost 3 stone due to my heart attack diet (not recommended)

darent get on the scales now cos of lockdown

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:43 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:

Do you have to use the scales at the same time as someone from a different Household?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:15 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Chris the Fish wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

Do you have to use the scales at the same time as someone from a different Household?

he borrows them from a neighbour probably :lol:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:40 am 

grandad wrote:

And 3 days later you appear with big fish and chips :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:10 am 

To those of you who are trying to lose weight but enjoy your food, I would recommend the hairy dieters series of cook books, for low calorie count, low sugar, low fat recipes. Lots of the things you love, curries etc. And tasty too. Easy to follow easy to make. Cut back on salt intake too, it stops you burning off fat. And yes, I am a dietitian. Between exercise and diet, the most important is diet.

And step away from that mars bar!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:43 am 

skippy41 wrote:
grandad wrote:

And 3 days later you appear with big fish and chips :lol: :lol:

I don't think so.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:40 am 

jimbo wrote:
And step away from that mars bar!

"A Mars Bar A Day Helps You...", er, gain a couple of pounds over a month :oops:

Or, if you forgo a Mars a day (or equivalent) you could lose a couple of pounds over a month (or at least stop gaining that amount).

Incidentally, my calculations earlier were assuming that one pound in weight equals 2,500 calories or so. In fact, it's actually 3,500 :-o

So you can actually eat slightly more than I suggested for the weight gain. On the other hand, you'd have to walk a bit further to burn off a given amount of fat.

They were just ball park figures anyway, so anyone who hasn't done the maths will get the general idea.

But, roughly speaking:

One pound in body fat = 3,500 calories

A one mile walk will burn 100 calories, so walking 35 miles would burn one pound :shock:

Which is why it's a bit easier to eat 500 calories less a day to lose weight, say. That's about two Mars Bars worth, or a large cheeseburger. That's about one pound in weight over a week.

To lose the same weight to burn off the fat would mean walking five miles per day, which would take most people two hours or more [-(