Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun May 16, 2021 10:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:49 pm 

Edinburgh West Approach Road crash involving rickshaw leaves three seriously injured

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/ed ... h-20511526

Police say enquiries are ongoing in a bid to establish full circumstances surrounding the incident, which happened at around 10.35pm on Saturday night

Image: Edinburgh Live

Three people have been rushed to hospital following a serious crash involving a rickshaw in Edinburgh.

Emergency services rushed to the scene of the smash, on West Approach Road, at around 10.35pm on Saturday. Two vehicles were involved – a car and a rickshaw.

The rider and two passengers of the rickshaw were taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary with serious injuries.

Police say a 25-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the incident, but enquiries are ongoing in a bid to establish the full circumstances.

The road was closed overnight while officers carried out investigations at the scene, but is expected to reopen to traffic shortly. Parts of the area have also been cordoned off with police tape.

Images from the scene show multiple police and ambulance vehicles in attendance.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “We were called around 10.35pm on Saturday, 1 May, to a report of a serious crash on the West Approach Road, Edinburgh, involving a motor car and a rickshaw taxi. Three people, the rider and passengers of the rickshaw, have been taken to the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh with serious injuries.

“A 25 year-old man has been arrested in connection with the incident and enquiries are ongoing to establish the full circumstances. Anyone with information, dash-cam footage or private CCTV footage that could help with enquiries is asked to contact us on 101, quoting incident 4392 of Saturday, 1 May, 2021.”

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:52 pm 

Quote:
Three people have been rushed to hospital following a serious crash involving a rickshaw in Edinburgh.

Who would have thought?

Death traps, nothing more than death traps.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:00 pm 

Thought that version preferable to others, like this one on STV News, which stretches the word taxi a bit:

Man arrested as three injured in rickshaw taxi crash

https://news.stv.tv/east-central/man-ar ... taxi-crash

Three people were taken to hospital with serious injuries.

A man has been arrested after three people were seriously injured in a rickshaw taxi crash.

Police Scotland were called to a report of a collision on the West Approach Road, Edinburgh, at around 10.35pm on Saturday.

It involved a motor car and a rickshaw taxi.

Three people – the rider and passengers of the rickshaw – have been taken to the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh with serious injuries.

A Police Scotland spokesman said: “A 25-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the incident and enquiries are ongoing to establish the full circumstances.

“Anyone with information, dash-cam footage or private CCTV footage that could help with enquiries is asked to contact us on 101.”

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:01 pm 

A BBC News report also uses the phrase 'rickshaw taxi' once, and the Daily Record uses it a couple of times.

To be fair, I think that's just used to convey the fact that the rickshaw is being used commercially, which may be a bit more obvious to Edinburgh residents, but maybe not to people elsewhere in Scotland where most are probably not aware of this kind of thing. And obviously in this case there's no possibility of confusion with the real taxi trade, so in my opinion the t-word is perfectly appropriate here =D>

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:02 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
so Private hire rickshaw wouldn't convey the commercial aspect ?

I hope the passengers make a full recovery [-o<

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:28 pm 

edders23 wrote:
so Private hire rickshaw wouldn't convey the commercial aspect ?

Wouldn't convey the same meaning to someone outside the trade. Even 'rickshaw taxi' would leave a lot of readers a bit perplexed, but would certainly be more readily understandable to the vast majority of readers.

(And I'm not sure if it's the same in Edinburgh, but in Fife they're licensed as street traders, not private hire.)

edders23 wrote:

So you hope the rider won't? :roll:

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:11 pm 

A example of "It's not if, but when".

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:08 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
StuartW wrote:
edders23 wrote:

So you hope the rider won't? :roll:

I did not say that :wink: of course I want he or she to recover and then if they caused it they can be tried :wink: although I suspect it might well have been the car driver

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !