Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun May 16, 2021 11:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:04 pm 

Bit of a minor political stushie over this - obviously accusations of 'bribes' etc.

Anyway, the SNP have issued a fancy manifesto-style document which outlines specific steps they'd take within 100 days of being elected.

But leaving the politics of it all to one side, this was a headline on the Daily Record's site this morning:

Taxi firms to receive £10,000 grants if the SNP are re-elected in May

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/poli ... s-24000786

EXCLUSIVE: The move would be made in the SNP's first 100 days of a fourth term

It's essentially about two things. First, finance secretary Kate Forbes' previous promise to pay another £1,500 to taxi and PH badgeholders who got the first grant. The SNP's document doesn't refer to PHDs, but I'm assuming that's just an error rather than actually excluding them from eligibility. All the official stuff about the first grant stated taxi *and* private hire drivers.

Second, there's a new promise of 'up to £10,000 for taxi operator firms'.

Of course, there's the usual 'up to' qualification, so the grant could be any sum of money below that. (Again, presumably, the word 'taxi' includes private hire here.)

But in the Scottish legislation 'operator' means a plateholder, so it's basically promising 'up to £10,000 for taxi plateholder firms'.

But whether that's what's actually meant I'm not sure. I somehow doubt each of the 24,000 plateholders in Scotland will be getting another £10k, or anything like that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:05 pm 

That's an extract from the official document.

Apparently Dundee City Council used a very similar or identical phrase to 'taxi operator firms' for its discretionary fund, but that turned out to just be for fleet operators or offices, and not individual owner drivers.

So the first grant was quite clear with regard to badgeholders being those eligible, and that seems to be the case with the promise of a second £1,500 grant.

However, this additional £10k grant seems as clear as mud eligibility-wise.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:00 pm 

This is what Dundee City Council said last month under the headline 'Discretionary Business Grant Fund extended'.

Note the near identical phrase to 'taxi operator firms' used by the SNP:

Dundee City Council wrote:
There will also be specific support for taxi operating companies who may not employ staff directly but can evidence high fleet maintenance costs. They will be eligible for the higher grant of £10,000.

https://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/news/arti ... e_ref=3893

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:34 pm 

Seeing as the SNP are going to win control of Holyrood anyway then we Scots Taxi/PH operators and Drivers can take advantage of Sturgeons bribe without having to vote for the SNP just to get it.

But I still can't see how the SNP expect to pay for all this vote buying generosity without the money coming from the British Parliament.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:39 pm 

I've two plates, if she wants to throw £20'000 in grants at me I'll take it, if she also wants to send me and my driver wife an Extra £1500 each I'll take that as well.

But I really can't see that all happening.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:29 am 

bloodnock wrote:
I've two plates, if she wants to throw £20'000 in grants at me I'll take it, if she also wants to send me and my driver wife an Extra £1500 each I'll take that as well.

I don't think it was £10,000 per plate but nice try.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:39 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Is it me or does anyone else think this is an election bribe ?

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:43 am 

grandad wrote:
bloodnock wrote:

It was also described as "Up to" a £10,000 grant so if it's based on a descending scale based on size of business then my wee 2 car empire will receive around a fiver.

Anyhoos...her SNP will still not be getting my vote.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:45 am 

edders23 wrote:
Is it me or does anyone else think this is an election bribe ?

BRIBE !.....it's an outright cash offer for the votes of the trade.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:16 pm 

grandad wrote:

I suspect you're right, but far from clear what the pledge is, and (former) finance secretary Kate Forbes has tweeted this, which to me doesn't clarify things much:

Kate Forbes wrote:
Our plan to help Scotland’s taxi firms applies to both taxi operators and fleet operators. Hope this helps clarify things. More details can only be agreed after the election and, if re-elected, that’s exactly what we will do.

Since an operator here is a plateholder, she's effectively saying "our plans to help Scottish taxi firms applies to both taxi plateholders and fleet plateholders".

Which to me would mean that the grant applies to individual plateholders and multi-plateholders. But I don't think that's what Kate Forbes thinks it means, presumably because she doesn't know the precise ins and outs of the licensing system, and how the trade is structured :-s

And still no mention of private hire, although again I suspect that's an error rather than deliberate.

But all points to a back-of-a-fag-packet policy that the SNP are now struggling to clarify.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:39 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
It was also described as "Up to" a £10,000 grant so if it's based on a descending scale based on size of business then my wee 2 car empire will receive around a fiver.

Who knows, but my best guess is that it could be a grand or two a plate, say, but limited to £10k in total, to stop someone with twenty plates copping £40k, say.

Or maybe needs-based, or similar.

But if it's a fixed sum per plate, but limited to a £10k total, then it all becomes a bit murky with partnerships, companies and family members maybe having plates for tax reasons, say.

Which is why the badgeholder grant was at least relatively straightforward and transparent - one person, one grant [-(

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:32 am 

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=982880362483703

Quite a professional video from Glasgow Unite about the drivers' plight.

Not sure what to think of it, and maybe better not say too much, but it maybe could have been a tad shorter.

And no jokes about mill owners, please :-o

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:54 pm 

I think the points being put across are 100% valid.

But I feel they will be ignored by the council, who clearly don't give a flying ****.