Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:47 pm
Posts: 15487
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Northamptonshire has just formed one of these and now Lincolnshire is proposing to following suit this is making me wonder

If all the district councils are abolished and replaced with a single unitary authority covering the entire county and Lincolnshire is a very large county what would happen to our trade

SKDC have abolished local council offices so we have to deal remotely with them anyway but there are different tables of fares for each district and in SKDC we are technically deregulated how will that square up and more to the point how are they going to deal with Licensing and enforcement from 40 miles away ?

Councils don't normally release information or consult till after it is done and dusted so this must be already in motion 8-[

Will this mean fake badge application details as licensing is by post ?

will we have a single table of fares for the whole county ?

Would the county impose a wav only policy on the whole county ? And if they do what's to stop the drivers all getting Rutland and Huntingdonshire plates and illegally picking up off the streets anyway ?

Enforcement is usually only a once a year visit to the town will this get worse ?

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:27 pm
Posts: 18713
I suppose the best people to ask are the drivers in areas that have already been in this position. I know Dorset has recently done this.

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:23 pm
Posts: 4391
Location: Lincoln
There are seven local councils in Lincolnshire. They all have different licensing regimes. I think to start with, you can easily put aside the fare tariff in a unitary authority. Not difficult to sort that one. The heffalump in the room would be vehicle standards. Some have age limits, others do not. Some have a policy of WAV only, others do not. Well, one has a WAV only policy, Lincoln. So how to sort out an equitable, fair, one size fits all vehicle specification? All saloon? All WAV? As if we don’t already live in interesting times!

_________________
Father of the rank.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:47 pm
Posts: 15487
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
jimbo wrote:
There are seven local councils in Lincolnshire. They all have different licensing regimes. I think to start with, you can easily put aside the fare tariff in a unitary authority. Not difficult to sort that one. The heffalump in the room would be vehicle standards. Some have age limits, others do not. Some have a policy of WAV only, others do not. Well, one has a WAV only policy, Lincoln. So how to sort out an equitable, fair, one size fits all vehicle specification? All saloon? All WAV? As if we don’t already live in interesting times!



South Holland is WAV only :wink:

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:23 pm
Posts: 4391
Location: Lincoln
edders23 wrote:
jimbo wrote:
There are seven local councils in Lincolnshire. They all have different licensing regimes. I think to start with, you can easily put aside the fare tariff in a unitary authority. Not difficult to sort that one. The heffalump in the room would be vehicle standards. Some have age limits, others do not. Some have a policy of WAV only, others do not. Well, one has a WAV only policy, Lincoln. So how to sort out an equitable, fair, one size fits all vehicle specification? All saloon? All WAV? As if we don’t already live in interesting times!



South Holland is WAV only :wink:


Don’t see what the Netherlands has got to do with it...

_________________
Father of the rank.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:47 pm
Posts: 15487
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
jimbo wrote:
edders23 wrote:
jimbo wrote:
There are seven local councils in Lincolnshire. They all have different licensing regimes. I think to start with, you can easily put aside the fare tariff in a unitary authority. Not difficult to sort that one. The heffalump in the room would be vehicle standards. Some have age limits, others do not. Some have a policy of WAV only, others do not. Well, one has a WAV only policy, Lincoln. So how to sort out an equitable, fair, one size fits all vehicle specification? All saloon? All WAV? As if we don’t already live in interesting times!



South Holland is WAV only :wink:


Don’t see what the Netherlands has got to do with it...


think it's in Latvia or Estonia actually

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 47624
Location: 1066 Country
Quote:
Will this mean fake badge application details as licensing is by post ?

I doubt it, but who knows.

Quote:
will we have a single table of fares for the whole county ?

I would imagine so.

Quote:
Would the county impose a wav only policy on the whole county ? And if they do what's to stop the drivers all getting Rutland and Huntingdonshire plates and illegally picking up off the streets anyway ?

I would be very surprised if they do. They might zone areas, or they might give existing plate holders grandfather rights.

Quote:
Enforcement is usually only a once a year visit to the town will this get worse ?

Well the council might have more finances to fund such enforcement.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:56 pm
Posts: 2213
Enforcement is a huge problem in these unitary authorities.
Know of one authority that has no control of taxi drivers as it does not have any By-Laws and it openly admits it has no control.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:47 pm
Posts: 15487
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
heathcote wrote:
Enforcement is a huge problem in these unitary authorities.
Know of one authority that has no control of taxi drivers as it does not have any By-Laws and it openly admits it has no control.



which one ?

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:30 pm
Posts: 988
Location: The Global Market
It is about time that the debate moved away from local authority licencing to the creation of a traffic commissioner equivalent.

You could have 'free to roam' PH and hackneys would need to pass a knowledge test to ply for hire in a certain zone.

I might be being a bit too radical for some but......

(tin hat on, chin strap in place).

_________________
A member of the Hire or Reward Industry


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:23 pm
Posts: 4391
Location: Lincoln
Tom Thumb wrote:
It is about time that the debate moved away from local authority licencing to the creation of a traffic commissioner equivalent.

You could have 'free to roam' PH and hackneys would need to pass a knowledge test to ply for hire in a certain zone.

I might be being a bit too radical for some but......

(tin hat on, chin strap in place).


PH plying for hire? Nothing new there, then!

_________________
Father of the rank.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:47 pm
Posts: 15487
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
jimbo wrote:
Tom Thumb wrote:
It is about time that the debate moved away from local authority licencing to the creation of a traffic commissioner equivalent.

You could have 'free to roam' PH and hackneys would need to pass a knowledge test to ply for hire in a certain zone.

I might be being a bit too radical for some but......

(tin hat on, chin strap in place).


PH plying for hire? Nothing new there, then!



I'm sure there's a council somewhere in The UK where they don't !Can't think of one off the top of my head

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 47624
Location: 1066 Country
Tom Thumb wrote:
It is about time that the debate moved away from local authority licencing to the creation of a traffic commissioner equivalent.

You could have 'free to roam' PH and hackneys would need to pass a knowledge test to ply for hire in a certain zone.

I might be being a bit too radical for some but......

(tin hat on, chin strap in place).

That's not too far away from what the Law Commission suggested, all those years ago.

I think if the Gov was going to go down that route they would have already.

Uber would love it.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:56 pm
Posts: 2213
edders23 wrote:

which one ?


Durham


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:27 pm
Posts: 18713
edders23 wrote:
jimbo wrote:
Tom Thumb wrote:
It is about time that the debate moved away from local authority licencing to the creation of a traffic commissioner equivalent.

You could have 'free to roam' PH and hackneys would need to pass a knowledge test to ply for hire in a certain zone.

I might be being a bit too radical for some but......

(tin hat on, chin strap in place).


PH plying for hire? Nothing new there, then!



I'm sure there's a council somewhere in The UK where they don't !Can't think of one off the top of my head

You do not get Melton licensed PH plying for hire in Melton. We do get some from Charnwood, Leicester and Rushcliffe though.

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group