Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:51 am 

This is a tremendous site and a wealth of information can be gotten..........sometimes!!

I am thinking :idea: could we have a designated section (spilt into various subsections)(A general knowledge section) whereby we could all swap information about each others manors that would be useful when talking to our various L.As.

Ours for example when it suits, will use Birmingham,London,Hartlepool whoever, as an example to further their case/argument against us quoting numbers and tariffs and pretty much anything else, as I say, to suit. It would be very handy to be able to fight them on an even surface with facts and figures of our own.

The section to cover the following + anything that I have missed or anyone else thinks should be in.

1) Taxi + P.hire numbers within a given borough + the total population being served.

2) The make up of the numbers i.e out of say hackneys the total might be say 500 cars/cabs!! but it may very well be that 400 of those are people carriers allowing say seven passengers, thus the seating capacity is 400 x 7 = 2800 P.Cs seats + 100 cars x 4 = 400. The seating in total 3200 and not the obvious thought of 500x 4 = 2000...........a difference of 1200 seating capacity!!! because that is what has been happening since deregulation has come in.............a double pronged attack on the trade/drivers.

3) Tariff in total i.e daytime and all flag increases inclusive of night-time.

4) Council license fees, i.e plating license, badge,

5) Insurance section covering a drivers car/cab i.e giving out details such as.....cost,years no claims, car/cab and age etc etc.

6) Age of cabs/cars allowed.

7) Deregulation or Not.

Plus a million other things that I have not listed.

There are many on here with far more knowledge than myself and I would be grateful for their input as I believe that the taxi/P.hire trade is long over due in getting itself organised, and to a degree we can help ourselves.

Perhaps I am asking too much, but if we do not help ourselves and each other we will get steamrollered at every given opportunity.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:01 pm 

What you're really asking is can admin sort relevant info into easy to find pages :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:19 pm 

toots wrote:
What you're really asking is can admin sort relevant info into easy to find pages :wink:

In many respects yes.

We should between us all manage to get together an encyclopedia of the taxi world. To my way of thinking we would have instant references to other parts of the country of which could be used to argue against silly comparisons that the L.As tend to use,to suit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:59 pm 

I think what you are asking for is a database of stats, which is ok once done (although will take someone forever to do), but will need regular updating. In business talk that's pretty labour intensive.

If I wanted to know stats about any particular manor(s) I would ask on here first, and if unsuccessful contact the councils direct (if the info isn't on their sites).

We could have subsections on any section, but will members put the right stuff in the right place, and will that stuff be as accurate as we would like.

Still I'm open to ideas.

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:08 am 

Alex wrote:
I think what you are asking for is a database of stats, which is ok once done (although will take someone forever to do), but will need regular updating. In business talk that's pretty labour intensive.

If I wanted to know stats about any particular manor(s) I would ask on here first, and if unsuccessful contact the councils direct (if the info isn't on their sites).

We could have subsections on any section, but will members put the right stuff in the right place, and will that stuff be as accurate as we would like.

Still I'm open to ideas.

Alex

Alex I think you are right! It would take a lot of updating and who is to say if it is accurate. I guess that the old way of policing is correct, and that is the hard way.........foot slogging.

Signed

Yours living in cuckoo land.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:08 pm 

If they can get BDM up and running successfully with volunteers help then I'm sure it can be done for taxi related things. You just need the volunteers now :wink: