Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:58 am 

Another 'taxi' that I'm guessing is a Glasgow PHV, and the screen is just some sort of temporary Covid measure - it's described as 'plastic sheeting'.

(Think Hampden Cars/Taxis (as it was called back then) does have some black cabs, but more likely to be PH saloon here.)

Taxi driver held at knifepoint for £100 fare after driving thug from Glasgow to Dundee

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/lo ... to-dundee/

Image: DCT Media/The Courier

A thug left empty-handed after trying to hold up a taxi driver at knifepoint to get back the £100 fare he had paid.

Ryan McKeever ripped off the protective screen of Hugh Martin’s taxi before jumping into the front seat.

McKeever said: “I’ve got a knife, give me what I have given you and your wallet.”

Mr Martin had driven the 29-year-old to Dundee’s West End from Glasgow after the would-be robber repeatedly changed his mind about where he wanted to go.

A sheriff warned McKeever he is now facing a lengthy prison term after he admitted trying to rob Mr Martin at knifepoint.

Glasgow to Dundee, via Perth

The city’s sheriff court heard how McKeever had asked Hampden Taxis for a driver to take him from Killermont Street in Glasgow to the city’s Argyle Street at 2.30am.

However, when Mr Martin arrived, McKeever demanded to be taken to Perth and paid £100 for the fare.

He told Mr Martin his girlfriend was in labour.

Fiscal depute Gavin Burton said: “The accused later said he actually needed to go to Perth Road in Dundee.

“As they drove on the street, the witness heard the accused unclip the plastic sheeting and began to feel uneasy.

“The accused demanded to be taken up side streets and along roads with no real purpose before shouting to stop.”

The driver asked for an extra £40 before McKeever threatened him with a knife.

Mr Martin continued to drive while looking for assistance and managed to alert a fellow driver.

McKeever fled the scene and his description was passed to police.

An officer with a dog handler joined the search and McKeever was found further north on Perth Road a short time later.

He was detained and denied having any sharp objects in his possession but officers found a 20cm kitchen knife in his jogging bottoms.

It was also established McKeever was in breach of a curfew imposed at Glasgow Sheriff Court.

He answered “no comment” to most of the questions put to him by police and had to be taken to Ninewells Hospital after revealing he had taken drugs earlier in the evening.

Prison warning

McKeever, a prisoner of HMP Glenochil, pled guilty to assaulting Mr Martin on February 11 by pulling back and damaging plastic sheeting in the taxi, climbing into the front seat, brandishing a knife and demanding that he give him money and his wallet in an attempt to rob him.

Solicitor Gordon Williams said: “The accused, in the cold light of day, wishes to tender his apologies to the taxi driver in what must have been a frightening experience.”

Sheriff Gregor Murray deferred sentence on McKeever until July for reports to be prepared.

He said: “I make it clear to you that I have very little alternative in this case than a substantial custodial sentence.”

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:24 pm 

4-6 years I hope.

[-o<

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:17 pm 

21 months :?

Article just a rehash by the looks of it, except for the following few paragraphs.

But it's a very new article, so might be updated later. Currently no specifics on his background, for example.

Jail for drunk passenger who tried to rob taxi driver in Dundee

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/lo ... in-dundee/

A sheriff today locked up McKeever after he previously admitted trying to rob Mr Martin at knifepoint.

Sheriff Gregor Murray said: “You drank to excess and ordered a taxi for a brief journey to Glasgow.

“For reasons entirely unclear, you then changed the direction of your journey.[...]

Solicitor Gordon Williams said: “The terms of the (social work) report make fairly bleak reading.

“Although, fortunately, the complainer was not physically injured, there is a pretty long-standing psychological impact and the poor man is still suffering the consequences of that.”

McKeever was sentenced to 21 months in prison.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:22 pm 

Quote:
McKeever was sentenced to 21 months in prison.