Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 47237
Location: 1066 Country
There must be, daily, a dozen or so articles from various UK locations highlighting local taxi/PH firms offering free taxi/PH rides to vaccine sites.

Not sure this is wise, and I'm surprised the trade in those areas have all this money to burn, or more to the point money to not earn.

Or is it me?

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:27 pm
Posts: 18618
Sussex wrote:
There must be, daily, a dozen or so articles from various UK locations highlighting local taxi/PH firms offering free taxi/PH rides to vaccine sites.

Not sure this is wise, and I'm surprised the trade in those areas have all this money to burn, or more to the point money to not earn.

Or is it me?

ADT in Loughborough and Leicester are offering this. I have not read any of the terms and conditions.

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 5:33 am
Posts: 7089
Yes, seems to be a rash of these from all over the country. Seems to be targetted mainly at the elderly, so can't see it being extended to all and sundry once the vaccinations are more widely available.

Of course, suspect it's largely a marketing thing. Will cost the firms (or drivers) a bit of cash, but suspect they think that it'll mainly be short trips, and cars wouldn't be doing anything much anyway, therefore...

Here's a slight variation on the theme, although no word of freebies here - in fact given the level of service they're offering I suspect this will only appeal to the better off.

But for 'diversifying from airport transfers' probably more realistic to say that work has totally dried up so they're having to target another market. Anyway...


Wellingborough private hire cab staff trained and ready to help passengers with medical needs

https://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/ne ... ds-3094423

Image
Image: Northants Telegraph

The drivers have been trained to help those with autism, dementia and others who need extra assistance

A Wellingborough private hire firm has used time freed up by lockdown to train drivers to start an assisted travel service for passengers with additional care needs.

Simply Cabs has diversified from airport transfers to provide bespoke transport for people needing a closer level of care than some taxi firms may be able or willing to provide.

Many businesses including taxi and private hire companies have been suffering from the economic effects of the Covid-19 pandemic over the past year.

One Northants private hire firm has put its free time to good use by enrolling their drivers through online First Aid courses and Passenger Assistant Training Schemes to enable the business to offer a new ‘Assisted Travel’ service to the county.

Nick Finn, co-director said: "I want to care for people, to look after people. I want to put a smile on the clients and customers faces and I want to put a smile on the drivers' faces.

"I saw that there was a gap in the market."

Simply Cabs, based in Booth Drive on the Park Farm Industrial Estate, will be working closely with local authority, care homes, hospitals and charities to offer a door-to-door service to the elderly or anyone who may have mobility issues.

Mr Finn said: "Trained drivers will safely assist passengers from their front door right to the waiting area of your appointment and even get them checked in.

"Once the appointment is over, they will collect passengers from the waiting area and take them home. If needed, they will also supply trained passenger assistants that can stay as travel companions throughout the whole day.

"Many older people who do not drive or are not in a position to travel alone using public transport must rely on family and friends to provide transportation.

"In other cases, there is huge pressure on care homes, social workers and families who have not always got the time or resources to take time away from work to get to appointments."

To increase the scope of support they can provide, further training is already planned in this year for their drivers, including in mental health awareness, autism, cancer support and dementia awareness.

Driver Sarah Mae said: "As a driver there is no better feeling knowing you are helping people in the local community. It’s so rewarding for us drivers.

"We already carried out a lot of care work so it was a natural progression to take on the extra training to offer a complete door-to-door service for the elderly."

The company is now hoping to set up its own training scheme for drivers.

Mr Finn added: "We love the work we do. It is a lot more fulfilling and the drivers who come to us because of the work we do. We want to build and establish relationships."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 5:33 am
Posts: 7089
Anyone who thinks similarly to me will immediately notice that the Merc's numberplate has been misspaced - the gap in the middle has been closed, and there's a gap between the J and L which shouldn't be there :roll:

Anyone work out what the driver's name is without looking at the photo caption on the newspaper's website? To be fair, it's a reasonable approximation to his name, unlike some I've seen :idea:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:06 pm
Posts: 22737
Location: A City near Birmingham
StuartW wrote:
Anyone who thinks similarly to me will immediately notice that the Merc's numberplate has been misspaced - the gap in the middle has been closed, and there's a gap between the J and L which shouldn't be there :roll:

Anyone work out what the driver's name is without looking at the photo caption on the newspaper's website? To be fair, it's a reasonable approximation to his name, unlike some I've seen :idea:



we had an driver put 11 close together and put a black screw cover between them to create a H making a "JEHAAD", licensing said its a police matter (legality of plate) so passed it on to the cops, driver must have had a visit cos the plate was replaced


(cant recall correct plate)

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:56 pm
Posts: 2162
wannabeeahack wrote:
StuartW wrote:
Anyone who thinks similarly to me will immediately notice that the Merc's numberplate has been misspaced - the gap in the middle has been closed, and there's a gap between the J and L which shouldn't be there :roll:

Anyone work out what the driver's name is without looking at the photo caption on the newspaper's website? To be fair, it's a reasonable approximation to his name, unlike some I've seen :idea:



we had an driver put 11 close together and put a black screw cover between them to create a H making a "JEHAAD", licensing said its a police matter (legality of plate) so passed it on to the cops, driver must have had a visit cos the plate was replaced


(cant recall correct plate)



Incorrect letters, numbers or spacing on reg. plates is an immediate MOT failure, and it is a matter for licencing to deal with.
Every MOT station has on public view the LAW as it is applicable to reg. plates. Councils subcontracting or allowing others to carry out MOTs cannot claim they are not responsible for the failure of the correct reg. plates on a vehicle.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 47237
Location: 1066 Country
See that Uber have joined the 'free trip to a vaccine' (up to £15) brigade. :sad:

https://www.intelligenttransport.com/tr ... ree-rides/

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:06 pm
Posts: 22737
Location: A City near Birmingham
Quote:
Where routes are stood down, we reserve the right to request that the vehicle and staff are made available to cover another route of similar (or less) mileage should we require it or alternatively to provide journeys of an equivalent value to help us support vulnerable members of the community e.g. taking people to/from covid vaccination appointments who can’t make their own way.

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:07 pm
Posts: 2596
Location: Hampshire (HC)
https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/190213 ... 0YxWtF7t9M


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:45 pm
Posts: 433
Location: Warrington Cheshire
I had someone at a Bolton company wanting to buy my car just for it’s plate but for the life of me I couldn’t see how it could be made to read anything until someone pointed out that in another language it was the drivers wife’s name.

As for free vaccination rides for oap’s, you never know, it could even be a case of genuinely trying to help the community.

Bill :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:06 pm
Posts: 22737
Location: A City near Birmingham
bill_datamaster wrote:

As for free vaccination rides for oap’s, you never know, it could even be a case of genuinely trying to help the community.

Bill :)


well my car runs on fuel, and the community dont ring when it isnt free...

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group