Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:46 pm 

Plenty of photos and description of the passers-by restraining the *alleged* attacker, but nothing on the *alleged* attack on the driver.

Which may be due to the contempt of court rules and the fact the *alleged* attacker has been arrested.

Man restrained by passers-by near Canterbury bus station for allegedly attacking taxi driver

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury ... ie-246259/

Image: Kent Online

Dramatic photos show the moment a man was pinned down by passers-by after allegedly attacking a cab driver.

The commotion happened at the taxi rank near Canterbury's city centre bus station.

The man was restrained on the floor by witnesses while they waited for police to arrive.

In footage of the incident, the man can be heard asking repeatedly to be allowed to sit up, and saying his children are watching from a nearby car.

When he is not allowed up, the man begins shouting, struggling and kicking his legs.

More people rush over to investigate what is happening and help restrain the man.

A scuffle ensues, as the man wrestles himself partly free and begins grappling with one of the people pinning him down.

Other passers-by try reasoning him, urging him to "calm down" - while others stand by and watch the scene unfold.

One man manoeuvres himself so he is lying beneath the suspect, and manages to hold him still using his legs until police officers arrive.

He is then handcuffed and placed under arrest.

Following the incident, which happened at 3.30pm Friday, a police spokesman said: "Officers attended and a 35-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of assault.

"He has since been bailed pending further enquiries and an investigation is ongoing."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:31 pm 

I suspect the passers by were in fact fellow cabbies from the rank.

I also suspect the fella arrested wanted to get in a cab, but the driver didn't want him to get in the cab.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:18 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I await the appearance of the story about a trial for false imprisonment. I bet the perps solicitors are rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect :sad:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:07 am 

Sussex wrote:
I suspect the passers by where in fact fellow cabbies from the rank.

I also suspect the fella arrested wanted to get in a cab, but the driver didn't want him to get in the cab.

Hadn't thought of the taxi driver angle, to be honest, and kind of took the newspaper's description at its word, but that's an obvious explanation, and even if some genuine passers-by did become involved, driver involvement is also a near certainty.

But according to the article the perp said his kids were waiting in a nearby car, so I'm thinking more like some kind of road rage incident, like the tailgater in Glasgow the other week who got out and punched the taxi driver.

Was also thinking about that 'road rage' murder in the Surrey supermarket car park the other day, but seems like the men there were actually known to each other, so that might have been about something else.

Then there's the possible George Floyd-style angle, watered down, of course.

But looks like the perp was white, so the taxi drivers should be OK :roll: 8-[