Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:01 am 

Are you happy with the trade reps who have been invited to this meeting to offer your views?

Have you been asked what your views are?

Law Commission Advisory Meeting 22nd November 2011

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:19 am 

Does seem a little London centric to me. [-X

And there does seem an awful lot of pen pushers there.

Including, I might add, reps from the trade.

So I ask the question, at that meeting is there one full time taxi or private hire driver present? :-k

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:23 am 

Sussex wrote:
Does seem a little London centric to me. [-X

And there does seem an awful lot of pen pushers there.

Including, I might add, reps from the trade.

So I ask the question, at that meeting is there one full time taxi or private hire driver present? :-k

They wouldnt give me a seat :shock:

But I do know the expression 'stitch up', as in the DFT & Law Commission are 'stitching up' the taxi and private hire trades.

CC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:11 pm 

captain cab wrote:
But I do know the expression 'stitch up', as in the DFT & Law Commission are 'stitching up' the taxi and private hire trades.

CC

The mere fact that at the meeting there will be more full-time taxi builders than full-time taxi drivers says all that needs to be said.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:25 pm 

Two of the Hackney unions represented look suspect. Unite rep Tommy Mac is the pratt who started the Law Commission ball rolling. GMB rep Mick Hildreth is a Brighton PH man desperate for Bus lane access. God help the Hackney trade.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:26 pm 

tom2907 wrote:
Two of the Hackney unions represented look suspect. Unite rep Tommy Mac is the pratt who started the Law Commission ball rolling.

I wonder how long it'll be till he has to stand aside for one of London Branch?

CC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:17 pm 

tom2907 wrote:
Two of the Hackney unions represented look suspect. Unite rep Tommy Mac is the pratt who started the Law Commission ball rolling. GMB rep Mick Hildreth is a Brighton PH man desperate for Bus lane access. God help the Hackney trade.

You make a good point in relation to the T&G, but not in relation to the GMB.

Having read the GMB's submission to the Transport Select committee I would say the GMB, and it's authour ( :roll: :roll: :roll: ), made a good case on behalf of the trade. And gave the best, taxi trade, evidence to the committee.

Let's hope they carry on doing as good a job with the new authour. [-o<

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:19 pm 

captain cab wrote:
I wonder how long it'll be till he has to stand aside for one of London Branch?

I'm reliably informed that the Train Union and the NTTG are also now attending the meeting. As long as the NTTG chaps don't ask for the Manchester Airport lads to fund the travel.

Might even be a full-time driver amongst them. Image

That will make 31 attendees for a 3-hour meeting. ](*,)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:28 pm 

Sussex wrote:

I wouldn't put money on it.....maybe a train driver and a geriatric.

CC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:29 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Really looking good isn't it? :sad:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:37 pm 

Sussex wrote:

No it isn't.....but we can partially thank Unite the Union for all of this mess.

I understand they are now against councils fining drivers......strange in a meeting in september they suggested it.......weird how a taxi trade journalist with a strong opinion that the idea was stupid....can change a union policy :lol:

CC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:45 pm 

captain cab wrote:
No it isn't.....but we can partially thank Unite the Union for all of this mess.

I understand they are now against councils fining drivers......strange in a meeting in September they suggested it.......weird how a taxi trade journalist with a strong opinion that the idea was stupid....can change a union policy :lol:

I remember well in the long distant past, couple of year ago I think, I was in a room full of people representing all parts of the trade, and everyone bar me and the mush sitting next to me supported fixed penalty tickets. [-(

I would name them all, but it might be easier for me just to refer TDO folks to the list of trade representatives at the meeting next week. :sad:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:08 am 
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Sussex wrote:

For who?

If you are glum, then I should be leaping from the light fittings.

Maybe there is some folks on this committee who know a bit about how to best not ruin something that only really needs a tweak here and there.

To respond to your last post also, if PH did as it was supposed to there would be no need for a fine's system would there?

Reform PH

Meters in all cars
Council sets the rates
All new drivers issued with guidelines of their legal duty and what not to do, i.e not use bus lanes unless authorised to do so
Dark shade paintwork in areas where Hacks are light shaded....sure you can understand that one :wink:
No more than 10 licences to be issued to any one individual.....this will need tweaking as there are those that will try to bend the rules.
Reduce company radio fees to sensible levels £135pw is not a sensible level, so set a max radio fee across the country or make it 20p per job for them.

Can't really think of anymore right now as I think that about covers what is required to turn them into 1 - a respectable outfit and 2 - give their drivers a chance to drive legally to earn a living rather than an F1 appreticeship.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:35 am 

Doom wrote:

For who?

If you are glum, then I should be leaping from the light fittings.

Maybe there is some folks on this committee who know a bit about how to best not ruin something that only really needs a tweak here and there.

To respond to your last post also, if PH did as it was supposed to there would be no need for a fine's system would there?

Reform PH

Meters in all cars
Council sets the rates
All new drivers issued with guidelines of their legal duty and what not to do, i.e not use bus lanes unless authorised to do so
Dark shade paintwork in areas where Hacks are light shaded....sure you can understand that one :wink:
No more than 10 licences to be issued to any one individual.....this will need tweaking as there are those that will try to bend the rules.
Reduce company radio fees to sensible levels £135pw is not a sensible level, so set a max radio fee across the country or make it 20p per job for them.

Can't really think of anymore right now as I think that about covers what is required to turn them into 1 - a respectable outfit and 2 - give their drivers a chance to drive legally to earn a living rather than an F1 appreticeship.

I suggest you read the report.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:37 am 

Doom wrote:

About as likely as Doom supporting derestriction of taxi numbers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next