Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:54 pm 

Taxi driver fined after undercover fare crackdown

A taxi driver was fined after picking up a fare that wasn't pre-booked in a police and council sting.

Mohammed Rafiq picked up passengers in Wolverhampton city centre on September 28, 2019.

They asked to be taken to a hotel - but in reality were plain-clothes officers taking part in the City of Wolverhampton Council and West Midlands Police sting.

Rafiq was fined £1,000 after admitting driving without insurance and taking a fare that wasn't pre-booked. And picking up a fare that was not pre-booked also invalidated his insurance.

Officers from City of Wolverhampton Council interviewed Rafiq who initially denied any wrongdoing.

Rafiq, 46, of Deansfield Road, Wolverhampton, pleaded guilty to both offences when he appeared at Wolverhampton Magistrates court earlier this month.

He also received eight penalty points on his licence and was ordered to pay total fines and costs of £1,000.

Coun Philip Page, chairman of the council’s regulatory committee, said: “I am glad that our officers, working in partnership with the police, were able to take action against a driver flouting the law.”

The matter has now been reported to Shropshire Council who currently licence Mr Rafiq.

“We will take action against all taxi drivers who put the people of Wolverhampton at risk by driving without valid insurance, regardless of which local authority they hold a licence with,” Coun Page added.

City of Wolverhampton Council is running a ‘Get Home Safe’ campaign which aims to make sure members of the public are aware of the differences between hiring private hire cars and black hackney cabs on the street.

The campaign highlights the risks involved in taking an unlicensed vehicle and how to spot a legitimate taxi or private hire driver.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:56 pm 

Quote:
The matter has now been reported to Shropshire Council who currently licence Mr Rafiq.

So he was either licensed in Wolverhampton but now licensed in Shropshire, or he was licensed in Shropshire at the time.

Either way it's quite ironic that now Wolverhampton have a cross border issue of their own.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:01 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Either way it's quite ironic that now Wolverhampton have a cross border issue of their own.

Haha, I think our posts crossed, but much the same point as I made in the other thread :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:21 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Haha, I think our posts crossed, but much the same point as I made in the other thread :lol:

What's that they say about great minds? 8-[

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:25 am 

Sussex wrote:
So he was either licensed in Wolverhampton but now licensed in Shropshire, or he was licensed in Shropshire at the time.

Well spotted, and I suppose the money must be on him being Wolves-badged originally, but then went to Shropshire.

I mean, his address is in Wolverhampton, and if it's that easy to get badged and plated there, why would he go to Shropshire to start with?

Unless Shropshire is even easier to get licensed in than Wolverhampton [-X

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:29 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Quote:
Unless Shropshire is even easier to get licensed in than Wolverhampton

your memory is failing you :wink:

just to remind you before Wolverhampton jumped on the band wagon Shropshire was the cheapest licensing area and was being used by hundreds if not over a thousand west midland drivers which was cheesing off Birmingham city council and others . Maybe some of them never relicensed back to Wolverhampton ?

much discussed on here at the time

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:12 pm 

edders23 wrote:
your memory is failing you :wink:

Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. You know, you can recall the tiniest details of stuff from 40 years ago. But you've done the sum total of four jobs for last night's shift, but can't remember any of them :-s

Edders wrote:
just to remind you before Wolverhampton jumped on the band wagon Shropshire was the cheapest licensing area and was being used by hundreds if not over a thousand west midland drivers which was cheesing off Birmingham city council and others

Can't remember 8-[

On the other hand, what you say could well be impossible, because *Shropshire* is a relatively new unitary authority which has only been issuing badges and plates relatively recently? I'm guessing that it's only been a licensing authority for a couple of years *after* Wolverhampton came to prominence as the bargain basement council.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:31 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
this is a post from 2012 by poster TX11

Quote:
If the question is, can a Hackney from one area work for a Private hire or Taxi firm in another area, I think you should be asking yourself why they would want to? I see many Shropshire Hackneys working for PH in Birmingham and I can only guess that somehow they couldn't get a Brum licence, or have had their Brum licence revoked. Shropshire have now put a stipulation on their licenses saying that they should only work for local firms.

