Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:49 am 

It's definitely a recruitment pitch for GTL and that's fair enough.

They used to do a per-day radio hire rate, whereby you paid a flat fee each day you logged on but nothing if you didn't. I'd take that in a shot since I generally do 4 days a week and like to mix it up. But now it's just the full rental - too much of an overhead for me.

Yes, the cab trade lets you choose your own hours but the 'choice' quickly gets limited if you over-extend.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:10 am 

Episode 5 now online -

https://shows.acast.com/talking-taxis/e ... ooking-out

What do the public really think of Glasgow Taxi drivers and how do drivers believe they are perceived by the public and are any of theses perceptions justified. What can drivers do to change these opinions and will it have a long term impact on the taxi trade.

The takeaways for me were that hackneys have lost ground to PH apps and Uber, mainly on price and availability. Conceit/complacency in the hackney trade haven't and won't help this going forward. Don't think anyone would dispute that.

Both by word-of-mouth and on social media, passengers will remember and talk about a bad experience much more than a good experience. Basic customer service and vehicle cleanliness are mentioned as key.

There's a side note about the state and age of the fleet - I daresay there's some older cabs still going around until they run out of LEZ extensions come June or whenever. But as a passenger I'd think is it clean and does it get to where I want to go safely is what's important.

Meh, an interesting listen.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:14 pm 

The latest edition started with the boss man saying that we should all concentrate on the positive and not the negative.

I agree with him 100%. =D>

It's just a shame the rest of the podcast didn't follow that message. :lol:

The negativity in this trade is a massive problem. Yes, some of it is justified, but punters don't want to hear how bad things are. Especially when most of the time the trade is a really good profession for certain people (i.e. us) to work in.

Did laugh when the fella said the voice control didn't understand him. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:42 am 

Yes - misery loves company.

I may not turn cartwheels going out to work, but I'm usually pretty stoical. If you have a bad hire/shift just shake it off and hope the next one is better.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:40 pm 

Any more podcasts ?