Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:17 pm 

grandad wrote:
I think your concerns are disproportionate.
Who checks if drivers are actually licensed when they are working miles from away now? in fact who even checks them if you are out of your own town centre now?
My spouse can already drive our cars because she is licensed.
Does all licensing have to be about what is in the public interest? Can't it also be about the efficient running of the licensing department and the efficient use of resources? Why shouldn't I be able to help out a regular customer who happens to need a car in another town by booking it for them and putting the cost on their account with me?

I didn't say public interest - I said safety

I think you would already help out your customer - and of course you would legally do this if you called a taxi :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:46 pm 

Yes you did.
captain cab wrote:
i don't think theyre in the interests of the public,

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:51 pm 

grandad wrote:
Yes you did.
captain cab wrote:
i don't think theyre in the interests of the public,

I meant public safety - I was using my bl**dy phone for that reply :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:01 pm 

captain cab wrote:
my concerns are about safety :wink:

You big scardy cat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:03 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Depends where you hire them - some licensing regimes (and this will be repeated below) allow taxis to operate as PH many miles away from there area of license - it is fair to suggest these hackneys are never subject to council spot checks and they may never see their area of license - they may even send their MOT to the ir licensing department by post.

I understand that, but the Dereg Act doesn't make that any better or any worse.

For PH we can work anywhere anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:05 pm 

captain cab wrote:
The London Act has always allowed non licensed drivers to drive PH - but there has been an increase - a 14% increase between 2008 and 2010.

I understand that as well, but I suspect that very little of that increase, if any of it, is via unlicensed drivers in licensed vehicles.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:08 pm 

captain cab wrote:
I don't think the problem is with the London PH trade - its with the provincial PH trade who have sourced HC's from the likes of Rossendale and Gedling and Berwick - the issue is likely to get worse because the conditions of license towards PH are invariably lower than HC.

I beg to differ.

At the moment no record needs to be kept for radio work dispatched to hackneys, whereas a record must be kept for PH bookings.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:43 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Depends where you hire them - some licensing regimes (and this will be repeated below) allow taxis to operate as PH many miles away from there area of license - it is fair to suggest these hackneys are never subject to council spot checks and they may never see their area of license - they may even send their MOT to the ir licensing department by post.

Yes but there is one central point for contact, ie. the operator in your licensed area, this would not be the case if nobody knows what area you are working from

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:56 am 

toots wrote:
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

Yes but there is one central point for contact, ie. the operator in your licensed area, this would not be the case if nobody knows what area you are working from

The paper trail, or computer records for the job would still exist. The operator sub contracting the job would have to have a record of the booking and the operator who the job is sub contracted to would also have to have a record of the job, including which driver did the job. That is the law. Are you saying that private hire operators don't keep records now? Or are you saying that at the moment they keep records but as soon as the deregulation bill is passed, they won't keep records?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:03 am 

For smaller operators such as myself who often take bookings by mobile phone on the road, it is difficult to keep paper records of anything, so such things are rather academic. Everyone who discusses this matter only ever sees it in the context of the radio circuits, nobody ever sees the small operator's perspective, a point which I made rather loudly at the LC seminar I attended.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:44 am 

roythebus wrote:
For smaller operators such as myself who often take bookings by mobile phone on the road, it is difficult to keep paper records of anything, so such things are rather academic. Everyone who discusses this matter only ever sees it in the context of the radio circuits, nobody ever sees the small operator's perspective, a point which I made rather loudly at the LC seminar I attended.

Don't your council check your private hire booking records? This is one thing that our council do actually check.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:45 am 

grandad wrote:
Don't your council check your private hire booking records? This is one thing that our council do actually check.

never had any of my records checked in the 20 years I was involved in a taxi / PH business by the council

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:50 am 

captain cab wrote:
grandad wrote:

never had any of my records checked in the 20 years I was involved in a taxi / PH business by the council

But did you keep the records just in case?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:53 am 

grandad wrote:
captain cab wrote:
grandad wrote:

books and books of the f*cking things :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:54 am 

captain cab wrote:
grandad wrote:

books and books of the f*cking things :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: