Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:07 pm 

In the current climes where work is scarce, would using your licensed vehicle to commute to a temporary place of work be a problem If it has only got social, domestic and pleasure on it, or is it possible to have commuting added to it?
I just wanted to know before I contacted my insurance company if was possible, because I don’t want to have to de-plate my vehicle just yet, Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:25 pm 

agabbycabbie wrote:
In the current climes where work is scarce, would using your licensed vehicle to commute to a temporary place of work be a problem If it has only got social, domestic and pleasure on it, or is it possible to have commuting added to it?
I just wanted to know before I contacted my insurance company if was possible, because I don’t want to have to de-plate my vehicle just yet, Thanks.

depends if you class the massage parlour as social, work or pleasure

:badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:36 pm 

agabbycabbie wrote:

I think commuting to work is not the same as social, domestic and pleasure, so there could well be a premium added to your insurance. But shouldn't be too much IMO.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:39 am 

Sussex wrote:
agabbycabbie wrote:

I think commuting to work is not the same as social, domestic and pleasure, so there could well be a premium added to your insurance. But shouldn't be too much IMO.

be unusual for insurers to miss an earner

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:45 pm 

You have social and domestic as standard on your insurance, so your covered, I take my public hire Skoda on holiday, and tow a caravan with it, just leave the sign and plates on

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:20 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
You have social and domestic as standard on your insurance, so your covered, I take my public hire Skoda on holiday, and tow a caravan with it, just leave the sign and plates on

That is an answer to a question that wasn't asked. :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:57 am 

skippy41 wrote:

Has the caravan been tested by the Council as it is part of the Hackney carriage when being towed and should be plated by the Council same as the hackney carriage.Have you informed your insurance company that you tow an untested trailer.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:51 pm 

heathcote wrote:
skippy41 wrote:

Has the caravan been tested by the Council as it is part of the Hackney carriage when being towed and should be plated by the Council same as the hackney carriage.Have you informed your insurance company that you tow an untested trailer.

Not if it's being used only for Social and Domestic purposes.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:47 am 

skippy41 wrote:

how many passengers is the caravan plated for?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:19 pm 

My private car insurance actually went down when I added commuting to and from a place of work, and more surprising, when I added carrying passengers not for hir and reward in the course of my employer's business, it went down a bit more.

I now work as a rail replacement bus driver/supervisor and often have to take other staff to and from stations away from the home depot. Hence the complexity.

It may be that someone who drives regularly is probably a better driver than one who drives on Sundays and bank holidays.