Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:04 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
This morning got a call from a customer (probably first in over 2 years she doesn't use many taxis these days) She was at A & E at Peterborough hospital and had been booted out (her words)

as it happens nothing much in so nipped out there to pick her up

She had phoned for an ambulance to go in due to her being in extreme pain but the ambulance service sent a taxi for her instead of an ambulance as she was assessed as non urgent.

BUT the taxi sent was from the Nottingham area so had apparently a 2 and half hour journey to pick her up (so the driver claimed) but he was promised additional pick ups in the Peterborough area once he was clear

I wonder if they are using cabfind because this is their trick dragging cars long distance to bump up the price and more to the point shouldn't they be using taxis nearby to reduce the waiting time ?

I dread to think what the ambulance service will be billed for that

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:34 pm 

It is down to the service having authorised providers, they cant just ring any local firm, if you want the work contact them

I was with North Wales (lived there) for 3 years and Warwickshire (when we moved back) for 2 years, they only paid their set rates not meter

one of the biggest ambulance contractors is E-zec

https://e-zec.co.uk/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:10 pm 

We do ‘urgent care’ as opposed to ‘emergency’ work for our local ambulance service. Occasionally it does mean travelling 20 miles or so out of town to take a patient to their local hospital, sometimes only a couple of miles away from where they are. We get paid from our base area. They used to use a local firm but they were so unreliable that they had to stop using them and use us instead.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:18 am 

I had a school run 30 miles from A to B 1 kid but another kid on the route only 5 minutes from the school/drop, if he was the only 1 going on any day i still had to do it...

when i had vans for courier work i once sent 3 LWB vans empty from up here to Thames gateway British Bakeries to collect goods to deliver into the Wembley area and drive back empty, simply because I was an authorised contractor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:39 pm 

Quote:
She had phoned for an ambulance to go in due to her being in extreme pain but the ambulance service sent a taxi for her instead of an ambulance as she was assessed as non urgent.

Makes perfect sense. =D>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:42 pm 

Quote:

Think it's several hundreds a time to send a fully loaded ambulance out, so it's always cheaper in a cab, even if that cab has to run miles.

The private transport ambulances charge about £250 an hour plus VAT, which is why ambulance services throughout the country use the taxi/PH trade.

Hospital transport work bailed a lot of drivers out during this pandemic.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:17 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

Think it's several hundreds a time to send a fully loaded ambulance out, so it's always cheaper in a cab, even if that cab has to run miles.

The private transport ambulances charge about £250 an hour plus VAT, which is why ambulance services throughout the country use the taxi/PH trade.

Hospital transport work bailed a lot of drivers out during this pandemic.

it wont be a frontline 999 ambulance, it will be a PTS (Patient Transport Service) car, their own "taxi" service used mainly for outpatients