Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Licence Test
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:01 pm 
Ok, I'm going to add to this bit by bit but I was thinking what should be a national standard for getting your badge in future,

I think these should be essential,

Applicant sits the test in the licencing office, no more online applications

Applicant must have postal area knowledge, I think it's OTT to insist they know where some back road is that has 3 houses in it or the name of some flats that are an old pub conversion etc, so it would be essential for the applicant to know where (I'm going to use Manchester as an example) Trafford is in relation to Saltash etc, all Hospitals, Police Stations and major things like The Arndale, City of Manc Stadium etc etc, we all had to learn at some stage,

Applicant should be judged on appearance, if they arrive unwashed and unkempt possibly smelling I think this is grounds to send away and offer the chance to return when personal remedial work has been carried out,

Applicant should sit a mini driving test with a dedicated LO, this should sort out if general road knowledge and ability is up to scratch, I would say add £15 to the application fees and this will cover the extra expense of the LO, applicant provides the car, test should be 30 minutes in duration and be aimed at seeing how the driver deals with pedestrians and cyclists as well as proving they can find two reasonable destinations in a hired scenario,

Applicant should have no more than 6 points on their licence for minor things, DD,CD,UC&A should only be considered 2 years after they are spent,

Applicant guilty of crimes against people should never be considered, this is sex crimes, drug dealing, money laundering, human trafficking,

Applicant should once passed be a probie for one year,

Applicant should be issued with a set of guidlines as to their task, so a PHD would be asked to read and sign a contract to say they will abide by the conditions of licence fully or face a hefty fine if found guilty of breaking those conditions, guidlines on etiquette and general practice for Hacks,

Well there you have it, it will obviously have some pitfalls so pick it through and see if you can add or modify it.

Post subject: Re: Licence Test
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:57 pm 

Doom wrote:
Ok, I'm going to add to this bit by bit but I was thinking what should be a national standard for getting your badge in future,

I think these should be essential,

Applicant sits the test in the licencing office, no more online applications

Applicant must have postal area knowledge, I think it's OTT to insist they know where some back road is that has 3 houses in it or the name of some flats that are an old pub conversion etc, so it would be essential for the applicant to know where (I'm going to use Manchester as an example) Trafford is in relation to Saltash etc, all Hospitals, Police Stations and major things like The Arndale, City of Manc Stadium etc etc, we all had to learn at some stage,

Applicant should be judged on appearance, if they arrive unwashed and unkempt possibly smelling I think this is grounds to send away and offer the chance to return when personal remedial work has been carried out,

Applicant should sit a mini driving test with a dedicated LO, this should sort out if general road knowledge and ability is up to scratch, I would say add £15 to the application fees and this will cover the extra expense of the LO, applicant provides the car, test should be 30 minutes in duration and be aimed at seeing how the driver deals with pedestrians and cyclists as well as proving they can find two reasonable destinations in a hired scenario,

Applicant should have no more than 6 points on their licence for minor things, DD,CD,UC&A should only be considered 2 years after they are spent,

Applicant guilty of crimes against people should never be considered, this is sex crimes, drug dealing, money laundering, human trafficking,

Applicant should once passed be a probie for one year,

Applicant should be issued with a set of guidlines as to their task, so a PHD would be asked to read and sign a contract to say they will abide by the conditions of licence fully or face a hefty fine if found guilty of breaking those conditions, guidlines on etiquette and general practice for Hacks,

Well there you have it, it will obviously have some pitfalls so pick it through and see if you can add or modify it.

You've missed the very first thing before all of the above.

No 1 - A BRAND NEW DVLA CLASSIFICATION [SAY T1] ON A DVLA LICENCE FOR TAXI AND PRIVATE HIRE DRIVERS, WHICH ALL DRIVERS MUST PASS BEFORE THEY ARE LICENSED BY THEIR LICENSING AUTHORIY!!

And yes, I'm shouting!

That achieves equal standards for all, including drivers from Mongolia, Poland and Kazakuzbekkyrgistan!!

It also achieves disqualification in ALL LAs throughout the country when a driver's licence is revoked in any particular LA, because the T1 disappears from his DVLA licence and without that the driver cannot obtain a taxi or private hire licence.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:26 pm 
Very good Brum, add that to it =D>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:26 pm 

Speak English fluently? A local LA requires an English language test but its done over the phone FFS!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:57 pm 

www.versanttest.co.uk