Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:40 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I remember reading about an Irish bloke who built the worlds largest trawler. He wasn't allowed to operate it in European waters but persuaded a dodgy African government to let him fish theirs until the fish stocks were completely exhausted and he was booted out of there. He sold the ship and retired as one of the wealthiest men in Ireland

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:40 pm 

edders23 wrote:
I remember reading about an Irish bloke who built the worlds largest trawler. He wasn't allowed to operate it in European waters but persuaded a dodgy African government to let him fish theirs until the fish stocks were completely exhausted and he was booted out of there. He sold the ship and retired as one of the wealthiest men in Ireland

I used to work for Aveling Barford who built the worlds biggest dumper truck with a capacity of 100 tons. the only problem they had was that it was to big to be driven out of the town due to the bridges. They had to cut it up and scrap it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:23 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

I used to work for Aveling Barford who built the worlds biggest dumper truck with a capacity of 100 tons. the only problem they had was that it was to big to be driven out of the town due to the bridges. They had to cut it up and scrap it.

somebody didn't think that one through :lol:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:12 am 

edders23 wrote:
grandad wrote:

somebody didn't think that one through :lol:

Every year at the Grantham carnival Barfords would have one of their giant dumper trucks at the front of the parade. This monster took part in the parade before it was scrapped so there will probably be some photos of it around. The next size down was 65 tons capacity and for a while i worked on machining the back axles and chassis. They were big lumps of metal.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:03 pm 

grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

In the 1970’s I worked for Ruston Bucyrus in Lincoln. They built the RB 1260 walking dragline excavators for open cast mining. A clue in the name, the weighed 1260 tons. They were built in sections and assembled on site. Which seemed to work, grandad.