Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:00 pm 

A valid plate till end of feb but your MOT expired a week ago, would you expect licensing to be in touch?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:48 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
A valid plate till end of feb but your MOT expired a week ago, would you expect licensing to be in touch?

no

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:58 pm 

Are councils expected to check that MoTs have been renewed?

Normally, I wouldn't expect so, although in principle can't see any reason they wouldn't be able to do it routinely if they wanted to, it's just that I doubt if any councils actually do it.

However, maybe if they've modified their normal council test procedures because of Covid, and are relying solely on the MoTsystem, then they could be actively checking for compliance. Or something like that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:14 pm 

StuartW wrote:

Normally, I wouldn't expect so, although in principle can't see any reason they wouldn't be able to do it routinely if they wanted to, it's just that I doubt if any councils actually do it.

However, maybe if they've modified their normal council test procedures because of Covid, and are relying solely on the MoTsystem, then they could be actively checking for compliance. Or something like that.

Your assuming that they do something when they're in

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:43 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:

Not really as it's a police matter.

You could also taken the cab off the road for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:07 pm 

Sussex wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

Not really as it's a police matter.

You could also taken the cab off the road for a while.

But you would still have to have insurance unless you have sorned the vehicle, license is valid until expiry date.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:45 pm 

StuartW wrote:

they do here in glasgow,enforcement out regularly with clipboard and mot data for all cabs in the city,albeit less with covid
even though we are not required to have an mot,big stushie couple of years ago,member of public took the hump with her taxi ride and checked the gov mot database and discovered the taxi didnt have an mot,complained to the city council who basically shat their pants and made us all get mots

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:47 pm 

so if i plate the day before my insurance/MOT/Tax expire my LA wouldnt ask for the new paperwork?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:52 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
so if i plate the day before my insurance/MOT/Tax expire my LA wouldnt ask for the new paperwork?

They may, or they may say come back tomorrow with the new stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:35 am 

JozefBloggz wrote:
they do here in glasgow,enforcement out regularly with clipboard and mot data for all cabs in the city,albeit less with covid
even though we are not required to have an mot,big stushie couple of years ago,member of public took the hump with her taxi ride and checked the gov mot database and discovered the taxi didnt have an mot,complained to the city council who basically shat their pants and made us all get mots

Interesting.

Of course, anyone can check MoT/tax/insurance status with a few mouse clicks these days, so hardly suprising that some councils might do likewise on an ongoing basis, quite apart from the document checks when they renew your plate.

Surprised they just didn't explain the situation to the woman, though, and left it at that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:37 am 

Wanna wrote:

Up to them, but I suspect it's considered good practice to check they're up to date.

By the same token, my badge expires a few days after my insurance renewal, so sometimes my insurers ask me for a copy of my new badge when it's renewed. But that depends on the insurer, and maybe even the member of staff processing it. Or maybe if you've got a dodgy history...

So hardly surprising that councils will approach these things differently. But would hardly be a surprise if they do check stuff on an ongoing basis, maybe even on ad hoc basis.

Particularly if you're being issued with three-year licences (as is usually optional in Scotland). I mean, chances are an MoT will run out during the licence period, and you can cancel an insurance policy at any time.

Just like councils have different procedures for inspecting the vehicles, they'll have different procedures for inspecting the paperwork.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:45 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:

Councils who require an MOT certificate usually state that it must have been issued within a certain time before the appliction date.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:36 pm 

grandad wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

Councils who require an MOT certificate usually state that it must have been issued within a certain time before the appliction date.

Ours does (Cheshire West and Chester) it has to be within a calendar month of when your plate is applied for.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:32 pm 

does lack of an MOT invalidate insurance?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:00 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
does lack of an MOT invalidate insurance?

Not your third party liabilities, but possibly your own liabilities.