Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:43 am 

BigEdd wrote:
Quote:
as the regulatory regime virtually exempts PH from carrying them. Thus, an unfair disadvantage.

This May Be the case in some areas but our L.A. insists that any business with more than 4 PH vehicles must have 1 WAV in each 4, are you saying this is unenforceable in law :?:

I believe that quite a few councils have looked at going down this route. Some are brave enough to do it, like yours. However some are not, like mine.

Is it legal? I think it's 50/50, alas only the courts with there big fat bills (if you lose), will decide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:28 pm 

Sussex Man wrote:
That's a valid point. If councils wish to have an opt out, they have to prove that there would be drastic fall in the number of HCs. In a restricted area, that ain't going to happen. :wink:

So is the opt-out procedure still the same then Andy?

I assume that it may be different, because the basic ethos originally envisaged (ie 100% WAV HCs everywhere) has clearly been changed fundamentally.

Indeed the DfT clearly gone through what is effectively an opt-out procedure already by weeding out these LAs that aren't in the first phase.

Funny as well that the statement didn't mention opt-outs.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:45 pm 

Sussex Man wrote:
Wharfie wrote:
well its the secretary of state that does exemptions not daptac, but authorities first have to prove steps taken like swivel seats and opening up the market,

Wharfie

That's a valid point. If councils wish to have an opt out, they have to prove that there would be drastic fall in the number of HCs. In a restricted area, that ain't going to happen. :wink:

This whole test is a bit of a nonsense.

If you've got two identical towns, town A with PBs and town B with saloons, then currently you'll have a large PH sector in the town A, but a small one in town B.

Thus with the DDA implemented in the town A the numbers would status quo would prevail, but in town B there would be a significant move to PH.

Thus in terms of the opt-out, town B might get an opt-out because of the reduction in the number of HCs in the area.

But the two towns are identical, but the test has resulted in fundamentally different outcomes.

The point is that in areas with PBs already then the 'unacceptable reduction' has already happened.

So anywhere that currently has PBs has effectively suffered an 'unacceptable reduction' in the number of HCs!!

I'd be interested to what 'unacceptable' means as well, this could be anything.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:06 am 
Dusty Bin wrote:
Sussex Man wrote:

I assume that it may be different, because the basic ethos originally envisaged (ie 100% WAV HCs everywhere) has clearly been changed fundamentally.

Indeed the DfT clearly gone through what is effectively an opt-out procedure already by weeding out these LAs that aren't in the first phase.

Dusty

no they havnt dusty, there are rural areas tucked into that lot including mine.

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:57 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:

Dusty

Well I'm not so sure now.

I think Phase 1 was most probably rushed out pre OFT, so they may have forgot about it, or they may just have decided that the opt out is no-more.

To be honest, I'm not really sure. :? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:42 pm 

Wharfie wrote:

Wharfie

Haven't what Wharfy, weeded out??

Which of the three criteria does yours come under then??

The population one is very arbitrary - presumably there are plenty of rural-ish areas with a population over 120,000, but fairly large urban areas under 120,000 that are not in the first phase.

I think we mentioned that with regard to our mate from Herts further up the thread.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:18 pm 
Dusty Bin wrote:
Wharfie wrote:

Wharfie

Haven't what Wharfy, weeded out??

Which of the three criteria does yours come under then??

The population one is very arbitrary - presumably there are plenty of rural-ish areas with a population over 120,000, but fairly large urban areas under 120,000 that are not in the first phase.

I think we mentioned that with regard to our mate from Herts further up the thread.

Dusty

we are a metropolitain district, all are included, our land mass is three quarters rural.

wHARFIE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:13 pm 

Wharfie wrote:
we are a metropolitain district, all are included, our land mass is three quarters rural.

wHARFIE

Well Wharfie, I think you best start looking for WAVs or Skodas, depending on what colour plate you wish to put on the back.

I think by the time Phase 1 comes in, I doubt the zoning issue will still be in play. The way I see it panning out, is the urban trade will be served by HC WAVs and PH saloons, and the rural trade by PH saloons.

Lets face it, most people living in the sticks (or caves :D ) ring for a car now. So what difference will it make to them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:39 pm 

Sussex Man wrote:
I think by the time Phase 1 comes in, I doubt the zoning issue will still be in play. The way I see it panning out, is the urban trade will be served by HC WAVs and PH saloons, and the rural trade by PH saloons.

Lets face it, most people living in the sticks (or caves :D ) ring for a car now. So what difference will it make to them?

How can it if Wharfy's zone is part urban but mostly urban?

Halifax is quite a large urban area, but if Calderdale is dezoned then most of the area will be rural.

Dusty :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:41 pm 

Wharfie wrote:

wHARFIE

So presumably Calderdale is included because its population is over 120,000?

But since Calderdale is mostly rural then this shows the arbitrary nature of the test.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:28 am 
Dusty Bin wrote:
Wharfie wrote:

wHARFIE

So presumably Calderdale is included because its population is over 120,000?

But since Calderdale is mostly rural then this shows the arbitrary nature of the test.

Dusty

perhaps what you dont know is that britain is divided up in such a way as geen belt divides urban settlements.

My patch is the belt that divides Halifax from Huddersfield Oldham Rochdale and Burnley

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:52 am 

["Dusty Bin"]
How can it if Wharfy's zone is part urban but mostly urban?

Halifax is quite a large urban area, but if Calderdale is dezoned then most of the area will be rural.

Dusty :?[/quote]

Well we go back to the part of clause 1.4..... in the RRA.

The only taxi part that no-one really took much notice of, was the ending of zones within a district.

Put that with the no zoning judgment in Castlepoint, and a certain avenue is forming. :shock: