Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bedroom Tax
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:30 pm 

Bedroom tax explained

Unless you’ve been on another planet for the last few months you’ll have seen headline after headline about the so-called ‘bedroom tax’ that is set to be introduced in April of this year. However, while the press are more than keen to talk about it almost every day, most people are not entirely sure what bedroom tax actually is or, at least, what it means for them.

What is bedroom tax?

Despite the name ‘bedroom tax’ now being commonly accepted, the changes the government are set to impose in April do not actually involve the introduction of a tax. Indeed, the bedroom tax is not actually a tax at all.

The changes being introduced apply to housing benefit. Those people claiming housing benefit usually receive between £50 and £100 a week. However, the government is trying to cut the benefits bill significantly and wants to reduce the amount of housing benefit given to some people.

Anyone deemed to be living in a house that is ‘too big’ for their needs will start receiving less benefit. If the local authorities believe you have too much space your housing benefit will be cut.

The size of the reduction will depend upon how much extra space a tenant has. If they have one spare room their housing benefit will be cut by 14%. If they have two spare rooms their housing benefit will be cut by 25%.

What is ‘too much space’?

According to the new rules every adult or couple in a property will be allowed their own bedroom. Children under the age of 16 and of the same gender will have to share a room. All children under the age of 10, regardless of gender, will have to share.

Who will be affected?

The changes will only affect council tenants and housing association tenants. If you rent a property from a private landlord you will not be affected.

Are there any exceptions?

Pensioners will be exempt from the cut. For a couple, only one person needs to be of pensionable age in order to escape the cut.

Parents who have a child away at university will be allowed to keep his or her bedroom, without facing a reduction in housing benefit, as long as the student stays at home for at least two weeks a year.

Anyone with a spare bedroom – for example a divorced parent who has a spare room for when their child/children come to stay – will see a reduction in their housing benefit.

source: http://www.gladstonebrookes.co.uk/blog/ ... explained/

Post subject: Re: Bedroom Tax
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:31 pm 

Absolute madness.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:36 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Absolute madness.

Why?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:47 pm 

grandad wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Absolute madness.

Why?

Because to me local authorities will employ inspectors with clipboards to go door to door finding out how many people live in a house - bearing in mind local authorities on the whole have sold off their housing stock to private companies - the whole thing just looks like big brother - perhaps because it is.

I get a genuine sense that this entire thing was brought about because of Daily mail readers being force fed stories about local authorities renting out £1million houses to Africans who receive housing benefits and don't pay - and maybe have aids.

I presume you are old enough to remember the housing schemes developed after the second world war - there is now (and has been since Thatcher) a stigma about social housing - but lets not forget why we have social housing - its because before the second world war people were living in slums.

This entire idea is degrading - what if a family live in an area for 20 years - have kids and the kids move away - do the man and wife then have to move - maybe to an area where there is a suitable house but many miles from where they have been for two decades?

Should the government decide that?

They mention pensioners being exempt - great for them - but what about 50 - 65 year olds - do they have to move?

Moreover - should it be decided by a bloke with a clip board or council committee - or private business?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:53 pm 

I suppose it boils down to the question who is more deserving of a three bedroom house.

The couple who's children have all moved out, or the couple with loads of kids living in B&B.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:54 pm 

captain cab wrote:
They mention pensioners being exempt - great for them - but what about 50 - 65 year olds - do they have to move?

Not being asked to move, just pay more rent.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:56 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I suppose it boils down to the question who is more deserving of a three bedroom house.

The couple who's children have all moved out, or the couple with loads of kids living in B&B.

Of course - a council or local authority housing scheme actually building a three bedroomed house - thus bringing a much needed stimulus to the local area in terms of work for the building trade is beyond the ken of many a man?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:56 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

Not being asked to move, just pay more rent.

Yeah that's fair - because they have so much money .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:59 pm 

Quote:
The changes will only affect council tenants and housing association tenants. If you rent a property from a private landlord you will not be affected.

Surely this is discriminating if true :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:07 pm 

toots wrote:

Surely this is discriminating if true :?

In general - people living in council accommodation don't vote tory and rarely have duck ponds - so they must obviously suffer. However, we live in a truly horrible country - one where others will willingly stand on the face of someone else to get to the top of a sh*tty pole - Thatchers children everyone of us.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:10 pm 

Feckin madness from the lovable tories,its a bit like the window tax.Thatchers doing from selling council houses off and making slumlords,would it not be better to invest in building more homes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:16 pm 

blackpool wrote:
Feckin madness from the lovable tories,its a bit like the window tax.Thatchers doing from selling council houses off and making slumlords,would it not be better to invest in building more homes.

Well that was the only reason I could think of as to why it doesn't affect those in private rented accommodation, they clearly don't want to have to build more homes they'd rather uproot people and make those homes available to those that need the space. I don't recall them building very many one bedroom social housing though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:22 pm 

When will the penny drop and people see whats going on,people in the lower 75/80% of the country are being squeezed from all sides especially moneywise and were still all in it together !! I bet dave and gideon have plenty of spare rooms :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:28 pm 

blackpool wrote:
When will the penny drop and people see whats going on,people in the lower 75/80% of the country are being squeezed from all sides especially moneywise and were still all in it together !! I bet dave and gideon have plenty of spare rooms :roll:

The penny won't drop because people are being convinced that benefits cost the country a small fortune :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:31 pm 

toots wrote:

The penny won't drop because people are being convinced that benefits cost the country a small fortune :wink:

They do, but what costs much more are silly nuclear weapons systems - corrupt banks being propped up - invasions of foreign countries (and bombing those we don't like) - supplying countries with arms (in the name of peace and democracy) to name but a few.