Not found the thread about the row between Birmingham city council and the previous Shropshire county council

here is part of the OP of a discussion about Shropshire county council changing it's policy posted by CC

Quote:
Council wins crown court taxi appeal

Shropshire Council has won a court case which upholds a decision taken in the interests of public safety to refuse to grant a taxi licence, because the vehicle would not be used mostly in the county.

A judge at Shrewsbury Crown Court has backed the decision of the council’s Licensing and Safety Sub-Committee to refuse to grant a hackney carriage vehicle licence to Mr Kaiser Latif from Birmingham.

The committee refused the licence on the grounds they could not be satisfied that the vehicle would be plying for hire to a material extent within the Bridgnorth zone for which he had applied.

On Friday 24 February Latif lost his crown court appeal against the decision and was ordered to pay costs of £300.

The judge, sitting with lay magistrates, found in favour of the council, taking into account all the information that was considered by the committee as well as the council’s newly agreed out-of-area taxi policy.

The council has a duty to ensure that it licenses drivers in line with High Court guidance, which includes the requirement that hackney carriages mostly operate in the council area, in the interests of public safety. If drivers from outside the county are not operating as agreed, this undermines these safeguards and means they cannot be effectively monitored to ensure the vehicles are safe.

Shropshire Council’s Cabinet agreed the ‘Intended Use Policy for the Licensing of Hackney Carriages’ policy on 8 February 2012. This came after a significant increase in demand for taxi licences in Shropshire, with the majority of hackney carriage applicants based outside the county. The policy sets out a clear position and procedure under which decisions will be made on hackney carriage applications where the intention is not to work mostly within the Shropshire Council area.

An enforcement campaign is also being carried out to ensure that, where licences are granted, the drivers are working mostly within the relevant Shropshire zone. The enforcement work includes checking records to confirm where the vehicles are working, out of hours monitoring exercises which can ultimately lead to licences being revoked if necessary, and sharing information with other councils.

Councillor Steve Charmley, Shropshire Council’s Cabinet member with responsibility for licensing, said:

“This is a great result. It shows that our policy and decision making is robust and is taken in the best interests of the public.

“Shropshire has sent a clear message to applicants or drivers who have been issued with licences to operate in the county, that if they have no intention to work here or they are unable to provide evidence that they are working predominantly in Shropshire, this practice in unacceptable and we will challenge it. We are pleased that the courts have supported our approach in this case and are confident about our approach in dealing with this practice.”

Councillor Peter Adams, chair of the licensing committee, added:

“It is important in protecting the safety of the public that we thoroughly process and issue licences, which includes consideration of the licensing of out-of-area hackney carriage vehicles.

“At the same time, we are carrying out work to enforce licensing conditions and have reviewed the drivers knowledge test to require a more thorough knowledge of the area in which drivers operate, to help ensure that passengers get a fair deal and reach their destination safely.”

Hackney carriage vehicles do not have to be pre-booked and can be hailed on the street. Private hire vehicles must be pre-booked, and customers should be quoted the exact fare when the booking is made.

source: http://shropshire.gov.uk/news/2012/03/c ... xi-appeal/

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:43 pm 

Ah, I see, thanks for that.

Also found this, which is along the same lines:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18529

No, I certainly don't recall that, but it was a bit before my time on here :wink:

But it was post-Berwick, and along the same lines as Rossendale, ie HCs working as de facto PHVs out-of-area, as opposed to the Wolverhampton PHVs working out-of-area these days.

Also, when I looked it up earlier as far as I could work out Shropshire Council was only ever a county council, thus wouldn't have been a licensing authority?

Anyway, that's a bit academic, and you were substantially correct.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:17 pm 

Quote:
and you were substantially correct.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:12 am 

According to Wikipedia the unitary Shropshire Council has existed since 2009, so that would explain things. Can't be bothered looking it up again, but the other night I was looking at the articles from a couple of years ago about Shropshire still having zones based on the old local authority areas, and something about mandating WAVs to bring all the zones into line, which I think, er, discombobulated me 8-[

Anyway, that's all a bit academic to the substantive point about the Shropshire-badged driver in the article.

So we don't know for definite whether he was licensed by Shropshire at the time of the offence. Or, assuming he was, what his motivation for licensing there was.

In fact it's not even clear whether he was driving a PHV, or maybe an HC that was out of area?

But we do know for sure that it all makes Wolverhampton City Council look a tad hypocritical [-(