UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:25 am 

MR T wrote:
grandad wrote:
Chris the Fish wrote:
Happy New Year to everyone.

Went out in the Boat fishing yesterday and was more interested in getting warm last night than firing up the computer. It was very COFLD out at sea, but the fishing was good, my Son and I caught about 5 stone. All filleted, and I will pass fillets out to my regulars as I pass their homes during the day today.

Before anyone says there is no F in COLD, let me assure you it was "Effin' Cold" 20 miles out to Sea!

What fish did you catch?

Birdseye Fishfingers
:lol: :lol: :lol: 5 stone of fish fingers would make one hell of a sandwich.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:31 am 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:
Are you saying that the Dutch, french and Spanish were breaching their quotas? Where were they landing these illegally caught fish? Do you have any evidence?

Might be hard to gain evidence from the enforcement authorities in those areas.

A cynic might well say that foreign fisherman have great political weight when it comes to those kind of things.

A cynic might well say that we are the only ones obeying the rules and all other ignore them. So would this ignoring the catch quotas be just a one off or are people suggesting that the EU set the quotas and then turn a blind eye to all but UK fishermen?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:43 pm 

grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Quote:
Are you saying that the Dutch, french and Spanish were breaching their quotas? Where were they landing these illegally caught fish? Do you have any evidence?

A cynic might well say that foreign fisherman have great political weight when it comes to those kind of things.

A cynic might well say that we are the only ones obeying the rules and all other ignore them. So would this ignoring the catch quotas be just a one off or are people suggesting that the EU set the quotas and then turn a blind eye to all but UK fishermen?

You need to remember it will take time to renew the fishing fleet and to issue licenses and quarters ..... not going to happen over night

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:06 pm 

Quote:

I would say that any entity that hasn't had its budget signed off for many many years, isn't going to spend too much time counting fish.

Still that's not our problem anymore, they can catch as much as they like in their waters, in ours if they take the pi** they will end up with none.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:39 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Quote:

Quite likely

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:33 pm 

grandad wrote:
What fish did you catch?

Well I started something there didn't I?

I had Pollack of 12Lb and 10lb, 6 others between 5lb and 7lb. My son had 3 Pollack of 5 to 7lb. So a total of about 5 Stone.

We had a hand full of Whiting ranging between 1 1/2lb to 3lb. Maybe a Stone or so.

All in all about 3 stone, or just under of fillets.

At slack when fishing with bait, hoping for a Ling or Cod, I got into a small Conger but it dropped the hook after I got it 30 or 40 feet up.

No bookings on Thursday and the winds look OK, so might go and have another try.

Are you a Sea Angler Grandad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:18 am 

Chris the Fish wrote:
grandad wrote:
What fish did you catch?

I had Pollack of 12Lb and 10lb, 6 others between 5lb and 7lb. My son had 3 Pollack of 5 to 7lb. So a total of about 5 Stone.

We had a hand full of Whiting ranging between 1 1/2lb to 3lb. Maybe a Stone or so.

At slack when fishing with bait, hoping for a Ling or Cod, I got into a small Conger but it dropped the hook after I got it 30 or 40 feet up.

No bookings on Thursday and the winds look OK, so might go and have another try.

Go Grandad go

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:53 am 

Chris the Fish wrote:
grandad wrote:
What fish did you catch?

No, I have done some inshore fishing from Scarborough and Torquay but only a couple of times. I am not good out at sea if you know what I mean. I just wondered what sort of fish you catch in the channel.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:32 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
Before anyone says there is no F in COLD, let me assure you it was "Effin' Cold" 20 miles out to Sea!

Baltic, was it? :lol: :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:38 pm 

StuartW wrote:

Certainly was!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:51 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
StuartW wrote:

Certainly was!

Long way to go for a bit of sea angling :badgrin: :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:53 pm 

grandad wrote:
I just wondered what sort of fish you catch in the channel.

Pollack, Cod, Whiting, Ling, Coley, Conger Eel, Bass, LS Dogfish, GS Dogfish, Various Rays, Blue Shark, Porbeagle Shark, Smoothound, Black Bream, Red Bream, Gilthead Bream, Various Wrasse, Angler Fish, John Dory, Mackerel, Scad, Herring, Pouting, Haddock, Hake, Wreck Fish and probably some others I can't immediately bring to mind.

Targets are Pollack, Cod, Whiting, Ling, Coley, Conger Eel, Bass and Blue Shark generally, but all are targets in species hunt competitions.

