Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:40 pm 

Presumably the relevant council went through all the necessary procedures, but not impressed by the way this is reported at all.

Absolutely nothing about the driver's version of events, nor how the council approached it, in fact the article doesn't even name the council involved.

The only stuff reported here is what the couple told traffic police, and how police viewed the incident :roll:

Taxi driver dumped couple onto M6 hard shoulder 'for no reason' - now his licence has been revoked

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire- ... o-20537425

Police said there was "no excuse" for abandoning or dumping the occupants at the side of the motorway.

A couple were left stranded at the side of a motorway after being thrown out of a taxi.

The driver has now had his licence revoked in the interests of public safety.

The cab, travelling southbound on the M6, stopped near to junction 27 at Wigan and ejected the 'innocent' couple, dumping them on the hard shoulder at around 3am on Saturday, April 24.

North West Motorway Police received reports of pedestrian along the motorway and attended the scene to discover the couple stranded at the side of the carriageway.

The couple had money to pay the fare and no reason was found as to why they were ejected, officers said.

Police then took the couple off the M6 and dropped them safely home.

Officers then contacted the local Taxi Licensing Officers and they investigated the matter.

The Taxi Licensing Department then revoked his licence with immediate effect, in the interests of public safety.

Police said there was "no excuse" for abandoning or dumping the occupants at the side of the motorway.

A spokesperson for North West Motorway Police said: "On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 3am, reports were received of pedestrians on the M6 motorway, near to junction 27 on the southbound carriageway.

"When patrols attended, the innocent couple had been ejected from a taxi and dumped on the hard shoulder.

"The couple did have money to pay the fare and no reason was found as to why they were ejected. Officers took the couple off the network and dropped them safely home. We contacted the local Taxi Licensing Officers and they investigated the matter.

"The Taxi Licensing Department decided to revoke his licence with immediate effect, in the interests of public safety. There was no excuse for abandoning/dumping the occupants at the side of the motorway."

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:40 pm 

North West Motorway Police wrote:
"The couple did have money to pay the fare and no reason was found as to why they were ejected."

So did the driver actually respond in any way when he was asked why he ejected the couple?

I'm guessing he provided some sort of justification. It may not have been a good one, but this makes it sound like the driver's response was basically 'no comment'.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:27 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I doubt he would have dumped them had the couple been honest with him.

I suspect despite having the money to pay they were refusing to do so but doubt we will ever know. customers often try it on especially at night

That said he should have exited the motorway at the next exit and once clear of the motorway dumped them. A mistake that has cost the driver dear

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:04 pm 

edders23 wrote:
I suspect despite having the money to pay they were refusing to do so but doubt we will ever know. customers often try it on especially at night

What makes you think it was about the money?

We'll probably never know, but I'm guessing it was about something else.

Of course, the traffic police seem to think that the only problem drivers face is getting the cash. In fact I'm surprised they even seem to think that non-payment is an issue :x

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:23 pm 

Anyone else besides me ejected unruly passengers from their taxi?

When I have, I have refused payment, giving me the satisfaction of seeing them walking away.

Often with the woman giving the man earache for gobbling off to the short fused driver.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:13 pm 

Quote:

We all have, but the issue here is the location.

Got to be a lot more to it, but one has to hope the council asked the right questions of the driver and his version didn't add up.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:01 am 

jimbo wrote:

Very, very few, but would have *liked* to have ejected *hundreds* over the years.

Jimbo wrote:
When I have, I have refused payment, giving me the satisfaction of seeing them walking away.

That's a major reason I haven't ejected people that I would have preferred to - never really felt able to afford to forgo the payment, so I generally just grin and bear it, depending on the circumstances of course.

And another reason is to avoid the sort of situation arising in the article, but again it would depend on the circumstances. Round the corner from the rank wouldn't be a problem, for example, apart from the payment aspect, but a drunk on a freezing cold night in the middle of nowhere? They might die of exposure, and who would get the blame for that? :x

And I can't believe you've often 'refused payment' from rowdies you've ejected? Not saying payment has never been volunteered to you, but I suspect it's very rare for ejected passengers to volunteer the fare :-o

Jimbo wrote:
Often with the woman giving the man earache for gobbling off to the short fused driver.

That wouldn't worry me, obviously, but that points to another reason I would tend *not* to eject - it might all kick off and end up worse for me in some way or other :doubt:

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:42 am 

When we were Hackney's I had someone flag me down one night and asked will you take my parent home please for £30.00 The job was going into another County so no issue with using the meter. So I said yes and she gave me the £30.00. The couple got in the car and "he" immediately started, "I can't believe you wanted £30.00" and on and on. I said that £30.00 was offered, I did not ask for it. His mrs kept telling him to shut up but he wouldn't. I told him that I didn't intend to listen to his moaning all the way to the destination. If he didn't stop moaning I would stop the journey. He didn't stop moaning so I stopped the car and told them to get out. I gave him the £30.00 and told him to find another taxi. We had not got out of the town but it was about a mile from the centre. I think that was the only time I have ever ejected anyone.