Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Law Com....Sunderland
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:06 pm 

I had the pleasure of being invited to a meeting with the Law Commission in Sunderland today.

Getting away from conspiracy theories......or maybe not, it does appear to me that the LC are perhaps not as bad as you (well me mainly) appear to have painted them.

It is reasonable to suggest they are sadly working to a remit they have been given.

In cab driving terms this is a little like being paid money up front for a job on the express instructions you go by the passengers preferred route......even though you know a quicker route....you must follow the instructions of the customer.

In film terms its a little like 'Silence of the Lambs', we all know Hannibal Lecter is a bad guy who will kill you and cook your body parts if he has the chance, but you warm to him as the film goes on, even though he's a derwanged maniac.

Painting the LC as a body who want to destroy the taxi trade is perhaps a little unfair, as it seems they are a body being paid to destroy the cab trade.......destruction, but destruction with a paymaster......i.e. the government and specifically the DFT.

There are avenues the taxi trade can take, the LC claim they are open to sound rationale.....whilst i would dispute this in respect of their statements in respect of their consultation documents, I would suggest the taxi trade, in less than one month, needs to get their thinking caps on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:15 pm 

captain cab wrote:
It is reasonable to suggest they are sadly working to a remit they have been given.

Indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:17 pm 

captain cab wrote:
I would suggest the taxi trade, in less than one month, needs to get their thinking caps on.

Chances of that happening? :?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:51 pm 

Capt your easily seduced when its a lady doing the talking :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:12 pm 

blackpool wrote:
Capt your easily seduced when its a lady doing the talking :wink:

lol.....the lady didnt do the speaking, and I'll think you'll find I've been the most vocal of critics, although I do have a soft spot for the lady cab owner I met in Blackpool, she did actually make me think who I was fighting for.....thats the first time that happened in 10 years.

What I am saying.....it is no use carrying on about the unfairness, or the remit the LC have been given......its about finding solutions and answers with evidence (in much the same way as I have been trying to do for 12 months), and bringing the DfT to account for their stance in this issue.........it wasnt a coalition policy to deregulate the cab trade.....so we need to know why and by whom its being pursued.

The LC position seems to be one of coming into this with a specific aim.....because the piper played that tune, I am not convinced its a postion they are totally comfortable with.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:13 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
I would suggest the taxi trade, in less than one month, needs to get their thinking caps on.

Chances of that happening? :?

A good chance.....if they send a cheque my way :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:28 pm 

How much ?? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:29 pm 
Well one thing that will put a pin in it is the lack of information to the average Joe in the job, they offered the chance for a say, which is fine if you know of that chance, not many do know of it so it's by law no way a consultation is it, it's basically a back door and a back door will get kicked in in a European Court if someone has their boots on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:35 pm 

Thats the major sticking point, but if you invite them theres a good chance theyll come .At least it gets more drivers knowing the score .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:50 pm 

blackpool wrote:
How much ?? :wink:

It depends if you want pics :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:58 pm 

captain cab wrote:
A good chance.....if they send a cheque my way :wink:

The cab trade never spend money wisely on things they should.

But boy do they pi** it up on stuff they shouldn't. :sad:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:01 pm 

Doom wrote:
Well one thing that will put a pin in it is the lack of information to the average Joe in the job, they offered the chance for a say, which is fine if you know of that chance, not many do know of it so it's by law no way a consultation is it, it's basically a back door and a back door will get kicked in in a European Court if someone has their boots on.

Is this in the same way the public has no chance on submitting to any other consultation?

Whilst I'll willingly slag off the LC for everything else, I wont slag them off for the taxi and PH trades ignorance......I've been writing about the LC and Select Committee for the better part of 20 months........other magazines and trade papers have been doing the same (although admittedly a lot more [edited by admin] than me)......councils have had meetings on both issues.

I have little time for those in the trade who say they werent aware, in actual fact, if they were that interested they'd be aware and actually bother, another actual fact.....if they took an interest then maybe the cab trade wouldnt be in the sh*te it currently finds itself.......I have no sympathy whatsoever...........those with little interest allowed the rise of hitler ffs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:01 pm 

Sussex wrote:
The cab trade never spend money wisely on things they should.

But boy do they pi** it up on stuff they shouldn't. :sad:

=D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:02 pm 

Doom wrote:

I got home today to a letter from our licencing dept. which, among other things, stated 'The current legislation relating to hackney carriage vehicles dates back to 1847 and for private hire vehicles to 1976. The law is complex, in many respects antiquated and contains many anomalies. The Law Commission is undertaking a thorough review of the legislation with a view to publishing a draft bill for the Government to consider. A consultation document has been published and the Law Commission welcome your views. You can view the document and provide your comments at http://lawcommission.justice.gov.uk/con ... /1804.htm'.

I guess we can't say we weren't told, although to me it's a little late for the trade to get themselves together if we weren't already aware of it. Not that it makes much difference as most think somebody else will do it for them :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:09 pm 

Quote:
I got home today to a letter from our licencing dept. which, among other things, stated 'The current legislation relating to hackney carriage vehicles dates back to 1847 and for private hire vehicles to 1976. The law is complex, in many respects antiquated and contains many anomalies. The Law Commission is undertaking a thorough review of the legislation with a view to publishing a draft bill for the Government to consider. A consultation document has been published and the Law Commission welcome your views. You can view the document and provide your comments at http://lawcommission.justice.gov.uk/con ... /1804.htm'.

I guess we can't say we weren't told, although to me it's a little late for the trade to get themselves together if we weren't already aware of it. Not that it makes much difference as most think somebody else will do it for them

So its the job of the local council to advise taxi drivers about whats going on?

ffs

Little wonder the trade is in the mess it is.