We are getting Bluefin Tuna in the area for the last 4 or 5 years, it is illegal to target them but sometimes anglers catch them by accident! I intend getting a big game reel for Porbeagle shark but I don't ever hear of many being caught........

......but I will give it a try.

:oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:55 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Long way to go for a bit of sea angling :badgrin: :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:00 pm 

grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:
do you mean to say there were any fish left after the Dutch, French and Spanish were desperately trying to empty our waters ahead of brexit :shock:

Whole quota thing strikes me as a bit of a racket. I mean

- quotas bought and sold
- quotas rented out
- illegal fishing
- increasing reliance on cheap foreign labour
- licensed elsewhere to take advantage of lax regulation
- working cross-borders

Doesn't remind me of anything at all [-(

Brexit trade deal: Fishing industry needs Scotland to grasp opportunities not grievances – Brian Wilson

https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/c ... on-3082451

As night follows day, we have headlines about the “betrayal” of “Scottish fishermen”, generated by the industry’s barons and politicians who seek favour in their court.

Betrayal, con-trick, sold down the river… we’ve been hearing it for decades; inside and outside the EU, whoever was in government.

The audience for these rituals is never meant to notice (and generally doesn’t because it is a complex subject) that despite all of the above, our Scottish fishing barons become even richer and more powerful.

Five families effectively control nearly half of Scotland’s quotas. Before the law took an interest, it was reckoned more “black fish” were landed in Scotland than under EU quotas.

Taking advantage of opportunities

While the barons prospered mightily, it has been a different story in many of Scotland’s traditional fishing communities which were marginalised under the Common Fisheries Policy and survive largely on shellfish.

For them, increased quota is a far less significant issue than access to markets. The real damage to these Scottish fishermen and businesses would have been from “no deal” with the EU. Why would anyone, at this juncture, vote for that?

Whatever one thinks of Brexit, a fishing deal that gives increased quotas, a five-year transition to full control of UK waters and – critically – continuing access to EU markets is a betrayal of nothing. The question is whether Scotland will take advantage of these opportunities – not a word we hear much of.

The real con-trick is the pretence there is a single entity called “the Scottish fishing industry” rather than a series of regional industries which, historically and currently, have different and often conflicting interests. This is largely disguised by rhetoric from the most powerful.

This dichotomy is reflected in the Western Isles – where I live – which is why most fishermen here voted for Brexit. They saw an opportunity for decades of disadvantage to be reversed if lost rights could be restored.

The same applies in many parts of Scotland which associate the decline of local, non-intensive fishing industries with a more general economic malaise and lack of employment opportunities.

Reversing the spiral of decline

Hector Stewart, who co-owns Kallin Shellfish in Uist, has spent a lifetime in the industry, sees the deal as “not a big win, but a win” with five years to build capacity in order to take advantage of increased access – if it exists. But will it? That will not now depend on Brussels or London, but Edinburgh.

At present, local fishermen have no quota for the vast stocks of herring and mackerel west of the Hebrides which are fished by boats from the north-east of Scotland, Shetland and Ireland. The same goes for most species of white fish. The islands are spectators to the vast wealth taken from their own waters.

The spiral of decline has wiped out career prospects in the local fishing industry and contributed to out-migration by the young. What’s left is highly dependent on migrant labour. These deceptive words “the Scottish fishing industry” really do conceal a multitude of sins.

Last year, an Oban-registered boat hit rocks in Shetland. A quintessentially Scottish story? She was Spanish-owned and, when the Coastguards arrived, nobody on board spoke English. The Ullapool-registered boat which spent months within sight of our house destroying crab stocks, before moving on, is Chinese-owned and foreign-crewed. And so it goes on.

As Hector said: “Brexit can give us what we need in terms of access to a resource but we still need people. We need training and investment if we are going to seize the opportunity over the next five years. It can transform the islands economy but we need a plan.”

Indeed we do. What a great challenge for a minister who could see opportunity rather than grievance, challenge the power of vested Scottish interests and lead a revival of coastal communities, based on the new freedom to apportion resources.

Is there any chance of it happening? Almost certainly not.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:07 pm 

Anyone unfamiliar with the fishing quota stuff should have a read of this. One of the 'codfather' barons caught up in the illegal 'black fish' landings scam bought what was reputedly the most expensive house in Scotland [-(

Five wealthy families are 'UK Codfathers' owning nearly half of Scotland's offshore fishing rights

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scot ... s-13397619

Greenpeace today revealed how the families are reaping huge rewards exploiting a "mismanaged system".