Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Omni threads
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:17 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
what do people feel about having sticky threads which contain all stories on regularly occurring subjects such as points scams,assistance dog refusals, drivers getting assaulted and drivers getting caught PFH.

All related stories could be attached and it would serve to highlight the prevalence of such matters within the trade?

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

Post subject: Re: Omni threads
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:01 am 

In principal a good idea. I do think Drivers being Assaulted should be be kept individual, this is too pertinent and too important to One Driver, though a page in addition that keeps a tally would be good.

Just maybe Police and Crime Commissioners could be pointed to the envisioned Assaults Thread and they "Could" move it up the Agenda for the Forces on the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:59 pm 

Personally I've never liked 'stickies' much.

The reason we have some at the mo is because of the current situation.

I think the idea of an 'assisted dog' and 'perverting the course of justice' sticky isn't such a bad one, as those do catch out many and it might help publicise the penalties for committing those offences.

Which often mean drivers losing their license and even their liberty.

Maybe when someone gets a mo they can collate the last few months and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:04 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Please could we have one to group all the uber local stories together they seem to be popping up a lot now

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:18 pm 

No

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:59 am 

In another thread, Edders wrote:
...my thoughts on omni threads are for things like guide dog refusals , "uber local" , DVLA swoops etc where all together enables much easier comparisons and also a much easier to grasp idea of the scale of such problems

As I said in the other thread, that's a good idea on one level, but on another level rather than omni-thread they might turn into a bit of an omni-shambles :badgrin:

And some of the threads are shambolic enough as it is, which is why it's a good thing the threads rarely get too long, so are self-contained and manageable, with the Oxford-Abingdon sexual assault case being a good example, as it's spread over several years, yet it's all in one place.

Another thing is that while it might have been more of a good idea if omni threads had been done from day 1, obviously that's not the case, so to a degree it's not a good idea to start arranging things differently now. And it's not really feasible to go back a few years and rearrange things, and although that's maybe feasible for the last few weeks, that begs the question, if it's just the last few weeks then what's the point?

Although it's academic now, if I was to start a similar site today then it would be a good idea to use software that supports tags, so although the stories would be arranged pretty much as they are on here, you could tag each thread with categories like 'Assistance dogs', 'Sexual assaults', 'Driver robberies', 'WAVs', etc etc.

Then if necessary you could click on the category and every article tagged 'Driver robberies' (say) would appear in a single thread. So essentially that would retain the current system and have omni-threads at the same time.

But, again, that ship sailed long ago...

Polite request: In a similar vein, could those starting threads, particularly in the news section, provide some unique or distinguishing information in the thread title that enables threads to be found easily at a later date.

For example, 'Police issue appeal after driver robbed', or 'Taxi drivers to be sent on safeguarding course', are a bit, er, generic, and difficult to distinguish from similar threads at a later date.

Most obviously, I almost always include some indication of the geographical location in the thread title, generally either the town/city/county or licensing authority, although which is most appropriate will depend on the particular case.

For example, a tariff proposal might be best described in terms of the particular licensing council, whereas a robbery in Birmingham might be better just to use Birmingham (or Brum if space is an issue). On the other hand, it's good to be as specific as possible about a location (Salford or Bolton rather than Greater Manchester, say), while it shouldn't be so obscure that no one's likely to have heard of it, such as a small village somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:50 pm 

I do miss Charlie Boy’s descriptive thread headers, where we are presented with such gems as ‘If’ and ‘Can’.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:52 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I do miss Charlie Boy’s descriptive thread headers, where we are presented with such gems as ‘If’ and ‘Can’.

I find Wannabes can often be in a similar style......

....just longer words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:42 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
Sussex wrote:

I find Wannabes can often be in a similar style......

....just longer words.

Seems to be increasingly fashionable.

Maybe the intention is to make thread titles completely pointless in terms of a description, thus encouraging people to read the thread.

Personally, I've stopped reading them. In fact, maybe *that's* the intention =D> :badgrin: